Puncture

« - | - »

Old April 11th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
divoch

Default Puncture

I have never driven anything bigger than a car and so wonder how do you deal
with a puncture? Do you change a wheel yourself or do you get a vehicle
recovery man to help?
divoch

Old April 12th 07, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Whilst perusing Usenet on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:34:40 GMT, I read these
words from "divoch" :

I have never driven anything bigger than a car and so wonder how do you deal
with a puncture? Do you change a wheel yourself or do you get a vehicle
recovery man to help?

What size / weight is your motorhome ?

-- jjj
Old April 12th 07, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message
Whilst perusing Usenet on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:34:40 GMT, I read
these
words from "divoch" :

I have never driven anything bigger than a car and so wonder how do
you deal
with a puncture? Do you change a wheel yourself or do you get a
vehicle
recovery man to help?

What size / weight is your motorhome ?

It's more about the owners / drivers ability and equipment though, for
example some people couldn't change a 10" trailer wheel whilst others
(myself included) could change a wheel on a 7.5t lorry / camper whilst
my mate has changed wheels on his 40t articulated lorry.

To answer the OP, if you need to ask then you need the assistance of a
breakdown / recovery service...

Old April 12th 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustY©

"divoch" wrote in message
I have never driven anything bigger than a car and so wonder how do you

deal
with a puncture? Do you change a wheel yourself or do you get a vehicle
recovery man to help?
divoch

There is only one way to find out. Before using a motorhome all owners
should attempt a wheel change if they think they may ever have to do it.
You would be surprised how many have unserviceable spare tyres,
useless/wrong jack, locking wheel nuts with no key and rusted solid
underslung spare wheel carriers that have to be cut off. Obviously, if you
pay for breakdown insurance then you can call them out and let them do it
for you but if not ..........

Old April 12th 07, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"divoch" wrote in message
I have never driven anything bigger than a car and so wonder how do you
deal with a puncture? Do you change a wheel yourself or do you get a
vehicle recovery man to help?

The jacks that come with most vehicles are the minimum necessary to get the
job done as are the wheelbraces etc. In a good location when you're not
pushed for time, there's not much traffic, you've got plenty of space, the
ground's firm and it's not windy then maybe do it yourself.

Otherwise call the RAC or whatever.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 12th 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
divoch

"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message
Whilst perusing Usenet on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:34:40 GMT, I read these
words from "divoch" :

I have never driven anything bigger than a car and so wonder how do you
deal
with a puncture? Do you change a wheel yourself or do you get a vehicle
recovery man to help?

What size / weight is your motorhome ?

Sorry, I should have made it clear that we do not own one yet and while
deciding what to buy it occurred to me that even such a basic thing may well
have a different meaning when one gets a motorhome and not just another car.
We intend to purchase something reasonably compact, certainly below 6m
length.

Thanks
divoch

Old April 12th 07, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Westerman[_2_]

"divoch" wrote
Sorry, I should have made it clear that we do not own one yet and while
deciding what to buy it occurred to me that even such a basic thing may
well have a different meaning when one gets a motorhome and not just
another car. We intend to purchase something reasonably compact, certainly
below 6m length.
Thanks
divoch

If you are already a member of a motoring organisation or breakdown
insurance scheme, do not assume that they will come to your assistance when
you are driving your motorhome.

The AA and RAC (and probably Green Flag) have weight and size limits on the
vehicles they normally cover. However, if you are a member of the Camping &
Caravan Club or the Caravan Club, you can join through their special schemes
and the restrictions are removed. RAC membership taken out through the
C&CC's "Arrival" scheme has no limits (or at least reduced limitations) and
the CC operate their Mayday scheme (through Green Flag I think.) There are
also commercial breakdown schemes available.

DW

Old April 12th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
divoch

"David Westerman" wrote in message

"divoch" wrote
[...]

Thanks for pointing out the restrictions. I am a RAC member and I shall bare
this in mind before my next membership renewal
divoch

Old April 14th 07, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
MajorTom

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:00:14 +0100, "Andy R"
wrote:

"divoch" wrote in message
I have never driven anything bigger than a car and so wonder how do you
deal with a puncture? Do you change a wheel yourself or do you get a
vehicle recovery man to help?

The jacks that come with most vehicles are the minimum necessary to get the
job done as are the wheelbraces etc. In a good location when you're not
pushed for time, there's not much traffic, you've got plenty of space, the
ground's firm and it's not windy then maybe do it yourself.

Otherwise call the RAC or whatever.

Rgds

Andy R

Just a few pointers about the RAC and AA although some people consider
theses the premier breakdown services I was surprised to find that
when the RAC & AA are to busy to come to your aid they subcontract out
to the like of those recovery crews which green flag employ (ie
greenmeadow here in swindon) also greenflag can recover much larger MH
then the RAC & AA can (just ask a rac man if you don't believe me) I
myself use greenflag and can't fault them myself and I find there
tariff's to be more favorable. oh and a final note about wheel nuts
being a professional driver myself one should always check these once
a month anyway.

Tom.
Old April 24th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Max

wrote:

"divoch" wrote in message
[...]

I'm with Britannia Rescue. Consistently score higher than AA and RAC
in surveys on recovery times. They also score higher in terms of value
for money (personal recover including homestart for for 2 people (any
vehicle) plus a named coachbuilt motorhome including European cover
all for approx £120 per. I forget their size/weight limitations on the
motorhome but they seem generous to me. They also use a network of
local recovery garages, and yes I would get them out to change the
wheel unless I was at home. Not because I can't do it myself but as
someone else has mentioned the van jack is not ideal especially as the
chances are it will be in a field somewhere. I'd rather have a cup of
tea and a sandwich for 30-40 mins than go through the hassle!

Best wishes,
Max

« - | - »