Toyota RAV4 as a tow car?

Old November 3rd 03, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gottabefun

Default Toyota RAV4 as a tow car?

Before I look for a caravan for my car (1999 VX model) - can anyone comment
whether its up for the job?
The spec says yes - but I'd rather hear from an unbiased source!
Any one out there who can advise from their own experience?

Thanks in advance

Old November 3rd 03, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"gottabefun" wrote in message
| Before I look for a caravan for my car (1999 VX model) - can anyone
comment
| whether its up for the job?
| The spec says yes - but I'd rather hear from an unbiased source!
| Any one out there who can advise from their own experience?

Unless you're buying just for the looks, make sure any 4x4 has a locking
centre diff.
Very useful on muddy CLs

Budgie

---

Old November 3rd 03, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Adrian

Hi Tony

Before I look for a caravan for my car (1999 VX model) - can anyone comment
whether its up for the job?
The spec says yes - but I'd rather hear from an unbiased source!
Any one out there who can advise from their own experience?

I bought a RAV4 this year - it's the 2-litre petrol, and so far it's
been an excellent tow car. Previously had a Merc A-class - which gave
a pretty rough ride solo and pitched like crazy with the van on the
back.

Fuel economy is not wonderful - about 32 solo and 24 with the van on
(Van's a ten-year-old Craftsman 13-footer).

RAV4 seems very stable when towing, nice tight turning circle, plenty
of power. If only I could stop the darn plastic rivets that hold down
the battery cover from rattling I'd be unable to fault it! g

Hope this helps
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Old November 4th 03, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doki

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi Tony

Before I look for a caravan for my car (1999 VX model) - can anyone

comment
whether its up for the job?
The spec says yes - but I'd rather hear from an unbiased source!
Any one out there who can advise from their own experience?

I bought a RAV4 this year - it's the 2-litre petrol, and so far it's
been an excellent tow car. Previously had a Merc A-class - which gave
a pretty rough ride solo and pitched like crazy with the van on the
back.

You towed a caravan in an A-Class???

Old November 4th 03, 06:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Adrian

Hi Doki

I bought a RAV4 this year - it's the 2-litre petrol, and so far it's
been an excellent tow car. Previously had a Merc A-class - which gave
a pretty rough ride solo and pitched like crazy with the van on the
back.

You towed a caravan in an A-Class???

Yes - for a very short while g
Back from the van dealers, actually.

We were about to go away in the van for the first time & sanity
prevailed - so the A-class got swapped for the RAV4.
Great improvement!

Nothing wrong with the A-class - towed my big trailer very well,
plenty of power from the 1.9 TD engine - but they're really built for
normal 'on-road' use..... and the suspension is 'lively' to say the
least....

Regards
Adrian
Suffolk UK