first trip - advice sought

Old December 27th 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Default first trip - advice sought

Hi Folks
I am the happy, first-time owner of a motorhome (Lunar Roadstar 570e)
and am planning my first trip to mainland Europe. Myself and 4 friends
will be heading to Slovenia in February. Our plan is to share the
driving and attempt to get there as quickly as possible.
I was hoping someone could give me a realistic estimate of the time it
will take us to get from Oban in Argyll to Dover so I know when to book
ferry tickets (thanks Andy R for the price recommendation).
Also, as this is my first long trip, any suitable advice will be
gratefully received.
thanks
Stephen
--
http://www.pigtownfling.co.uk
email will bounce - try 'mail' instead
Old December 27th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JayDee[_3_]

Using motorways (including the M6 Toll) at average speed and stopping
for 20 minutes every 3 hours my version of Autoroute reckons you should
make it in under 10 hours - unless you get held up on the M25 of course
(how unlikely is that :-(( - irony -). Why not check using TheAA Route
Finder or some such?

Have a good trip and enjoy your holiday.

JayDee

Old December 28th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:07:47 +0000, I read these words from Stephen
McNally :

Hi Folks
I am the happy, first-time owner of a motorhome (Lunar Roadstar 570e)
and am planning my first trip to mainland Europe. Myself and 4 friends
will be heading to Slovenia in February. Our plan is to share the
driving and attempt to get there as quickly as possible.
I was hoping someone could give me a realistic estimate of the time it
will take us to get from Oban in Argyll to Dover so I know when to book
ferry tickets

I've done Glasgow-Dover in 8.5 hours pulling a 7 metre
caravan . . . once !

With two, or more, drivers, allow 12 - 14 hours from Glasgow.
M74 - M6 - M5 - M42 - M40 - M25 - M20.
(I've never taken the Toll section of M6)

You can almost always get on an earlier ferry than the
one you have booked ! Especially at that time of year.

(thanks Andy R for the price recommendation).
Also, as this is my first long trip, any suitable advice will be
gratefully received.

If you've got any particular questions, e-mail me.
We were in Slovenia in June, some notes at :
http://www.ian-stewart.dsl.pipex.com/itinery.html

-- jjj
Old December 28th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Zozzer

"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:07:47 +0000, I read these words from Stephen

With two, or more, drivers, allow 12 - 14 hours from Glasgow.
M74 - M6 - M5 - M42 - M40 - M25 - M20.
(I've never taken the Toll section of M6)

If you've got any particular questions, e-mail me.
We were in Slovenia in June, some notes at :
http://www.ian-stewart.dsl.pipex.com/itinery.html

-- jjj

Whilst I agree in principle with this route, as I dont
like paying the extorsionate toll. I think a lot will
depend on the day of travel and the time of day
you'll be hitting the Birmingham area as the traffic
can be horrendous at peak periods especially
Friday afternoon.

My suggestion would be hit J12 on the M6 around
midnight, which should get you down the M40 and M25
before the daily traffic starts to build up.

--
Zozzer

Old December 28th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:54:39 GMT, I read these words from "Zozzer"
:

"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:07:47 +0000, I read these words from Stephen

With two, or more, drivers, allow 12 - 14 hours from Glasgow.
M74 - M6 - M5 - M42 - M40 - M25 - M20.
(I've never taken the Toll section of M6)

If you've got any particular questions, e-mail me.
We were in Slovenia in June, some notes at :
http://www.ian-stewart.dsl.pipex.com/itinery.html

Whilst I agree in principle with this route, as I dont
like paying the extortionate toll.

Me neither and I can't see any advantage unless you're
heading for the M1 (a less desirable route IMO)

BTW. I see there are new Toll rates as of January 2007.
http://www.m6toll.co.uk/default.asp?mainmenuid=1

I think a lot will depend on the day of travel and
the time of day you'll be hitting the Birmingham area

Very true and it's 'pot luck' in many instances.

The other bottlenecks are the stretch of M6 between
Preston and Leyland (Manchester traffic) and the
Manchester Airport / Liverpool section.

as the traffic can be horrendous at peak periods
especially Friday afternoon.

Anywhere really. Birmingham, Berlin or Basel.

My suggestion would be hit J12 on the M6 around
midnight, which should get you down the M40 and
M25 before the daily traffic starts to build up.

Or a few hours earlier. The year I did it in 8.5 hours,
I was at the Queen Elizabeth Bridge at midnight.

Personally, after 25 years of driving from Glasgow
down to the South-East (business and "pleasure" ?),
I loath the roads and traffic but it's the best route
when we have a dog with us (shortest crossing).

-- jjj
Old December 28th 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JayDee[_3_]

I do agree that there's no point in paying the toll unneccesarily, but
Stephen did say he wanted to get to his destination as quickly as
possible; I have never heard of hold-ups on the M6Toll (unless you
deem the toll itself to be a hold-up in the highway robbery sense :-),
which you may well do, of course). Driving at midnight is certainly a
good way to avoid most of the congestion; I never thought of it
(obviously not a night owl).

JayDee

Old December 29th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

Stephen McNally wrote:
I was hoping someone could give me a realistic estimate of the time it
will take us to get from Oban in Argyll to Dover so I know when to book
ferry tickets (thanks Andy R for the price recommendation).
Also, as this is my first long trip, any suitable advice will be
gratefully received.
thanks
Stephen

Stephen, ...much (all?) of the discussion thus far has been about
various options based upon the M6 to Birmingham and then either
M1/M40/M5.... there is another option and the one I used every week for
more than 2 years commuting between Motherwell and the SouthEast. It
avoids the rush, the crush, and the dickhead 'rep-brigade' drivers
which you otherwise can't avoid between Preston and Birmingham on the
M6.

I suggest you give serious consideration to the following -
A74 to Penrith, A66 to Scotch Corner, A1 South Huntingdon/Alconbury
(north-west of Cambridge), swing off onto the A14 for about 10 miles or
so until just outside of Cambridge (where the A14 actually continues
off the road you are on) you carry straight on and it changes to the
M11; Carry on to the M25 swing clockwise and cross the Thames at
Dartford then follow signs for Dover from there. You will find that
this is a far less tiring route than M/Way all the way. Yes you have a
few extra miles crossing the A66 to Scotch Corner, but the A66
compensates by being for the most part a pleasant road (much like the
run up to Fort William from Loch Lomond as far as scenery is
concerned). This route also makes the long haul down to the M25 much
more manageable as it becomes broken up into many 'half-hour, and hour,
stages' between the major roundabouts. This makes the journey much less
anxious, and interjects natural break points where you can slow down
and regroup the thoughts before the next leg.
There are plenty of eatery options on the A1 varying form the usual
culprits of Service areas to the American Burger Bar type
(unfortunately both of these are on the Northbound side .. but you can
get them on the trip home) . Joining the M25 at the M11 also has the
major advantage of avoiding going anywhere near Heathrow and the M4 M3
junctions which invariably get clogged. (If you take the alternative
route and aim to avoid the crowds at Birmingham on the M6, you then
run the much higher risk of hitting either the M3 or M4 crush at the
M25).
As I said at the beginning I did this run every week for more than 2
years and I tried ALL the combinations..... this is by far the less
traumatic and I would strongly suggest you consider this if you want to
remain even reasonably sane during the slog down through England.
Believe me you really do want to avoid the M6/M5/M1/M40/M4/M3 and the
western side of the M25 if at all possible.
My route does that.
You won't arrive much quicker or slower by any other route, because
somewhere you will hit snarl-ups, but this route at least avoids the
black-spots, and allows you to arrive much less freaked out than having
to contend with 200+ miles of M6/etc combinations.
Just watch your speed in Cambridgeshire (where the Local Authorities
hail originally from the planet Zork, are born with their head lodged
in their rectum, [a location which many never manage to extract it
from] and are therefore unable to observe the real planet earth they
now inhabit) ........ who me, anti Cambridgeshire-approach to traffic
management - where they block off all the small country lanes leading
towards Cambridge itself, thereby forcing all local traffic onto the
two arterial routes and then complain about the volume of traffic they
have to manage on such...?
Whatever gave you that idea?

;-)

Enjoy the journey.

Ian

Old December 29th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On 28 Dec 2006 15:35:00 -0800, I read these words from "JayDee"
:

I do agree that there's no point in paying the toll unneccesarily, but
Stephen did say he wanted to get to his destination as quickly as
possible;

As I said, unless you're intending heading for the M1, the M6 Toll
probably isn't of any great advantage. On the M25, the run from
the M40 to M26/M20 (Dover) is 59.1 miles whereas that from the
M1 is 58.0 miles (according to Map Source) so the difference in
mileage isn't worth consideration. It's down to volume of traffic
any way you look at it.

From personal experience (20 years of driving in and around
London, both on business and for 'leisure') . . .

Driving down the M1, the best route South is 'clockwise',
which means another toll, and potential bottleneck, at the
QE Bridge / Dartford Tunnel Thames crossing.

Joining the M25 from the M40, the best option is to drive
'anti-clockwise'. I've never had a *serious* hold-up when
going that way. Perhaps just pure luck, I sat on the M25
for 6.5 hours at Clacket Heath one time whilst heading for
Heathrow and a flight home to Glasgow (whilst on business)
and got stuck for 3 hours on the M26 one year we were
coming back from Dover, both times going 'clockwise'.

I have never heard of hold-ups on the M6Toll (unless you
deem the toll itself to be a hold-up in the highway robbery sense :-),

I wasn't really but, as you've mentioned it . . .
If they ever give that stretch a name, as they do with some of the
US Toll roads, may I nominate, 'The Richard Turpin Toll Road' ?

which you may well do, of course).

insert rant about RFL, Fuel Duty, state of the roads . . .

Driving at midnight is certainly
a good way to avoid most of the congestion; I never thought of it
(obviously not a night owl).

I've tried that one too, over the years.

As I say, only my opinion based on my experiences, YMMV !

-- jjj

JayDee

Old December 29th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

Errrr.... (additional to my previous long-winded reply)....

The driving time for my route allowing for only a couple of refuel and
p-point stops of 15 minutes.. should be about the 11 hour mark.
Ian

Old December 29th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

I suggest you give serious consideration to the following -
A74 to Penrith, A66 to Scotch Corner,

Jeez .. not my morning... think I'll go back to bed until tomorrow.
(Over familiarity has crept into my shorthand here)
Stephen, when I wrote "A74 to Penrith" ... I wasn't actually advocating
that you stick to the old-road .. I did actually mean the usual
combinations from Glasgow of A74/M74/M6. Although it is possible to
still 'do' the old A74 for much of the route south to the Border... I
wasn't really advocating such.

Ian