campervan valeting

Old January 12th 07, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Sue[_3_]

Default campervan valeting

Where do members go to get their campervans washed?We still have a hose ban
(UK Berkshire) and our local car washer people can't clean the roof. We have
an autohome camelot that we hope to sell and the roof slopes so the dirt
shows.
Thanks in advance of help
--
Sue

Old January 12th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
johnh

"Sue" wrote in message
Where do members go to get their campervans washed?We still have a hose

ban
(UK Berkshire) and our local car washer people can't clean the roof. We

have
an autohome camelot that we hope to sell and the roof slopes so the dirt
shows.
Thanks in advance of help
--
Sue

bucket, water, soft broom and step ladder works for me

Old January 12th 07, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Sue[_3_]

"johnh" wrote in message

"Sue" wrote in message
Where do members go to get their campervans washed?We still have a hose

ban
(UK Berkshire) and our local car washer people can't clean the roof. We

have
an autohome camelot that we hope to sell and the roof slopes so the dirt
shows.
Thanks in advance of help
--
Sue

bucket, water, soft broom and step ladder works for me

But not for a female OAP when there is a camber on the road. Been there,
done that and would rather not, but thanks anyway
Sue

Old January 13th 07, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Sue" wrote in message

But not for a female OAP when there is a camber on the road. Been there,
done that and would rather not, but thanks anyway
Sue

I dont think it will put anyone off the sale as you can obviously explain
why you couldn't climb up there. Its certainly not worth risking a fall.

Try going into the local bus/coach station and collar a likely looking
person. They have to have their own facilities - someone might do it for you
for a "drink"?

A local window cleaner might even do it.

The only downside of having someone else do it is they are generally not as
careful as the owner is.

Or hubby suggests try B&Q or local DIY store who in our area sell long
extendable paint roller handle then you can fix a soft broom head to the
end. He suggests you either pre wet it and leave to soak or wash it in the
rain like he does (no rinsing!!).

)

Old January 13th 07, 01:40 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Hilary" wrote in message

The only downside of having someone else do it is they are generally not
as careful as the owner is.

I've started repeating myself now. They say thats one of the first
signs!!!! lol!

)

Old January 13th 07, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
GoNads

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:16:33 GMT, "Sue"
wrote:

Where do members go to get their campervans washed?We still have a hose ban
(UK Berkshire) and our local car washer people can't clean the roof. We have
an autohome camelot that we hope to sell and the roof slopes so the dirt
shows.
Thanks in advance of help

Its called a bucket of water FFS

--
Email:go-nadsAThotmailDOTcoDOTuk

Old January 13th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Guest

Sue wrote:
Where do members go to get their campervans washed?We still have a hose ban
(UK Berkshire) and our local car washer people can't clean the roof. We have
an autohome camelot that we hope to sell and the roof slopes so the dirt
shows.

Try a few different car washes. Some will do it some wont.
Old January 14th 07, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
news

"ticktock" wrote in message
ps.com...
GoNads wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:16:33 GMT, "Sue"

Thanks in advance of help

Its called a bucket of water FFS
--

Oh dear, .... I really shouldn't respond to this .. but your totally
UNhelpful response 'no-go-nads' makes it almost an imperative.

To use your own expletive shorthand - FFS, if you have nothing
constructive to contribute then why don't you simply keep quiet.
Have you never heard that it's often better to remain silent and allow
others to only think you are a fool, rather than commenting and proving
them all correct?

This questioner had already stated that they were looking to have
someone else do the roof for them due to their age, the local ground
conditions, and their lack of confidence in using ladders.

Try keeping up! Please. (And keep your somewhat aggressive expletives
- even in shorthand form - to yourself, this is meant to be a friendly
group, there really was no call for your style of response).

Ian

I agree with your comments, Ian! I was going to reply in a like vein but
desisted as I wasn't sure if I was feeding a troll. However the offender
has posted other rather less unhelpful contributions to the group, hopefully
this was a temporary abberation.

I sympathise with the original poster, as I also live in Berks and have a
similar problem. Anyone who has tried to remove the green buildup on the
roof of motorhomes and caravans at this time of year especially will know
that it takes a good deal more than a bucket of water to remove it.
Normally, I use a large circular spray attachment with my power sprayer -
not the feeble little one they sell for washing cars as that won't shift it,
I use the one designed for cleaning patios! However, since the hose pipe
ban I have had to clamber around on the roof on my hands and knees with a
bucket and scrubbing brush - not to be recommended for older, wiser and less
able persons, believe me.

cheers
Roger

Old January 14th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"news" wrote in
:

Anyone who has tried to remove the green buildup on the
roof of motorhomes and caravans at this time of year especially will
know that it takes a good deal more than a bucket of water to remove
it. Normally, I use a large circular spray attachment with my power
sprayer - not the feeble little one they sell for washing cars as that
won't shift it, I use the one designed for cleaning patios! However,
since the hose pipe ban I have had to clamber around on the roof on my
hands and knees with a bucket and scrubbing brush - not to be
recommended for older, wiser and less able persons, believe me.

FWIW, I store my caravan where there is no hosepipe and have to carry
washing water a couple of hundred yards. However, I've found a way of
cleaning my 'van that doesn't need a hosepipe or a "power washer".

I use a large garden pump-up sprayer, such as the 5-litre Hozelock
Killaspray (http://tinyurl.com/yf4qw6) to spray a slightly over-strength
solution of Fenwicks cleaner onto the 'van. Leave this for ten or so
minutes to soften the algae etc. then wet with more Fenwicks solution
while using a sponge, long-handled soft brush, and/or squegee to persuade
the gunge to lose its hold. It is sometimes necessary to repeat the wash
a few times to get all the crud. Next, use the sprayer to rinse the van
with fresh water (I do two rinses). Optionally, give the 'van a once-over
with Bobby Dazzler applied with the sprayer.

Now this isn't a quick process - it takes me an afternoon to thoroughly
clean the outside of my 5 metre 'van - but it does a good enough job
while probably using less water than I would with a bucket and sponge.

Of course, this doesn't remove the requirement for a ladder - which is
why I didn't suggest this method in response to the original post.

HTH,

--
Geoff