Windows

Old February 17th 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Scott

Default Windows

Some brainless person has broken my back Perspex window. My insurance,
Saga, tell me that because its not glass it is not covered by the £50 access
system but will have to pay for it myself. Any thoughts on this as all
Motorhomes have double glazed Perspex windows
Thanks John

Old February 17th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Whilst perusing Usenet on Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:02:57 GMT, I read these
words from "John Scott" [email protected] spam.com :

Some brainless person has broken my back Perspex window. My insurance,
Saga, tell me that because its not glass it is not covered by the £50 access
system but will have to pay for it myself. Any thoughts on this as all
Motorhomes have double glazed Perspex windows

Several years ago, the side of my caravan was damaged, including
the double-glazed 'perspex' window. My insurers at the time paid
for the replacement without any argument !

Is it a specific "Motorhome Insurance Policy" ?
If so, I'd be arguing with them.

-- jjj

Thanks John

Old February 18th 07, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
johnh

"John Scott" [email protected] spam.com wrote in message
Some brainless person has broken my back Perspex window. My insurance,
Saga, tell me that because its not glass it is not covered by the £50

access
system but will have to pay for it myself. Any thoughts on this as all
Motorhomes have double glazed Perspex windows
Thanks John

Perhaps a call to CAB to see what they say. Perhaps if you lean on them a
little harder and tell them to stop messing about, you may get somewhere
(getting past the reception, to the engine driver may be more fruitful).

Ask them to point out in your policy where it says no 'plastic' windows are
covered!

I had an insurance broker mess me about several years a go, where six months
after the policy had started, they asked for an extra premium as they had
made a 'mistake'. All I did was send a stern letter saying not to mess me
about. Following on by saying that I noted on their paperwork they were
members of various 'institution's', and I assumed to be members they had to
maintain certain customer care and standards, but felt their treatment to be
un-fair and un-just, so probably didn't meet those institutions standards. I
left it at that. I didn't even mention about reporting them! They turned
over and apologised!!! Perhaps they weren't even a member of some of them!

Getting back to your situation. An alternative, if you have a fully comp
policy, that may be a route to follow. However before getting in too deep,
you may find it cheaper to replace the whole window yourself. Just had a
quick look for windows and found a variety listed here
http://marcleleisure.co.uk/store/windows-c-66.html most seem to be less than
£150, which could be the excess on using your comprehensive policy, rather
than the 'glass/plastic' cover.

I hope you have more success )

Old February 18th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustY©

"John Scott" [email protected] spam.com wrote in message
Some brainless person has broken my back Perspex window. My insurance,
Saga, tell me that because its not glass it is not covered by the £50

access
system but will have to pay for it myself. Any thoughts on this as all
Motorhomes have double glazed Perspex windows
Thanks John

That is of course wrong, if your van is comprehensively insured then they
will pay. They may however charge you the van excess which may be £100 or
more. Some folks opt for a voluntary excess on top of £500 or even greater
so lets hope you are not one of those. You can't get a double glazed window
from a normal windscreen fitter so they are correct in saying that this is
not vehicle glazing but part of the conversion, so the windscreen excess
does not apply. What you need now is to get it fitted with a bill for a
couple of hundred pounds more than it costs and............

Old February 18th 07, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lou Bricant

"John Scott" [email protected] spam.com wrote in message
Some brainless person has broken my back Perspex window. My insurance,
Saga, tell me that because its not glass it is not covered by the £50

access
system but will have to pay for it myself. Any thoughts on this as all
Motorhomes have double glazed Perspex windows
Thanks John

SAGA seem to me the most appalling people..... They are a marketing umbrella
for a large number of products aimed at a low risk group, older people, but
they dont seem to keep their side of the bargain. They have the touch and
feel of a charity, but they are just after your money. One of my customers
had a lengthy disagreement with SAGA over a simple motor claim, which
escalated into Solicitors letters and Balliffs, just because SAGA never
answered any letters from the other guys insurance, so in desperation they
tried to sue the policy holder . She had to pay another solicitor to act
against her own insurance company. Eventually resolved at great expense and
stress.
Lou bricant

Old February 19th 07, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"johnh" wrote in message

snip

Ask them to point out in your policy where it says no 'plastic'
windows are
covered!

Were it says that *vehicle glass* is covered by a replacement
agreement! The OP was talking about the normal 'windscreen' type cover
(I've never come across anyone who has just 50 quid voluntary
excess!), of course any (accidental or third party) damage is covered
by FC insurance, and can be claimed for.