Gas on the continent

Old February 26th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
jon

Default Gas on the continent

Hi we are going to Scandinavia for 6 weeks soon and we are unsure how we can
get more gas if we run out?
Do we have to buy a new bottle for the country we are in?
Or will they exchange the UK ones?
Or are we better getting the refillable bottles I have seen advertised and
get them filled when we can?

Thanks
In advance
Jon

Old February 26th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lenny

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:59:20 -0000, "jon"
wrote:

Hi we are going to Scandinavia for 6 weeks soon and we are unsure how we can
get more gas if we run out?
Do we have to buy a new bottle for the country we are in?
Or will they exchange the UK ones?
Or are we better getting the refillable bottles I have seen advertised and
get them filled when we can?

The only Gas generally available in other countries is Camping Gaz
available in Sweden I don't know about other Scandinavian countries.
Apart from that every country has it's own gas bottles each with a
different fitting, if you have one of the new bulkhead fitted
regulators you can get different tails to suit the various gas
bottles, otherwise if you buy a new gas bottle in each country you
will also need a new regulator. You also need to check the pressure
your appliances run at, for example Hymers pre 2001 in Germany run
propane at 50 mb new ones are the same as the rest of Europe 30mb
(propane or butane).
If you are going for more than a few weeks a Gaslow refillable
cylinder is probably your best option.

Lenny

Dark evenings - want better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk

Old February 27th 07, 03:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Whilst perusing Usenet on Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:22:35 +0000, I read
these words from Lenny :

wrote:

[...]

Or buy a re-fillable bottle (and a UK adaptor) over there !

I think you'll find they're cheaper . . . mine was !

-- jjj
Old February 27th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
divoch

wrote:

[...]

Where did you buy it and where did you then get a UK adaptor for it?
divoch

Old February 27th 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Whilst perusing Usenet on Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:49:06 GMT, I read these
words from "divoch" :
"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message
.. .
Whilst perusing Usenet on Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:22:35 +0000, I read
these words from Lenny :

snip

If you are going for more than a few weeks a Gaslow refillable
cylinder is probably your best option.

Or buy a re-fillable bottle (and a UK adaptor) over there !

I think you'll find they're cheaper . . . mine was !

Where did you buy it and where did you then get a UK adaptor for it?

I bought it at the Dusseldorf Show last year from these people
http://www.gug-ahaus.de/ and I bought the UK adaptor at the
same time. There were at least two other companies exhibiting.

From the link above, Gastanks Tankflasche Grössen-Tabelle hier

The blurb basically says, 'The protective collar is removable and
that the gas level is easily read by the fitted gauge. It can be
re-filled at any time and appropriate adapters are available for
other countries'. The filler connector is available either
Oben (top, pointing up) or Seite (side, pointing out)

The only problems that might arise could be the height
(standard German dimensions which means it's taller than
a UK Calor bottle) and trying to match hose couplings.

Mine's a German van, Weinsberg, so the gas locker is big enough
to take the 23 litre re-fillable + Calor bottle and as it has a Truma
Secu-motion fitted, the different European hoses are available.

Depending on the van, a Gaslow bottle may be the only option
but, if you have the choice, it's certainly worth looking at.

A fill (23 litre bottle) costs around €10 in Germany and £10 here.

-- jjj
Old March 2nd 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campervanman[_2_]

Default Gas on the continent - Gaslow is the answer.

The only sensible solution if you are going to Europe for any time longer
than a couple of weeks, or for repeated trips is a Gaslow refillable
cylinder.

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/home.htm

Costs about 200 Pounds professionally fitted.

Benefit is you will never need to use overpriced Calor gas again in your
van, even back in the UK. You just fill up with autogas at any LPG servo.