Simple security measures

Old January 14th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Zinc Potterman

Default Simple security measures

We do a lot of walking ,using the van as a base.
Obviously this entails leaving the van unattended for the day in fairly out
of the way places (although we try to avoid if possible.

Is it worth taking the very simple measure of removing the blade fuses, or
at least some of them?
Waste of time?
I'm pretty certain hot wiring doesn't need the fuses in place, but I guess
it would be pretty conspicuous driving along without certain vital
electrics. Does your average thief just carry around a pocket full of blade
fuses?
Any thoughts
Zinc

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk
To reply to address don't click.
Cut and paste, change at to @ symbol
then delete spaces.
------------------------------------

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk
To reply to address don't click.
Cut and paste, change at to @ symbol
then delete spaces.
------------------------------------

1. Big steering lock (disclok)
2. Deadlocks on doors.
3. Immobiliser.
4. Nothing stealable easily visible.
5. Alarm with pager.
6. Tracker.
7. Mobile phone type tracker hidden away.
8. Huge dog.
9. Manky old camper.

Mrcheerful

Old January 15th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ciaran

To: AlexS
Is it worth taking the very simple measure of removing the blade fuses, or
at least some of them?
Waste of time?

Even if the thief has the nouse to guess what you have done he is not going
to spend too long hanging about to search for the wires. Also a good
strong mechanical steering wheel/gear lever lock. That will cost you more
but not as much as a sophisticated but less effective electronic device
that sounds an alarm that you wont hear several miles away up a mountain.

I don't know if they have them in Europe (don't see any reason why they
wouldn't), but we have pedal locks (they lock one of the pedals in place).
The steering wheel locks take about thirty seconds to bypass. Any security
device is only as strong as its weakest element. For a steering wheel lock,
that's the mostly plastic steering wheel. For the pedal lock, it's braced
between structural elements, so the weak point is the floorboard.

Ciaran
--- Synchronet 3.14b-FreeBSD NewsLink 1.85
* CarSo BBs - Beverley, United Kingdom - telnet://carso.synchro.net
Old January 15th 07, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
mrcheerful .

"Ciaran" -86c-this wrote in message
To: AlexS
[...]

I would have no difficulty in driving a vehicle without using the clutch or
the footbrake, it would need care, but is easy to do, once you are away from
the area you can take your time to remove the pedal lock.

Mrcheerful

Old January 15th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DavidM

mrcheerful . wrote, On 15/01/2007 11:26:
I would have no difficulty in driving a vehicle without using the clutch or
the footbrake, it would need care, but is easy to do, once you are away from
the area you can take your time to remove the pedal lock.

Removing fuses only helps if you assume that the ruffians have already
smashed the window/busted the locks, cracked open the ignition system
and are sitting in your nice van trying to start it. Probably best to
try and halt them before all the smashing and breaking.

Would opportune thieves try to steal a motorcaravan? It would be too big
and obvious to deal with. They would be much more interested in the
valuables inside. More smashing and breaking.
I suppose people stealing specific vehicle types might prowl tourist
areas looking for nice vans. You would have to expect that thieves
stealing to order would be very wise to the usual tricks and able to
disable basic wheel/peddle locks very quickly.

The best bet would be to deter thieves with good quality alarms and
immobilisers, then decorate the van with flashing LEDs and warning
stickers. The risk of being caught is greatest while trying to get a
vehicle started. Hopefully the deterrent would make them think twice
about your van and move onto the next easier job.

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Old January 15th 07, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

If you don't mind carrying it around then try a removable steering wheel
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...code=MTN144444

Trouble is, they'll still break in the van and hunt everywhere for the
steering wheel, but if they're not prepared to do that it's a pretty
effective deterrent.

Rgds

Andy R