Those cheap Maplin digital multimeters

Old November 3rd 03, 03:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HN

Default Those cheap Maplin digital multimeters

Hi guys

Just a word to the wise regarding those yellow digital multimeters
that Maplin were selling last year, at 2 for 4.99.

I was checking a friend's caravan battery installation on Saturday,
and during the session, the meter, for absolutely no reason
attributable to me, decided to go short circuit on the 20volt range!

So it lasted just over the 12 months ( Fortunately I have an
older(but larger) digi meter to revert to.

Neil

Old November 3rd 03, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"HN" wrote in message

So it lasted just over the 12 months :....

Have Maplins exchanged it for you?

Please reply to News Group.

Old November 3rd 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

"HN" wrote in message
Hi guys

Just a word to the wise regarding those yellow digital multimeters
that Maplin were selling last year, at 2 for 4.99.

I was checking a friend's caravan battery installation on Saturday,
and during the session, the meter, for absolutely no reason
attributable to me, decided to go short circuit on the 20volt range!

Thats why you get two - to use in series - G

Roy

Old November 6th 03, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HN

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:37:34 -0000, "David"
wrote:

"HN" wrote in message
.. .

So it lasted just over the 12 months :....

Have Maplins exchanged it for you?

I doubt that Maplins would be interested if it's over the year old,
which I'm sure it is, if only I can find the receipt! I might give it
a try when I'm next going in that direction. Ubfortunately, a special
journey to Maplin would, for me at least, cost more than the value of
the meter.

Neil

Old November 19th 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Neil,
A years warranty may be what the manufactures wants you to accept. But a
change in the consumer laws recently has reinforced, the fit for the job
rules. I.e. You don't buy a product like a meter that will only last a
year(who would buy it?). You will find most manufactures will willingly
replace an item if it has not been abused as did with Whale when my pump
failed after 3 years. Also I had a Remis roof lite replaced after it failed
at 3 years old. Avondale didn't want to know and told me to take it up with
the manufacturers which I did with good results. After all you hope to keep
a van for say 10 years without any major components failing again I ask the
question who would buy a van that is falling to bits and unsaleable after a
couple of Years? All this is all very well I dealing with expensive caravan
bits and pieces, but as mutimeters are as cheap as chips would it be worth
the effort?
Mike Sansom
wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:37:34 -0000, "David"
wrote:

.. .

Old November 21st 03, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HN

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:28:45 GMT, "Mike"
wrote:

[...]

Valid comment Mike! I may just take it back when I next go to
Maplins, but as I say, a special trip would cost more than the value
of the meter.

Neil

Old November 21st 03, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Neil,
They are always a phone call away.
Mike