Volvo 850 towcar

Old November 3rd 03, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
magpies

Default Volvo 850 towcar

I am looking at buying a volvo 850 saloon to use as a towcar. Can anyone
give me any advice or diadvantages before I buy? I use a Volvo 740 now but
need a bit more umph

TIA Steve

Old November 3rd 03, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

magpies wrote:

I am looking at buying a volvo 850 saloon to use as a towcar. Can anyone
give me any advice or diadvantages before I buy?

Go for the five-cylinder turbo-diesel. Audi unit, not hi-tech or the
best consumption, but loads of torque (for its day, of course).

Stuart
--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old November 3rd 03, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
ex.com...
magpies wrote:

I am looking at buying a volvo 850 saloon to use as a towcar. Can

anyone
give me any advice or diadvantages before I buy?

Go for the five-cylinder turbo-diesel. Audi unit, not hi-tech or the
best consumption, but loads of torque (for its day, of course).

Stuart
--

I would second that. I tow with a V70 2.5D (slightly later version of the
850 Estate) and that tows very well - mostly holding 70mph in 5th gear on

Roger

Old November 3rd 03, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jo

I have been towing with a 850 2.5 20v saloon for the past 6 years--
I pull a Swift Archway Barnwell and last year managed over all consumption
of 28.8 mpg when towing in France (2,800 miles) on board computer helps you
monitor this.

I would not change my tow car for any thing -- Air conditioning - ABS -
good heavy car - 170bhp developed down at 2000 rpm and above all comfort.
If I had the choice over again - but not now - I might have had the self
levelling suspension - but it isn't any problem - that would have just put
the icing on a very good tow car.

We have looked at the replacements with the diesel engines -- cheaper in
France to run - but over all it would not be worth buying the diesel just
for the French holiday.

Do go for the 20valve 2.5 it has the additional torque over the 10valve
(144bhp)
The smaller engines i.e. 2.0 develop 126bhp -10valve and 143bhp -20valve
The acceptable nose weight is 75 kg
Saloon Kerb weight is 1511 Kg 85% = 1284kg
Estate Kerb weight is 1567kg 85% =1331kg

Volvos maximum permissible towing weight = 1600kg
Roof load = 100kg

Hope this helps.

--
(All Incoming and Outgoing Emails Scanned With Norton Antivirus 2003)

Old November 3rd 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"jo" wrote in message

I would not change my tow car for any thing -- Air conditioning - ABS -
good heavy car - 170bhp developed down at 2000 rpm

!!! I don't think so! Might have its max TORQUE at 2000 rpm but NOT its max
POWER!

Roger

Old November 3rd 03, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jo

Perfectly true---

170 bhp at 6200 rpm
Max torque at 3300 rpm

What I should have said was that the engine develops a great deal of power
at low revs and has enough hors power to pull a semi-detached house !!

It still is a VERY good tow car...

Old November 3rd 03, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

jo wrote:

We have looked at the replacements with the diesel engines -- cheaper in
France to run - but over all it would not be worth buying the diesel just
for the French holiday.

Diesel's advantages aren't limited to economy and French prices. There's
also the issue of torque at lower rpm, a major issue for towing and one
at which diesels invariably outperform similar petrol engined cars.

The test is how many turb-diesel towers would go back to petrol!

Stuart

Old November 3rd 03, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--

"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
pex.com...
jo wrote:

The test is how many turb-diesel towers would go back to petrol!

Stuart

Not me.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old November 3rd 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doki

jo wrote:

We have looked at the replacements with the diesel engines -- cheaper in
France to run - but over all it would not be worth buying the diesel

just
for the French holiday.

Diesel's advantages aren't limited to economy and French prices. There's
also the issue of torque at lower rpm, a major issue for towing and one
at which diesels invariably outperform similar petrol engined cars.

The test is how many turb-diesel towers would go back to petrol!

Or how many Turbo Petrol drivers would go to a Turbo Diesel .

Old November 3rd 03, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

Doki wrote:

Or how many Turbo Petrol drivers would go to a Turbo Diesel .

Not quite the same! I said _back_ to petrol. ;-)

The characteristics of many turbo petrol engines (max power at high
revs) is the opposite of what's needed for towing.

Stuart