starting point for motorhome?

Old April 22nd 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nebulous

Default starting point for motorhome?

I know this is quite a subjective question, but what are people's views on a
sensible starting point pricewise for a Motorhome?

We unexpectedly acquired a small car recently and decided to keep it and
sell my car (Kia Sedona) and caravan with a view to buying a motorhome.

We need at least 4 berths and quite fancy a coachbuilt with a bed over the
cab. I went to see one yesterday which was an Elddis 1990 G reg with a new
MOT, described as being in very good condition.

Frankly it was a shambles. Full of filler, very tired springs, well worn
interior, leaky exhaust and lots of equipment seemed to be broken. He was
asking 5500.

We came home and decided we do not want to be trawling the very bottom of
the market anymore.

Realistically we are now thinking:- No older than 1994. Need at least two
forward facing seats in the back with seatbelts. We could be ok with LHD. I
like the look of some of the Hymers, but I must admit I have never been
inside one and would be concerned if they fell as far short of our
expectations as that one yesterday did!

So what do people see as the minimum sum needed to do that?

One possibility would be waiting until Autumn. Caravan prices are quite
seasonable and my experience has been it is much better to pick up a bargain
in October. Are Motorhomes the same?

thanks

Neb

Old April 22nd 07, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
spacerunnner

If you want anything decent and not too much expense to get up and
running, then expect to be looking at around 25000. Mileage should be
quite low, less than 30000 miles. Also look for some extras such as wind
out awning, bike rack and maybe solar panel and extra leisure batteries.
Go to as many dealers as possible to get to know the lay outs and what
the best quality in your price range you can expect. Inspect vans in hot
weather so when you enter if there are any funny smells the heat will
accentuate them, don't buy if you suspect any damp.
Old April 24th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Max

On 22 Apr, 15:39, spacerunnner wrote:
If you want anything decent and not too much expense to get up and
running, then expect to be looking at around 25000. Mileage should be
quite low, less than 30000 miles. Also look for some extras such as wind
out awning, bike rack and maybe solar panel and extra leisure batteries.
Go to as many dealers as possible to get to know the lay outs and what
the best quality in your price range you can expect. Inspect vans in hot
weather so when you enter if there are any funny smells the heat will
accentuate them, don't buy if you suspect any damp.

25k !
It really does depend on what you intend to do with it . I have a 1991
Autosleeper Talisman Monocoque (so no leaks) coachbuilt in excellent
condition at 40k miles and probably worth no more than 8k max (it is
NOT for sale btw) . It meets our touring holiday needs perfectly with
2 Adults and 2 children age 10 & 5. Also at 5.5meters long (6m with
the bike rack) it fits in most car parks and handles the UK's minor
country roads with minimal hassle. We tour extensively in the UK and
plan to go overseas this year. For our style of holiday it is perfect
where a larger model would sometimes be restrictive. I'd also be
worried about getting a larger and more expensive model damaged in
carparks and down the minor roads where it can be rubbing hedgerows on
both sides at times (the road to Carn Euny in Cornwall was
particularly memorable in this respect!)

With 4 of us it can be a little claustrophobic after about 2 weeks or
if we get persistent rain and have to stay in a lot (in which case we
use an awning) but usually its just for touring/eating/sleeping in.
We're not ones to sit in it watching telly or what not on a campsite
for hours (I'm not denigrating that, each to their own be it tent,
caravan or M/Home, just not for us). Late 1980s to early 1990s will
probably be on a Talbot/Fiat/C25 base vehicle in which case you may
find the info on this website helpful: www.jktowers.fsnet.co.uk/motorhome

I do believe there are seasonal fluctuations in prices (of older
motorhomes at least, I don't follow new prices). October - March is
probably the best time.
Hope that helps.
PW

Old April 27th 07, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"Nebulous" wrote in message
[...]

Hymers, although we spent over 20k on our van you can get some very
reasonable early 90's Hymer A-Classes for around 12k ish.

Old April 28th 07, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nebulous

"Max" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks it does help.

I'm playing a watching and waiting game at the moment- studying all the
prices and keeping a good eye on ebay. I may have to come back to this in
the Autumn.

In the meantime I have bought a galvanised trainer, am getting a towbar
fitted to the Fiesta and am exploring the attic to see which I think is the
most suitable of the 4-5 tents hiding up there.

Neb

Old April 28th 07, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nebulous

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

"Nebulous" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm

That's better, but its still a bit more than I would like to pay. I really
need to get a good look around inside a Hymer at some point. Did you import
yours?

Neb

Old April 30th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

Hymers, although we spent over 20k on our van you can get some very
reasonable early 90's Hymer A-Classes for around 12k ish.

Hmmm

That's better, but its still a bit more than I would like to pay. I really
need to get a good look around inside a Hymer at some point. Did you
import yours?

Neb

We imported our last VW T25 Westy ourselves, but got the Hymer from a
dealer.

http://www.motorhometradewarehouse.co.uk/index.html

There are also these others, the advantage is that you can see more than one
at once, you can always go look to see what you like then look for one
elsewhere.

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/
http://www.hymersdirect.com/
http://www.dmiuk.com/sale_hyhist.php