Alarm

« - | - »

Old March 20th 07, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Smith

Default Alarm

Hi
As a newbie to the motorhome fraternity (or at least I will be in a week
or so's time when I collect it!) I wish to have an alarm/immobiliser fitted.

Before I approach a company I wish to be forearmed so need to know what
basic systems most people have fitted. A system with a PIR detector
inside will not be much good as I want to set it when we are asleep
inside. Does this mean I will need 2 separate systems - one to protect
the cab and side doors for when the van is occupied and one to cover all
the van (including break in via the windows) when it is left empty.

Has anybody purchased a good quality alarm kit and fitted it themselves
and if so what make was it please?

Also (finally!) do you know if it is easy to retrofit an immobiliser to
a 10 year old motorhome please?

many thanks

Dave
Old March 21st 07, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
MajorTom

My pitbull makes a good motion detector if i am in or out. it also
doubles as a good immobilizer too once he has got his teeth into the
burglars plums :-)

Tom.

Old March 21st 07, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Hi
As a newbie to the motorhome fraternity (or at least I will be in a week
or so's time when I collect it!) I wish to have an alarm/immobiliser
fitted.

Before I approach a company I wish to be forearmed so need to know what
basic systems most people have fitted. A system with a PIR detector
inside will not be much good as I want to set it when we are asleep
inside. Does this mean I will need 2 separate systems - one to protect
the cab and side doors for when the van is occupied and one to cover all
the van (including break in via the windows) when it is left empty.

Has anybody purchased a good quality alarm kit and fitted it themselves
and if so what make was it please?

Also (finally!) do you know if it is easy to retrofit an immobiliser to a
10 year old motorhome please?

IMHO an alarm is really only effective when the vehicle is parked outside
your house with you in earshot. On a campsite false alarms will drive
others mad and in a car park or street it will simply be ignored. I've just
got a decent immobiliser on mine.

Rgds

Andy R

Old March 22nd 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

Alex Shaw wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:29:43 -0000, "Andy R" wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

The simplest and cheapest immobiliser is a switch, hidden somewhere in the
cab,
that will interrupt the ignition circuit(you can do the same sort of thing
with
a diesel) It will cost you about a pound and an hour to fit and I doubt
that
many car thieves have the mechanical aptitude to find it.

Also, forget all the clever electronic devices. A good quality steering
lock
that is clearly visible will cause the would-be thief to look for an
easier
target.

Clearly visible and highly effective are removable steering wheels, you can
get them for about 100. You still get the prob of prospective thieves
breaking in to see if you've left the steering wheel somewhere in the
vehicle but if you haven't it makes it next to impossinble to steal.

Rgds

Andy R

Old March 23rd 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

On 20 Mar, 22:58, Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Hello Dave,

I have to agree with Andy R... the alarm will tend only to be
responded to by you. But, there;s till no reason why you can't fit a
PIR unless your motorhome is so small that the bed occupies the entire
floorplan. PIR's are available with differing patterns of coverage,
and some have a very narow beam which you should be able to aim at the
main entrance door and still leave you free to sleep comfortably.

As for immobilisers there are many on the market, and you can select
from the simple hidden switch as advocated by AlexS or spend somewhere
about 70 for a Thatcham2 immobiser such as the Maystar (I paid 57
about 5 years ago for mine so the 70 is a guess)... it took about 4
hours to fit it all, but most of that was taken up by stripping out
the dash elements to bury it so deep that no-one would find it in a
hurry. If you can produce good solder joints and aren't colour blind
then it's a simple enough job.

Ian

« - | - »