US motorhome, 7.5 petrol engine - mpg ???

Old April 20th 07, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

Default US motorhome, 7.5 petrol engine - mpg ???

Hi

Looking at a 32ft US motorhome, 100,000 on the clock with 7.5 petrol engine.
Any ideas what mpg you'll get on a long run (400miles) towing a small
vehicle on a car a tow fitting.

I know there are a couple of members with US vehicles. Just hoping to get a
true picture for the long run if anyone is using a similar combination.
Been told it does 12 - 15 not towing we assume?

Thanks in advance.

)

Old April 20th 07, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"roy" wrote in message
Hilary said the following on 20/04/2007 16:30:

and???????

)

Old April 20th 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roy

Hilary said the following on 20/04/2007 20:11:
"roy" wrote in message
Hilary said the following on 20/04/2007 16:30:

and???????

)

Sorry - surprised myself, Tiscali news server has started working again
(how long for? no one knows!) I was not expecting to be able to post
anything. I hit reply and it did!

Sorry - Roy
Old April 20th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"roy" wrote in message
Hilary said the following on 20/04/2007 20:11:
Sorry - surprised myself, Tiscali news server has started working again
(how long for? no one knows!) I was not expecting to be able to post
anything. I hit reply and it did!

Sorry - Roy

I thought perhaps you were laughing and dropped the keyboard? lol!

Tiscali not good then?? Demon is usually Ok but we keep getting dropped from
the system for about 30 mins every so many days. My sons on demon on
another local exchange and isnt getting problems so I'm assuming its BT
upgrading something.

Old April 21st 07, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

On 20 Apr, 11:30, "Hilary" wrote:
Hi

Looking at a 32ft US motorhome, 100,000 on the clock with 7.5 petrol engine.
Any ideas what mpg you'll get on a long run (400miles) towing a small
vehicle on a car a tow fitting.

I know there are a couple of members with US vehicles. Just hoping to get a
true picture for the long run if anyone is using a similar combination.
Been told it does 12 - 15 not towing we assume?

Thanks in advance.

)

What engine/chassis/gearbox combination?

12-15 sounds 'extremely' (aka ... ludicrously) optimistic (someone
'avin-a-larf' perhaps?)

There's no way in hell I could imagine a 450 cubic inch petrol getting
into double digits (towing). That 450 is a BIG lump of cast iron,
and with 100,000 on it I presume that it's not going to be one of the
'newer' computerised breed. If it has an Allison 5 speed box you'll
be looking at about the 10-13mpg ... but at 30ft it's probably a chevy
or ford van chassis and will be running through the chevy or ford
slush-box... in which case expect to drop another 2-3mpg because of
the drag on that box (some of them are only 3 speed).

Granted, my van is considerably bigger than what you are looking at,
has the Cummins 8.3-330'geegees' diesel... but even then I'm getting
between 11.5 and 13.5 (depends on wind as much as anything else...
driving in headwind gales drops it to the lower figure .. actually
averages out at about the 13mpg mark at an average speed of about
60'ish [cough]).
For mine towing makes practically no difference because the base
vehicle is rated at 22tonnes and runs at no more than 12, or up to 14
when towing something bulky.
The majority of my mpg is down to the size and weight of the vehicle
itself...PLUS... my right toe.
Yours will be influenced much more by the inefficiency of the big
petrol lump and the drag of towing.

ON THE PLUS SIDE THOUGH...... you can convert to LPG very easily. The
fuel consumption will get very slightly worse on gas ... BUT ... the
price differential means that you could theoretically almost double
the figures quoted above. (i.e. giving you an effective 17-20mpg
equivalent in monetary terms).

On the other hand you could always consider buying a two-owner 38ft
Coach running Cummins and Allison on a Spartan chassis; only 84,000
(the Cummins is just about run-in now) ... I could be tempted at the
right price.....
;-)

Ian

Old April 21st 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Trefor

I can't comment on the actual mpg for your vehicle, but, as a general rule,
the difference between towing a small car and solo on large capacity
vehicles is minimal.
I drive a V6 4L Ford explorer which averages around 22 mpg over several
hundred miles of normal driving.
Towing my 4-berth caravan is around 20 mpg. This is, of course, partly due
to the fact, that when towing my c'van, I am driving at a steady speed with
very few stops

HTH

Trefor

Old April 21st 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roy

Default US motorhome, 7.5 petrol engine -drifting of topic

Tiscali service is generally good, faults do happen on any network. It's
the customer service that is poor, it takes several complaints before they
grudgingly admit that they 'may' have a fault, the first replies are 'check
your settings' etc with links to irrelevant documents on their website, one
reply even suggested using a competitor's server! Even contacting them is
difficult unless you use a 0870 number... moan over , alls well at the
moment. Looks as though I should buy some shares in BP!

Roy

Old April 21st 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"roy" wrote in message
Tiscali service is generally good, faults do happen on any network.
It's the customer service that is poor, it takes several complaints
before they grudgingly admit that they 'may' have a fault, the first
replies are 'check your settings' etc with links to irrelevant
documents on their website, one reply even suggested using a
competitor's server! Even contacting them is difficult unless you
use a 0870 number... moan over , alls well at the moment. Looks as
though I should buy some shares in BP!

You get what you pay for in life, why do so many people wanting
broadband access think differently....

Old April 21st 07, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

You get what you pay for in life, why do so many people wanting broadband
access think differently....

Thats one reason we stuck with demon which is essentially a home business
package, also my eldest is a computer tech and programmer and he had been
happy with the service. But its certainly not the cheapest and given that
the only time I used my web space was when the cat went missing.

If we hadnt been planning to move I would have dropped demon in favour of a
lower costed service as to be honest I dont need tech support and its not a
critical service. Also at the moment my direction has changed and didnt end
up working from home as originally planned.

Going to be moving to a mobile service for the next year - cant seem to sign
up for a shorter period. Any thoughts on my broadband posting above??

)