Looking at buying a 4x4 for towing, help please.

Old November 3rd 03, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rj

Default Looking at buying a 4x4 for towing, help please.

Hi, i am looking at buying a 4x4 for towing and am not too sure on what to
get, it will be as a second car so it will only rearly be used for towing of
the van and not for day to day use. I have only got a budget of about 4000
for a second hand one.

Has anyone had a good 4x4 which they use for towing?

thank you.
Richard.

Old November 3rd 03, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Rj tried to scribble ...

Hi, i am looking at buying a 4x4 for towing and am not too sure on
what to get, it will be as a second car so it will only rearly be
used for towing of the van and not for day to day use. I have only
got a budget of about 4000 for a second hand one.

Has anyone had a good 4x4 which they use for towing?

thank you.
Richard.

Yup .. Landrover Discovery. All the pulling ability of a tractor, with the
comfort of a car.

And stacks of fun if you fancy green-laning or off-road trials ..

--
Digweed

Old November 3rd 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smk

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

Yup .. Landrover Discovery. All the pulling ability of a tractor, with

the
comfort of a car.

....and the reliability of a Morris Marina

during a 130 mile drive on the M1 recently, I saw no less than 4 Discovery's
broken down on the hard shoulder.

Even the latest models continue to have problems, 'exploding' clutches
(according to the reviews) on fairly low mileage vehicles, which Landover
reuse to cover under warranty.

Go Jap if you want a 4x4 that's good off road and extremely reliable in
everyday use

Old November 3rd 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Smk tried to scribble ...

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

Yup .. Landrover Discovery. All the pulling ability of a tractor,
with the comfort of a car.

...and the reliability of a Morris Marina

during a 130 mile drive on the M1 recently, I saw no less than 4
Discovery's broken down on the hard shoulder.

Even the latest models continue to have problems, 'exploding'
clutches (according to the reviews) on fairly low mileage vehicles,
which Landover reuse to cover under warranty.

Go Jap if you want a 4x4 that's good off road and extremely reliable
in everyday use

Heheheh .. tell that to the Shogun owner who we towed out of a quarry
recently .. His centre diff had broken, he told us, and he had no drive at
all ...

Our Disco has, since Sept 2nd, covered 3500 miles, 1500 approx towing a
loaded caravan or trailer, with no hint of a problem.

In this time we've also competed in two RTV trials and off-roaded (played)
about three times as well as driven quite a few green lanes, covering maybe
500 miles off-road ..

I have found a lot of the horror stories regarding Landrovers to be just
that, horror stories. Frankly though, I don't care - I repair / service my
own vehicles and any LR product is a joy to work on, and I love 'em ..

--
Digweed

Old November 3rd 03, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Paul
Cohen writes
In article ,
(Smk) wrote:

...and the reliability of a Morris Marina

Yes, it's a shame, because the OR capability of all the LR's (bar the
Freelander) and the RR is excellent. As you say, if you want reliability,
get a Jap.

But then you have the problem of cost of parts and insurance. And whilst
everyone and his friend can fix and make pattern parts for LR's, they're
not so commonplace for Japs.

When the poster says 'only 4000', that gives quite a lot of choice.

I agree - unless you want the best off-roader, steer clear of LR and RR.

Paul C.

If you are the DIY mechanic type then I would say any LR from Defender
to RR is OK. At he price range you are talking any vehicle can
potentially give problems and LR parts are readily available and cheap.
There's a whole industry out there producing pats and accessories for
Land Rovers. Also if you don't like getting your hands dirty there are
plenty of independent LR dealers around much cheaper than the official
dealers. On the other hand if you go for the Jap crap your are almost
inevitably consigned to paying official prices at official dealers.

I've had 2 Jeeps Cherokee and Grand and the latter was in the dealers so
often it became a standing joke in the office. I now have a Defender 90
4.0 litre V8 and tows anything anywhere. It even has a heater and air
con!!

The LR V8 engines are also easy to convert to LPG and depending on and
the pre Series 2 Discos and the Classic RR can take underslung tanks if
you're not going seriously off-roading.
--
hugh
Old November 4th 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Man in the tree

So, then...

A choice..

I could buy a Toyato, Nissan, Isuzu, etc. which will be reliable,
comfortable and so on; and when it eventually has a mechanical problem, it
might be a bit expensive to fix.....OR...

I could buy a Disco, which will be unreliable, but will be easy and cheap to
fix by any Backyard DIYer...

That's a tough decision....huh?

Trefor

Old November 4th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Splashlube

I've had 2 Jeeps Cherokee and Grand and the latter was in the dealers so
often it became a standing joke in the office. I now have a Defender 90
4.0 litre V8 and tows anything anywhere. It even has a heater and air
con!!

I tow with a Cherokee 4 litre. Tows a large caravan with ease and copes more
than adequately with a car transporter and a one and a half ton veteran on the
back. Also tows a stock trailer. Comfortable with all the bits as well.

Used to have 3.5 Rangies gutless compared and kept having to throw them away
coz they kept rusting out. nasty things never again.

Andy
Old November 5th 03, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
NJF

The Man in the tree wrote:

So, then...

A choice..

I could buy a Toyato, Nissan, Isuzu, etc. which will be reliable,
comfortable and so on; and when it eventually has a mechanical problem, it
might be a bit expensive to fix.....OR...

I could buy a Disco, which will be unreliable, but will be easy and cheap to
fix by any Backyard DIYer...

That's a tough decision....huh?

Trefor

300 TDi disco, cheaper than a lot of jap 4x4's, and less likely to be a problem
with parts, jap grey imports are not supported very well from what I've found.
And expensive, Pajero/shogun electric radio antenna 200 quid !
Forget petrol jeeps and range-rovers/discos, unless gas converted the fuel cost
is painful...BTDT.
Reliablity, j plate 200 tdi, 160k miles, still going strong....250k miles not
uncommon, but service history is important!

Go for something that has good support locally and nationally, and isn't rare in
europe if you tour, watching watchdog L/R seem to be more customer aware than a
lot of other firms now.

Niel

Old November 6th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rj

yes have been watching watchdog, and they are looking very good at the mo.
so it is now looking like it will have to be a Disco........my in-laws do
have one and that is a petrol version, but i will get one i can convert to
gas to cut down on cost....

Cheers guys for the help....
Richard.