Motorhome on eurotunnel and toll roads in France

Old April 22nd 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
PC

Default Motorhome on eurotunnel and toll roads in France

Hi,

I've rented a 5-berth motorhome for May to travel to south France.

1. Eurotunnel have the following on there site...

Vehicles fitted with LPG containers to power domestic services e.g. cooking,
refrigeration, heating and water heaters are accepted as long as the
containers are switched off, weigh no more than 47kg and are not more than
80% full. If your vehicle is fitted with such a container, you must declare
this at Check-In.

Does anyone know if this applies to my motorhome ? - I wasn't able to get a
clear answer from their booking agents. I presume the motorhome will use
butane or propane so does this still apply ?

2. Any ideas how much i'm likely to pay in tolls travelling from Calais to
Nice ? We will be sticking to main roads as much as possible.

Any help much appreciated
--
Peter

Old April 22nd 07, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"PC" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Peter,

A motorhome with normal gas bottle capacity will be well below the limit
prescribed (usually max out at 32kg or so - two large bottles - , and 80%
rule is automatically met on standard bottles)..

Many motorhomers (and caravanners) use the tunnel (myself included).

Unless you've hired something well out of the ordinary, you will be OK. The
only issues tend to arise from *large fixed* gas tanks, (and LPG fuelled
*vehicles* - are still not allowed).

I tend to stay off the motorways in France since a standard motorhome is
pretty expensive.

They generally charge based on height at front axle, which puts you into
commercial vehicle/lorry rates (and tolls thus always used to higher than
car + caravan).

www.autoroutes.fr gives calculation of tolls (select the English version). I
suspect your closest estimate will be by selecting 'lorry up to 3.5t'
(though if you're over 3.5t - and I am, then tolls will be even higher).

If you're in a hurry to get South, then autoroute it is, but if not, there
are good toll-free routes that will show you more of France, and buy you
some good meals for the difference.

Bob

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old April 22nd 07, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
PC

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
"PC" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the info.

That site suggests ~200 euros for the tolls (Eeek!).

Our plan is to get a train at 11pm in England and drive straight to Nice
through the night (2 drivers). Google maps reckons 11 hours (at 50mph) so we
assumed 16-18 hours with fuel and food stops hence arriving about 6pm.

How much extra time do you think you add by going off the motorway ? 30% ? I
realise this will be ballpark but I have no idea what the roads are like as
I've never been to France before.

Or are we being overly ambitious anyway and we'll never make it in one day ?

Thanks again for the help
--
Pete

Old April 23rd 07, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"PC" wrote in message

snip

Or are we being overly ambitious anyway and we'll never make it in
one day ?

How much long distance driving have you done, how much 'driving on the
right' have you done, how much driving of large vehicles have to do, I
strongly suspect that you are being overly ambitious as you will
probably need the help of the other driver just to cope with driving
on the right (assuming that not all your driving is on motorways and
the motorhome is not LHD). I certainly would not advise night time
driving away from the motorway unless you have the assistance of a
second / third person to map read, sight sign-posts and junctions etc.
in your apparent circumstances!...

Old April 23rd 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"PC" wrote in message

snip

Thanks for the info.

That site suggests ~200 euros for the tolls (Eeek!).

Our plan is to get a train at 11pm in England and drive straight to Nice
through the night (2 drivers). Google maps reckons 11 hours (at 50mph) so
we assumed 16-18 hours with fuel and food stops hence arriving about 6pm.

How much extra time do you think you add by going off the motorway ? 30% ?
I realise this will be ballpark but I have no idea what the roads are like
as I've never been to France before.

Or are we being overly ambitious anyway and we'll never make it in one day
?

Thanks again for the help
--
Pete

French roads are generally pretty decent driving (much less busy than UK
except round major towns). Not using the motorway is a good way of getting
to know France, driving at a reasonable speed allows for sightseeing..

The overall speed limits and the continual passing through small
villages/towns at 50kph means that progress is not generally fast however.

There are long, non-toll sections of certain motorways south, and non-toll
sections of motorways round large conurbations also help.

The toll motorways are good quality, fast, and generally low in traffic
(peripherique round Paris excepted), but you pay for the privilege, and in a
motorhome even more so (category 2 or 3 charging, depending on vehicle size
and whim of toll person!).

The 200 euro figure you quote doesn't surprise me. I was next to a hired van
at Saumur at Easter, and they reckoned they had spent several hundred in
tolls, and only half way down France.

I would go with the other replies here, and unless you are desperate to get
to Nice, travel down in a few hops. 8 hours driving in a motorhome is long
enough for most (its not like a car). 8 hours for back-seat passengers (if
you have them) is an eternity.

If you do, I'd be inclined to either cross the channel early morning and
head south during the day, or cross late afternoon, stop within an hour or
so, and get a full day in the next day. (both times can be had cheaper on
the tunnel, though ferries are generally cheaper anyway)

Two overnights on the way would see you there in three days, and give chance
to get a break and a couple of good evening meals for the value of the
tolls. You'll also not be knocked out when you get there.

Beware the speed limits. The Gendarme are very active, and radar traps have
proliferated on all roads (including Autoroutes).

BTW, my Tom Tom gives 11:33 hours, 757miles using toll motorways, and
17:29, 791 miles avoiding tolls.You wouldn't match these times in a
motorhome, but it gives a comparison, and shows what you're getting for your
money.

Bob

Old April 25th 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
La Croix Joreau

Bob Douglas wrote:
"PC" wrote in message

[...]

The thing to remember with France is that it is a large country and to
drive long distances does take a long time. Also driving anything other
than a car will take even longer. It comes as a major surprise how long
it takes getting places to first time drivers in France.

We always used to take two days driving to the south in a car and that
was with two drivers and using motorways.

Using mappy.com it says tolls will be 200 euros using the motorway route
and will take about 16 and a bit hours - using a non-toll route going
through parts of Belguim and Luxembourg will take 22 hours - and then
what you save on the tolls you pay for the extra fuel - Mappy does tell
you where the fixed cameras are in France but the use of mobile radar
speed detectors is more prevalent these days and I have seen three in
the past three days.

Trying to do the journey in one hit is just going to exhaust both of the
drivers and there will then be the danger of falling asleep on some of
the long motorway endless drags.

My suggestion would be to get a good map and and work out a route that
is a mixture of both motorway and ordinary road - for example the
motorway to Reims is a long interminable stretch that is very boring and
just seems to take hours and hours. If you get a late night shuttle I
would suggest doing a maximum of a couple of hours or so on the motorway
and then pull into an aire and get a good sleep.

Look at the various N roads (the equivalent of A roads in the UK) and
see which ones are almost straight for mile after mile and use those
where possible.

The other thing that has been touched on is petrol stations - on
ordinary roads they close for the night as do the supermarkets where
fuel is cheaper and your english card will not work in the automated
petrol pumps - on the motorways they are open 24 hours a day and are
about every 50 kilometers, but you also pay a lot more per litre.

Just as an after thought - and as a gite owner just north of Saumur - I
was thinking of the differing costs of taking a van to France with the
extra ferry costs, motorway tolls, extra fuel costs, site fees, etc as
opposed to driving over and staying in a gite and I reckon it is cheaper
to stay in a gite especially outside of July and August - just my view
hehe

John

http://www.lacroixjoreau.com - Cottages and apartments in the Loire
Valley, France
Old April 29th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
CelticRambler

I consider myself an experienced m/h driver, almost exclusively in France
and there's no way I'd do that trip in one hop. If I'm returning from the
UK, I usually get that late-night train (22h00 onwards), stop overnight
within an hour of Calais and do my "home run" the next day, about 600km. By
the time I've done that, I've had enough for one day - and that's knowing
that I'll be arriving on my own driveway with the kettle ready for a cuppa.

If you need/want to get to Nice so quickly, would you not be better off
getting the train/flying and hiring a m/h locally?

If you can be persuaded to do it in three or four stages, I'd suggest
cutting those tolls by using toll-free motor way, Abbeville-Reims, then
mostly up-graded N-road Rouen-Chartres, followed by toll-free A20
Vierzon-Brive. Total tolls, class 2 about 35?. From there you could go
straight across the Massif Central towards Lyon and continue South, or skirt
the souther edge of the Mass.Cent. going cross-country towards Montpellier
before turning East to Nice.

I'd do that in three days.

There's precious little camper-friendly parking around Nice, so you'll need
to know where you're going when you get there - or allow even more time to
find somewhere to stop (even to stretch your legs).