another question

Old January 7th 07, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Default another question

Hi folks

tell me to stop if I am asking too many questions...

In the van's user guide it says to turn off the van's main switch
(without saying where it is) before connecting to the mains. Now the
only thing in my van that could be the main switch is in a domestic
style fuse box positioned low under the floor of one of the cupboards.
Because it is a domestic fusebox, it is designed to be used above head
height, so the door is hinged at the top and opens upwards. Because the
box is situated low down and in quite a confined space you have to have
elastic arms to reach around the cover to use the switch.
Am I doing the right thing, and if so why is it so poorly designed. I am
planning to lend the van to my elderly in-laws and I don't think they
would be able to manage this.

thanks again

stephen
--
http://www.pigtownfling.co.uk
email will bounce - try 'mail' instead
Old January 7th 07, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
news

"Stephen McNally" wrote in message
[...]

IMHO this is another over-cautious instruction, to avoid potential arc
splashing if current flows when you connect the mains plug and socket. What
I do is simply ensure that there is nothing drawing significant current,
e.g. ensure mains space heater & water heater etc are switched off, before
connecting the mains lead. There is also a recommended connection order but
I can never remember whether it's bollard first or van first - guess van
first makes some sense in case you accidentally drop the other end in your
fire bucket before you connect it to the van . . .

By the way, I assume by a 'domestic fuse box' you mean a surge protection
box with resettable trip switch/es?

Old January 7th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

news wrote:
What I do is simply ensure that there is nothing drawing significant
current, e.g. ensure mains space heater & water heater etc are
switched off, before connecting the mains lead.

That's what I unknowingly did the night we got the van, before I had a
chance to read the manual. Nothing went boom.

By the way, I assume by a 'domestic fuse box' you mean a surge
protection box with resettable trip switch/es?

Aye, not sure what it's officially called but its the same sort of box
as is in my meter cupboard at home.

stephen

Old January 7th 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:22:15 -0000, I read these words from "news"
:

"Stephen McNally" wrote in message
Hi folks

tell me to stop if I am asking too many questions...

If you don't ask, you'll never find out !

(In any case, it allows us to impress newbies like yourself with
our extensive knowledge of all matters related to motorhomes)
insert a 'smilie' here if you took the above statement seriously

In the van's user guide it says to turn off the van's main switch (without
saying where it is) before connecting to the mains. Now the only thing in
my van that could be the main switch is in a domestic style fuse box
positioned low under the floor of one of the cupboards. Because it is a
domestic fusebox, it is designed to be used above head height, so the door
is hinged at the top and opens upwards. Because the box is situated low
down and in quite a confined space you have to have elastic arms to reach
around the cover to use the switch.
Am I doing the right thing, and if so why is it so poorly designed. I am
planning to lend the van to my elderly in-laws and I don't think they
would be able to manage this.

IMHO this is another over-cautious instruction, to avoid potential arc
splashing if current flows when you connect the mains plug and socket.

I'd agree with that theory.

Stephen, what make and model of van do you have ?
It might help when trying to answer your questions.

What I do is simply ensure that there is nothing drawing significant current,
e.g. ensure mains space heater & water heater etc are switched off, before
connecting the mains lead.

Definitely safer.

There is also a recommended connection order but
I can never remember whether it's bollard first or van first - guess van
first makes some sense in case you accidentally drop the other end in your
fire bucket before you connect it to the van . . .

Yup, van first then connect to the supply.
*Disconnect* from the supply first, of course.

-- jjj

Old January 7th 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
news

Whilst we're giving helpful newbie advice on electrics, Stephen, you may
already be aware of this, if so forgive me for teaching granny to suck eggs:

never keep any part of your mains connection lead neatly coiled up whilst in
use, otherwise it can potentially overheat when you're drawing a lot of
current. If your bollard is close by, leave the excess looking like a random
plate of spaghetti, or else you can S-loop it, bu not a coil . . .

cheers
Roger

Old January 8th 07, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Zozzer

"news" wrote in message

Whilst we're giving helpful newbie advice on electrics, Stephen, you may
already be aware of this, if so forgive me for teaching granny to suck

eggs:

never keep any part of your mains connection lead neatly coiled up whilst

in
use, otherwise it can potentially overheat when you're drawing a lot of
current. If your bollard is close by, leave the excess looking like a

random
plate of spaghetti, or else you can S-loop it, bu not a coil . . .

cheers
Roger

Listen to Roger, this advice applies everywhere you find electricity
and not just on sites.

When I was a lot younger and just got married I connected a washing
machine to the mains with the use of a fully enclosed extension reel. After
about 15mins we could smell burning and the plastic had begun to melt.
Luckily we were at home and pulled the plug out quickly.

Lesson learned, I've never used ANY extension reel without fully
winding out the full length. and leaving it like spagetti.

--
Zozzer

Old January 8th 07, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Zozzer wrote:

"news" wrote in message

never keep any part of your mains connection lead neatly coiled up
whilst in use

When I was a lot younger and just got married I connected a washing
machine to the mains with the use of a fully enclosed extension reel.
After about 15mins we could smell burning and the plastic had begun
to melt. Luckily we were at home and pulled the plug out quickly.

I was aware of this... through a very similar experience with a
convector heater and an extension reel.

stephen

Old January 8th 07, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Josiah Jenkins wrote:
Stephen, what make and model of van do you have ? It might help when
trying to answer your questions.

We have a 2001 Lunar Roadstar 570E

stephen

Old January 8th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:10:06 +0000, I read these words from Stephen
McNally :

Josiah Jenkins wrote:
Stephen, what make and model of van do you have ?
It might help when trying to answer your questions.

We have a 2001 Lunar Roadstar 570E

Have you had a snoop round any of the motorhome forums ?
Amazing what little tid-bits of information you pick up.

Warners (MMM magazine) is at :
http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/...egory-view.asp
Scroll down to 'Motorhome Matters'

Motorhome Facts is at :
http://motorhomefacts.com/index.php

Practical Motorhome is at :
http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/chatforum/index.asp

-- jjj

Old January 8th 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Josiah Jenkins wrote:

Have you had a snoop round any of the motorhome forums ? Amazing what
little tid-bits of information you pick up.

I haven't. Thanks for the links, I'll have a look.

stephen