Alko hitch lock

Old November 3rd 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen.Dobson

Default Alko hitch lock

I purchased an Ace Jubilee Statesman in July 2003 from a well known dealer,
with an Al-ko 2004 stabiliser fitted as standard.

At the same time I purchased an Al-ko security device (hitch lock).

This Al-ko lock could left in place whilst travelling with car and caravan
hitched up as per the Al-ko instructions .

Well I now have a broken front a frame cover(cowling)due to the compression
of the towing bar causing the hichlock to impact on the cover of the a
frame.

I have just spoken to the dealer whom seems to want this dealt with though
insurance.

This I am not happy to do. This in my opinion is a design fault, and no
doubt Al-ko will say that this device should not be fitted to British
caravans with front A frame cowls.

I suspect that Ace / Swift will say that its Al-kos fault because its is
not designed to be fitted to their caravans even though they fit Al-kos
2004 stabiliser as standard to this model of caravan .

Both the manufactures and dealer are now aware of this problem have not yet
responded.

Can anybody give me any information and views on how I could get this
problem resolved without involving my insurance company and purchasing and
fitting a new A frame cowl at my own expense.

Who do you thinks is to blame (if anybody)? or do i accept its just one of
them things!

---

Old November 3rd 03, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Stephen.Dobson" wrote in message
[...]

Stephen

The new caravan I have on order will come with an Al-Ko hitch. I have heard
that the security lock can used whilst towing although I have always been a
bit puzzle why it should be left on whilst on the move.

The security lock as I understand is not part of the original equipment so
it would not be covered by the caravan warranty. First stop with problems
like this is where you purchased the lock, although it will depend if you
were offer/asked any advice. This could be the reason the dealer is
reluctant to get involved, although for a lot this would be their natural
stance! You may have to go to Al-Ko, after all they are a very established
company. Until you have their input on the subject it is difficult to quite
know where the fault/problem lies. I would appreciate that you keep the
newsgroup informed as an increasing number of vans are coming with that sort
of hitch.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old November 3rd 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

"Stephen.Dobson" wrote in message
I purchased an Ace Jubilee Statesman in July 2003 from a well known

dealer,
with an Al-ko 2004 stabiliser fitted as standard.

At the same time I purchased an Al-ko security device (hitch lock).

This Al-ko lock could left in place whilst travelling with car and caravan
hitched up as per the Al-ko instructions .

A hitch lock I purchased some12 years ago (not Al-ko) came with a warning
that although it was possible to lock whilst towing, it was inadvisable - as
in the event of an accident or fire it would be difficult to un-hitch in an
emergency.

Roy

Old November 4th 03, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"klyne" wrote in message

[...]

snip ...... maybe if you pull over for a break and leave the van/car in car
park it will still be insured (hitchlock fitted) without any further action
required.

Richard

---

Old November 5th 03, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

All Alko couplings are recommended to use a longer necked towball to avoid just
this happening. The extra inch or so is extremely helpful when manoeuvring in
tightish places and prevents premature contact of the hitch with any part of the
car or caravan.

Cheers, Peter.

snipped

Old November 5th 03, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gray

"Stephen.Dobson" wrote in message
I purchased an Ace Jubilee Statesman in July 2003 from a well known

dealer,
with an Al-ko 2004 stabiliser fitted as standard.

At the same time I purchased an Al-ko security device (hitch lock).

This Al-ko lock could left in place whilst travelling with car and caravan
hitched up as per the Al-ko instructions .

Snipped the rest

1/With the 2003 Alko hitch you should have a new towball with a longer neck

2/ IGNORE any instructions regarding leaving the lock ON whilst travelling
as
A/ if there is an accident the van will not unhitch just turn the car
over
B/ If there is a fire think where the gas box is and how near it is to
your petrol tank
C/ WHO is going to try to nick a Caravan travelling at 50 mph?? put it
on when parked OK it takes me 30 seconds to do just that

The Dealer will not want to do anything without getting paid and a rough
guess is the insurance won't want to pay out either BUT IF the dealer DID
NOT provide the new tow-ball ( which is actually in the kit of hitch +lock+
towball ) you've got him for trying to fiddle you (the towball costs 25
separately )

Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad
...... but it helps

---

Old November 5th 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
All Alko couplings are recommended to use a longer necked towball to avoid

just
this happening. The extra inch or so is extremely helpful when manoeuvring

in
tightish places and prevents premature contact of the hitch with any part

of the
car or caravan.

Cheers, Peter.

Yes I recall my standard Witter arrangement was altered for this reason,
longer neck towball and spacer fitted so that the Alko coupling 'worked'
properly.

Richard

---

Old November 5th 03, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"Stephen.Dobson" wrote in message
I purchased an Ace Jubilee Statesman in July 2003 from a well known

dealer,
with an Al-ko 2004 stabiliser fitted as standard.

At the same time I purchased an Al-ko security device (hitch lock).

This Al-ko lock could left in place whilst travelling with car and caravan
hitched up as per the Al-ko instructions .

Well I now have a broken front a frame cover(cowling)due to the

compression
of the towing bar causing the hichlock to impact on the cover of the a
frame.

I have a Winterhoff fitted to my Hobby as standard that has a cover and both
Hobbys I have had have broken the cover when reversing. On mine if the
rubber bellows bunch up on one side when reversing around a corner the
pressure is enough to do damage. The remedy for me is to take off the cover
and fibre glass inside and build up the strength of the plastic to something
like it should be. It doesn't happen again.

Paul

Old November 5th 03, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

1/With the 2003 Alko hitch you should have a new towball with a longer

neck

Nah, with the machined underside, length is immaterial.

2/ IGNORE any instructions regarding leaving the lock ON whilst travelling
as
A/ if there is an accident the van will not unhitch just turn the car
over

The lock stops the activation of the manual release and anti sway so won't
affect disconnection if the car goes over.

B/ If there is a fire think where the gas box is and how near it is to
your petrol tank.

Why should your van catch fire? Disconected gas cylinders etc.

C/ WHO is going to try to nick a Caravan travelling at 50 mph?? put

it
on when parked OK it takes me 30 seconds to do just that

No one, but it only takes once to walk away from your van without the lock
and bye bye van and Mr Insurance declares it unlocked.

Old November 5th 03, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:33:39 -0000, "Paul"
wrote:

No one, but it only takes once to walk away from your van without the lock
and bye bye van and Mr Insurance declares it unlocked.

Then get decent insurance, both the CC and the NFU accept that when
the caravan is hitched to the car then it is covered by the insurance.
CC's policy states that the van must have either a hitchlock or a
wheelclamp in place within 8hrs of the van being unhitched, NFU want a
hitchlock and a wheelclamp fitted whenever the van is unhitched but do
not require any precautions when the van is in transit, when I asked a
direct question about being stopped at a motorway service area they
said that no locks were required.

(remove the spam to reply)