MOT SCAM

Old December 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
hymer46

Default MOT SCAM

Dear motorcaravanners Beware of a SCAM CONCERNING THE MOT.IF the
veichle fails its Mot,then its best the garage that failed the
veichle,puts the fault right,if you take the veichle away from the
garage,even if they do the repair work,they can charge you for a retest
,in my case another 25 pounds ,charged by HP PRICE,RHIGOS ROAD.HIRWAUN
..S WALES.So how can they charge you for a RETEST,When they pass their
own work.well VOSA the government ageny reponsible for the Mots ,allow
these unscrupolous garages to do this,by stating in their regulations A
CHARGE FOR A RETEST MAY BE CHARGED,IF YOU REMOVE THE VEICHLE FROM THE
GARAGE,and have the work done elswhere.So Vosa have given these rogue
garages the green light to further ripp-off the motorist.Another point
did you know that in the rest of the EU .a Mot is only required every 2
years,but not in ripp -off uk.ROY WILMOT [HYMER46]

Old December 13th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"hymer46" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Then just go somewhere else next year and discuss the terms BEFORE you book
the vehicle in, not afterwards.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 13th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
banjo

"Andy R" wrote in message

"hymer46" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

the mot on my car 2 months ago cost me 50, but i trust the gararge that i
use.

Old December 13th 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
mrcheerful .

"hymer46" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

this has always been the case, just shop around before you book it in

the foreign two yearly mot is far stricter than ours, costs more and is done
by government stations.

Old December 13th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lou Bricant

hymer46 wrote:
[...]

The vehicle has to be logged onto the computerised system again to do
the test, up until October if the vehicle was taken away then a full
retest was required, costing up to 44, partial retests have only just
been re introduced again. Its not the garage that makes the rules its
VOSA. The garages have had to invest thousands and thousands bringing
their systems up to scratch. With the new system the police can check if
your MOT is valid, with the old paper system you had to produce your
documents, a system open to abuse. Its not a motor trade con, its the
law, get used to it. Annual tests were introduced in 1964 have you only
just noticed?

Lou Bricant
Old December 13th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:08:18 -0000, I read these words from "Andy R"
:

"hymer46" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Or read upon it over the next ten months ?
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_introduction.htm

-- jjj
Old December 14th 06, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
hymer46

IN REPLY Yes its VOSA is at fault ,by the wording on the MOT notices
displayed on MOT garage walls , A RETEST FEE,MAY BE CHARGED ,So this is
the green light to rake in more cash 75 for a hour and a half
work,nice work if you can get it,yes garages had to install equipent
costing thousands of pounds,but at this rate the cost will soon be
recovered.hymer 46.

Old December 14th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 13, 1:55 pm, "hymer46" wrote:
Dear motorcaravanners Beware of a SCAM CONCERNING THE MOT.IF the
veichle fails its Mot,then its best the garage that failed the
veichle,puts the fault right,if you take the veichle away from the
garage,even if they do the repair work,they can charge you for a retest

Why is this a scam? The charging structure for the MOT is freely
available to anyone.

Just because you got caught by something you were unaware of does not
make it a scam.

MBQ

Old December 23rd 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Brian G[_3_]

hymer46 wrote:
[...]

hymer,

I live not so far from you and the garage I USED to take my car to was
well... a true con merchant as I never paid less than 100 for every MOT -
they always 'found' something wrong and charged the full whack for the MOT
on top.

Over the last two years I have taken it to a garage in Cardiff (about 20
miles away AND a main dealer) and the car has passed albeit with some
'advises' AND the MOT done at a discount.

So really the moral is - just look around for a better deal. As a matter of
interest, if you have a local authority that does MOT tests near to you,
take it to them, as the test will always be 'fair' as they don't do vehicle
repairs so there is no incentive for them to fail the car on minor defects.

Brian G

Old December 28th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Brian G[_3_]

banjo wrote:

"Brian G" wrote in message
hymer46 wrote:
[...]

local authority can double the double the fee by failing the mot, thn
whenit is returned u pay again.
thus one mot, two fees.

Sorry for the delayed response.

In my personal experience, that has never been the case. When I have had a
car fail when using the Local Authority (rarely), I have taken it away,
repaired it and had the re-test done either with a reduce fee or (mostly)
free.

brian G