Austrian Go-box

Old February 1st 07, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Pete[_3_]

Default Austrian Go-box

Can anybody tell me if the 3.5t limit for fitting the go-box on Austrian
toll roads is Gross Vehicle Weight or Unladen Weight

Pete

Old February 1st 07, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

--

GVW :-(

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old February 2nd 07, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi Pete,

Pete schrieb:

Can anybody tell me if the 3.5t limit for fitting the go-box on
Austrian toll roads is Gross Vehicle Weight or Unladen Weight

it's the GVW. Caravans (or any trailers) don't count.

Further questions are welcome, since my motor caravan's windshield
decorates a Go-Box, too...

Roland
(Graz, Austria)

Old February 3rd 07, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

On 2 Feb, 09:36, "Roland Messerschmidt"
wrote:
Hi Pete,

Pete schrieb:

Can anybody tell me if the 3.5t limit for fitting the go-box on
Austrian toll roads is Gross Vehicle Weight or Unladen Weight

it's the GVW. Caravans (or any trailers) don't count.

Further questions are welcome, since my motor caravan's windshield
decorates a Go-Box, too...

Roland
(Graz, Austria)

I responded to the earlier questions about the austrian 'go-box' by
referring to the fact that you can (as far as I thought I knew) still
buy carnets at the service areas etc.
Was I wrong?
Are folks saying that you 'must' have a go-box on any rigid vehicle
over a certain weight?

I know there has been the 'option' (as I understood it) to have a go-
box fitted (since 2004) but that you can still buy Carnets if you
prefer.

As it is, we tend to stay off the Austrian motorways and stick to the
smaller tourist routes, but we haven't seen anything on our tours of
Austria (and we visit every year .. including last) that says that
this 'go-box' MUST be fitted.

It raises the question for me that 'if' such is true (it must be
fitted) then just what validity did the Carnet we bought in 2005
have... given that we bought one to use the autoroutes/motorways from
Innsbruck to Vienna and had no problems what-so-ever. This fact leads
me to suspect that a go-box is not mandated as appears to being said/
written here, and is primarily meant for regular users/residents in
order to speed up the toll-gates by allowing 'box' holders to drive
through without stopping (exactly the same as here for our toll
bridges and roads). If such is true (it is not mandated/necessary)
then I think such needs to be clarified for the readers who might
perceive that it is a 'must have' and therefore decide not to visit
what is a very beautiful country.

Comments please from any knowledgable source. (I would appreciate a
pointer to the source files where it is stated please... as I have
trawled around, found various references .. but still have yet to read
where it says it is mandatory and that Carnets have been withdrawn).

BTW ... yes our vehicle is way-above any GVW limit likely to be
imposed (it's GTW/GVW is 22 tonnes). In the past we have bought the
coach carnet, as appears to be used by visiting tour buses (because we
are off a similar size) and, as written, have had no problems
whatsoever (but also to repeat... it was 2005 when we bought our
last).

Ian

Old February 3rd 07, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi,

first of all, please excuse my English, it's not my mother tounge, so
spelling mistakes are highly possible and I hope, I'll find the right
terms!

ticktock schrieb:

referring to the fact that you can (as far as I thought I knew)
still buy carnets at the service areas etc.
Was I wrong?
Are folks saying that you 'must' have a go-box on any rigid vehicle
over a certain weight?

Ok, let's start at the beginning.

Vehicles up to 3,5 tons GVWR have to buy a toll sticker ('vignette')
to use the motorways and expressways. Trailers don't need an extra
sticker (like Switzerland).

Vehicles over 3,5 tons GVWR *must* be fitted with the Go-Box to use
the motorways/expressways! No exception.
Usually the toll rate is related to the number of axles of the
(towing) vehicle and trailer, but here there is a exception: axles of
trailers are not counted when towed by a motorhome or coach.

And finally there are some (older) private operated motorways like the
Brenner motorway. For this routes you have to pay their fees and you
need no toll sticker for vehicles up to 3,5 tons, but you still need
the Go-Box for heavier vehicles, since the fee is collected over the
Go-Box system.

So that's the general overview.

I know there has been the 'option' (as I understood it) to have a
go- box fitted (since 2004) but that you can still buy Carnets if
you prefer.

No, there is no option, the GVWR is deciding which way you have to
go - sticker or Go-Box.

but we haven't seen anything on our
tours of Austria (and we visit every year .. including last) that
says that this 'go-box' MUST be fitted.

Oh, sure!
On every entrance to the motorway there are signs, but yes, it's maybe
not too easy to read them.

It raises the question for me that 'if' such is true (it must be
fitted)

It *is* true... ;-)

then just what validity did the Carnet we bought in 2005
have... given that we bought one to use the autoroutes/motorways
from Innsbruck to Vienna

Innsbruck or Italian border?
If Italian border you paid the toll for the private operated Brenner
motorway, mentioned above, or did you buy a sticker?

and had no problems what-so-ever.

You had plain luck!
There a so called 'toll sheriffs' out there, penalty would have been
minimum EUR 110... :-(

primarily meant for regular
users/residents in order to speed up the toll-gates by allowing
'box' holders to drive through without stopping

It's only a neat side effect...

therefore decide not to visit what is a very beautiful country.

That's a sad thing...
Everyone (especially one nation (but not the British! ;-) )) claims to
be ripped by the Austrians, but after leaving Austria they pay on
Italian motorways (or nearly everywhere in Europe) without hesitation.
Once I drove with my car from Trieste to the Austrian border. I payed
EUR 7,60 (one way!), exactly the same amount our toll sticker costs
for 10 days...

Comments please from any knowledgable source. (I would appreciate a
pointer to the source files where it is stated please...

No problem, the toll regulations you can read here in English:

http://www.asfinag.at/docs/Mautordnu...Englisch .pdf

I hope, I could clarify your questions!

Roland

Old February 3rd 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Roland Messerschmidt schrieb:

first of all, please excuse my English, it's not my mother tounge,

Oh dear! First sentence...

s/tounge/tongue/

;-)

Roland

Old February 3rd 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
PJ[_2_]

Roland Messerschmidt wrote:

Roland Messerschmidt schrieb:

first of all, please excuse my English, it's not my mother tounge,

Oh dear! First sentence...

s/tounge/tongue/

;-)
Roland

Hallo Roland,
Ihr Englisch ist ausgezeichnet und viel lieber als mein Deutsch.

Ihre Information ist sehr nützlich.

PJ
Old February 4th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

No problem, the toll regulations you can read here in English:

http://www.asfinag.at/docs/Mautordnu...20Version%2015...

I hope, I could clarify your questions!

Roland

Roland, ..... thank you very much for this.

I have read the documentation... and all is now clear ... except I
still have one question.

When was the go-box introduced? I know there was 'talk' about it in
2004 (and that's when I formed my [mistaken] opinion that it was an
'optional' method of toll collection), but I am still puzzled by the
fact that I bought (what I thought was) a 10-day Coach Vignette in
2005 (cost me, if I recall correctly, about 40 euros).
If the GoBox was mandatory then (in 2005) ... I am left wondering just
what the heck it was that I bought; (.. and yes.... it looks as if I
have been 'lucky' to have got away with it).

As it is of course, ..... for anyone contemplating visiting/touring
Austria, then you get to see more of the real country by staying off
the motorways and expressways in any event.
So the question of the GoBox shouldn't really need to arise with a bit
of forward planning of the routes. If you are dashing through on your
way to somewhere else, then it's a different matter.
Shame about the Brenner though if you can't just pay a cash toll for
that one road... I used to enjoy the run from Italy into
Innsbruck .....especially in the early evening, as it was just getting
dark, and you had all the twinkling lights of the ribbons of villages
on the other side of the valley (always reminded me of fairy villages
and the model-villages we used to visit as a kid ) ... Looks like I'll
need to just use the Rheschen pass if we 'do' the Italian Lakes again
this year as planned.

Ian

Old February 4th 07, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi Ian,

ticktock schrieb:

When was the go-box introduced?

Definitly on January 1st, 2004...

If the GoBox was mandatory then (in 2005) ... I am left wondering
just what the heck it was that I bought;

Big question, of course... ;-)

Do you have pictures of your car, which could help to identify the
sticker?

Austria, then you get to see more of the real country by staying off
the motorways and expressways in any event.

That's a completly different approach and of course, everyone may
decide to use or not to use the toll roads, but in these mentioned
discussions there were statements like 'traps set out', 'intentional
wrong traffic signs', 'overdraw penalties' and other stupid arguments
(we have to pay e.g. the same penalties...). But let us stop this
topic here... ;-)

... Looks like I'll need to just use the Rheschen pass if we 'do'
the Italian Lakes again this year as planned.

Oh, it's a very nice region, too!

No problems to drive even with a large motor caravan (like ours, 8 m
length).

Roland

Old February 5th 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Pete[_3_]

Roland
Thank you very much for a very useful reply. Booked our ferry today for June
so will be staying somewhere in the Tyrol, looking forward to it. complete
with Go-box!
regards
Pete

"Roland Messerschmidt" wrote in message