Bending and lifting

Old December 29th 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lunartic

Default Bending and lifting

Hello

We've been caravanners for many years and always loved the lifestyle.
Don't worry this isn't one of those pathetic 'my caravan's better than
your motorhome' or vica versa threads.

Big snag for me these days is that I've got a bad back! I know nothing
unusual about that but I'm finding that the lifting, bending etc.,
involved with caravans is starting to crease me. The last thing I want
to do is pack it all in and I'm wondering if a motorhome may be a little
easier on my creaking vertebrae.

Any thoughts much appreciated, especially from fellow bad backers.

Cheers

--
Alan
Old December 29th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lenny

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:45:23 +0000, Lunartic wrote:

Hello

We've been caravanners for many years and always loved the lifestyle.
Don't worry this isn't one of those pathetic 'my caravan's better than
your motorhome' or vica versa threads.

Big snag for me these days is that I've got a bad back! I know nothing
unusual about that but I'm finding that the lifting, bending etc.,
involved with caravans is starting to crease me. The last thing I want
to do is pack it all in and I'm wondering if a motorhome may be a little
easier on my creaking vertebrae.

Any thoughts much appreciated, especially from fellow bad backers.

Cheers

Hi Alan,

Like everyone else these days I suffer with the back.
I'm currently a caravaner & earlier this year we hired a Motorhome &
will do the same again next year, want to make sure we buy the right
one first time.

They are much easier on the back .
No waste container to lug about & empty, make sure you check how
accessible the waste tap is.
No water container just a hose pipe.
No corner steadies (apart from vans with long overhangs).
Most Motorhome have the swivel bowel toilet this has a smaller waste
tank easier to empty but not so good if you are wild camping, quite a
few owners carry a spare waste container.
Driving position is generally better for the back but watch the height
of the seats if fitted with swivel bases they can be a bit high.

Yep much easier on the old back I suggest you try hiring, if you do
it's much cheaper in Germany we did it through Hymer Rent & picked the
van up from a dealer in Koln (Cologne) will use the same dealer for
2007.

Lenny
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk

Old December 29th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:45:23 +0000, I read these words from Lunartic
:

Hello

We've been caravanners for many years and always loved the lifestyle.
Don't worry this isn't one of those pathetic 'my caravan's better than
your motorhome' or vica versa threads.

Big snag for me these days is that I've got a bad back! I know nothing
unusual about that but I'm finding that the lifting, bending etc.,
involved with caravans is starting to crease me. The last thing I want
to do is pack it all in and I'm wondering if a motorhome may be a little
easier on my creaking vertebrae.

Any thoughts much appreciated, especially from fellow bad backers.

Nineteen years with a caravan but eventually my back was giving me
similar problems, setting up, lugging water, dumping waste . . .

Bought an old motorhome two years ago and, having decided it
resolved 95% of the problems, splashed for a new one this year.

One thing to be aware of !!
If you have a big 'van, ours was 7 metres, you *will* have to get
used to less floor area (not necessarily storage space !).

HTH

-- jjj

Old December 29th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lunartic

In message , Lenny
writes

[...]

Hi Lenny

Thanks for the response, it was just what I wanted to read. Thanks too
for the rental tip and information. I can see lots of trips to dealers
this year trying decide which style of motorhome suits us.

Cheers
--
Alan
Old December 29th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lunartic

In message , Josiah Jenkins
writes
[...]

Hi

Thanks, nice to hear I'm not alone. As you say setting up, lugging water
and waste have become hard going.

We do have a big van T/A van and recognise we'll have to settle for less
floor space. Still if changing to a motorhome restores the pleasure
it's a price worth paying.

Cheers
--
Alan
Old December 30th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

We do have a big van T/A van and recognise we'll have to settle for less
floor space. Still if changing to a motorhome restores the pleasure
it's a price worth paying.

Alan, there are always alternatives and MH's are no different. Some of
them are bigger than any towing caravan, so it isn't necessarily that
you need to loose floor area.... but there will obviously be downsides
elsewhere within the trade-off equation.

When the kids were at home we had towing 'vans... the smallest one we
ever had was a Viceroy Ambassador at (IIRC) 16 and a bit feet.
Everything else was considerably bigger (SuperStorm etc). When we
switched to the Motorhome we found we couldn't live with the restricted
space in many of the Euroboxes (I'm what is generally known as a
'BigLad' at 6ft and far-too-many stones). We ended up buying an
American RV. Yes, there are 'downsides', but there are also many 'ups'
and for us the 'ups' far outweigh the 'downs'. We now have more space
than we could ever use, we have a van which is built like a fortress,
and everything is push-button activated.
Many folks rule them out on size grounds... but that is almost to miss
the point entirely, especially if you are considering touring Europe.
With my failing health we seriously considered downsizing last year...
we spent many weeks revisiting the european motorhomes on offer... and
we simply couldn't justify any of them, even when we considered that we
have now had our van for quite a few years and that she is 15 years
old.

OK, so I am as biased as the next owner.... but if you are ever near
Blackpool, and want to take a look at what the US-RV has to offer....
give me a 'shout'. You're more than welcome to come and take a look at
one that has been extensively used by it's owners (rather than a shiny
one on a forecourt somewhere), and to see why I think the size may not
be such a problem as others might at first think.
I am not trying to sell you on the idea... motorhomes are a deeply
personal thing (far more in my mind than a caravan). but I know I would
have appreciated the offer from someone when we first started
looking... so, as written.... the offer's on the table if you feel it
might assist.

Ian

Old December 31st 06, 01:43 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lunartic

In message . com,
ticktock writes

OK, so I am as biased as the next owner.... but if you are ever near
Blackpool, and want to take a look at what the US-RV has to offer....
give me a 'shout'. You're more than welcome to come and take a look at
one that has been extensively used by it's owners (rather than a shiny
one on a forecourt somewhere), and to see why I think the size may not
be such a problem as others might at first think.
I am not trying to sell you on the idea... motorhomes are a deeply
personal thing (far more in my mind than a caravan). but I know I would
have appreciated the offer from someone when we first started
looking... so, as written.... the offer's on the table if you feel it
might assist.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks so much for your very kind offer. As the proverbial crow flies,
I'm only 70 miles, or so, from Blackpool. Snag is it's 70 miles over
the sea, we're in the Isle of Man, so an afternoon drive is a tad
awkward.

The van, a TA Lunar Delta, is stored at Rainford - near St Helens, up to
the last year our trips on the ferry to Heysham, to collect the van,
were frequent. Unfortunately my back has been so bad over 2006 that
we've hardly used the van, 2006 has mainly been a year of flying, hotels
and cruising.

Flying, hotels and cruise ships are all very nice and luxurious (well
not flying) but somehow they aren't the same as heading off with a
caravan or a motorhome. We were quite adventurous, if that's the right
description for travelling all over Europe with a van. I've missed it a
great deal, which is why I'm thinking about a motorhome.

Just now I'm none too sure when I'll next be in England with a bit of
time to spare but it will certainly be in the early part of 2007 and I'd
very much like to take you up on your kind offer. Would it be ok if I
email you off the newsgroup to make arrangements?

Very best wishes for 2007 to all

--
Alan
Old December 31st 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

Would it be ok if I
email you off the newsgroup to make arrangements?

Yes, of course.

either:- ieb aht klokwurx and then the usual coe and yewkay
or alternatively:- google KlokWurX and any of the links on those pages
will reach me.

Ian