Mobile broadband - can anyone recommend ?

Old April 21st 07, 02:14 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

Default Mobile broadband - can anyone recommend ?

We are going to be living in the motorhome for a while. I've been trying to
research a mobile internet service via either a usb modem or G3 card. I
need a service that has good coverage in Scotland and the Carlisle area.

Weve already ruled out Orange as we know from experience that its at best
patchy and a lot of areas no service at all. I dont think I will be able to
persuade hubby to drive 20 miles up the road just so I can log in to the
newsgroups.lol!

I have found that t-mobile and vodaphone both do a similar service. Are
there any more? Can anyone recommend a service that they are using while on
the road?

Thanks.

)

Old April 22nd 07, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nebulous

"Hilary" wrote in message
We are going to be living in the motorhome for a while. I've been trying
to research a mobile internet service via either a usb modem or G3 card.
I need a service that has good coverage in Scotland and the Carlisle area.

Weve already ruled out Orange as we know from experience that its at best
patchy and a lot of areas no service at all. I dont think I will be able
to persuade hubby to drive 20 miles up the road just so I can log in to
the newsgroups.lol!

I have found that t-mobile and vodaphone both do a similar service. Are
there any more? Can anyone recommend a service that they are using while
on the road?

Thanks.

I looked at G3 packages a few months ago for my son going to University and
Vodaphone were the only reasonably priced package. They did a 2 gb a month
package for a fixed price. I think it was 20 per month, but you may have
needed a phonecall package above that.

Neb

Old April 27th 07, 04:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Nebulous" wrote in message

I looked at G3 packages a few months ago for my son going to University
and Vodaphone were the only reasonably priced package. They did a 2 gb a
month package for a fixed price. I think it was 20 per month, but you may
have needed a phonecall package above that.

Thanks Neb

I've checked out the coverage for the areas we will be in and no reliable G3
with any of the networks. Its ok for phone and text but not the internet
services we need.

So it looks like wifi hotspots are the only way to go. We wont have to go
too far out of our way and a couple of bt's roaming partners are sited at
service stations so room for a large vehicle. Looking into wifi cards now,
theres quite a selection and I read that some come with antennae which may
extend the range a bit. No free ones in range either.

(