Coachbuilt motorhomes / standing awnings

Old January 16th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Guest

Default Coachbuilt motorhomes / standing awnings

Can anyone please shed some light on how freestanding awnings are attached
to the sides of coachbuilt motorhomes?

I have used awnings with VW style vans in the past and they just sit / clip
into the gutter but the door on my compass is nearly 8'6" off the ground and
I reckon to be able to easily open the door the tunnel needs to be 9'6".

The sales literature for the Khyam Excelsior shows it attached to the top
rail but our Compass has a closed rail and you'd have to pull it the length
of the van and then some to get it into position, hardly convenient.

Have spoken to a couple of shops but they don't seem to know either.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help,

T.

Old January 16th 07, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
The Caretaker

xxxxx wrote:
Can anyone please shed some light on how freestanding awnings are attached
to the sides of coachbuilt motorhomes?

I have used awnings with VW style vans in the past and they just sit / clip
into the gutter but the door on my compass is nearly 8'6" off the ground and
I reckon to be able to easily open the door the tunnel needs to be 9'6".

The sales literature for the Khyam Excelsior shows it attached to the top
rail but our Compass has a closed rail and you'd have to pull it the length
of the van and then some to get it into position, hardly convenient.

Have spoken to a couple of shops but they don't seem to know either.

Am I missing something?

Your motorhome's too big?

Seriously, you probably need a bespoke awning to work properly with that
sort of door height, or those fold-away jobs that are bolted on above
the door with zip on sides etc.

--
The Caretaker ........
Old January 17th 07, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

xxxxx wrote in message ...
Can anyone please shed some light on how freestanding awnings are attached
to the sides of coachbuilt motorhomes?

I have used awnings with VW style vans in the past and they just sit /
clip into the gutter but the door on my compass is nearly 8'6" off the
ground and I reckon to be able to easily open the door the tunnel needs to
be 9'6".

The sales literature for the Khyam Excelsior shows it attached to the top
rail but our Compass has a closed rail and you'd have to pull it the
length of the van and then some to get it into position, hardly
convenient.

Have spoken to a couple of shops but they don't seem to know either.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help,

T.

Can't comment on the height issue, but if your van has an awning rail, then
figure eight clips are the quick way, they thread onto your awnings cord,
then clip onto the vans rail.