The big clubs and Overnight stopping sites

Old May 8th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DavidM

Default The big clubs and Overnight stopping sites

Josiah Jenkins replied to a post of mine reminding me of the two big UK
camping clubs. It got me wondering, they might not be as keen as the
average motorhome owner to see low cost motorhome overnight sites in the
UK.

A quick look at their websites gave the number of members as; Caravan
Club 360,000, Camping and Caravanning Club 400,000. Based on their
membership fees, they each have a budget of 12-13 million each year and
a serious influence over the UK tourism industry.

Are there any places in the UK where motorhomes can stop over night,
hook up and rewater for a few pounds? There are plenty of club member
only Certified Sites/locations, but the good ones are always booked up,
and the bad ones full of tank traps.

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Old May 9th 07, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Whilst perusing Usenet on Tue, 08 May 2007 16:11:06 +0100, I read
these words from DavidM :

Josiah Jenkins replied to a post of mine reminding me of the two big UK
camping clubs. It got me wondering, they might not be as keen as the
average motorhome owner to see low cost motorhome overnight sites in the
UK.

'Might not' ?

The Chairman of the Caravan Club is on record, whilst addressing
a conference in Europe, as stating their outright opposition to the
idea of Stellplatz / Aires in the UK.

That's the year I let my membership lapse and joined the MCC.

-- jjj
Old May 9th 07, 04:26 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message

The Chairman of the Caravan Club is on record, whilst addressing
a conference in Europe, as stating their outright opposition to the
idea of Stellplatz / Aires in the UK.

That's the year I let my membership lapse and joined the MCC.

I might be joining you soon. Although we've hung on because we particularly
like the Stamford and Carlisle sites.

They dont want us staying elsewhere but at the same time they are doing
their damnedest to push motorhomes off the sites. I'm not directing this at
the wardens who really put in 200% and I've never met a bad one yet.

The cc are insisting on converting the majority of sites to loo block etc
and putting the prices up accordingly. Fair enough for those who use the
facilities but I would guess that most motorhomers especially out of season
without the kids on board just use their own facilities. There should be a
choice, maybe paying a few for the washblock key if you want to use it or
a discount if you dont?

I'm getting encreasingly annoyed at having to pay for services which I dont
need and the non facility sites which are good value at 6 are rapidly
either being converted or removed from the circuit. We chat to quite a few
pensioners on site. The general feeling is that at 6 they can afford to go
away whenever they like but the dearer sights are out of their budget and
some are giving up their vans earlier because of it.

The Cl's are mostly not suitable for short stays especially during wetter
weather conditions. They are also fighting for survival due to various
regulations (like the metering), they are no longer a cheaper option anyway
and look at the numbers giving up each season - mostly not financially
viable it seems. A few years ago the main cause of a cl closing was
retirement and hence change of ownership of the land.

Oh dear youve got me started now!!

(

Old May 9th 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DavidM

Hilary wrote, On 09/05/2007 04:26:
"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message
The Chairman of the Caravan Club is on record, whilst addressing
a conference in Europe, as stating their outright opposition to the
idea of Stellplatz / Aires in the UK.

That's the year I let my membership lapse and joined the MCC.

I might be joining you soon. Although we've hung on because we particularly
like the Stamford and Carlisle sites.

The Cl's are mostly not suitable for short stays especially during wetter
weather conditions. They are also fighting for survival due to various
regulations (like the metering), they are no longer a cheaper option anyway
and look at the numbers giving up each season - mostly not financially
viable it seems. A few years ago the main cause of a cl closing was
retirement and hence change of ownership of the land.

The MCC supplies forms for creating CLs for Motorcaravans, which just
makes the problem worse by creating more small member only sites. They
mention that the certified status gets around Local Council permissions.
Are the Local Councils really against Stellplatz style sites, or is it
the hassle of getting planning permission that puts people off?

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Old May 9th 07, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"DavidM" wrote in message
The MCC supplies forms for creating CLs for Motorcaravans, which just
makes the problem worse by creating more small member only sites. They
mention that the certified status gets around Local Council permissions.
Are the Local Councils really against Stellplatz style sites, or is it the
hassle of getting planning permission that puts people off?

I looked at that on the site. I'm not sure about the planning permission
issue but when we find out where we are living I'm considering being a cl.
It seems to be very painless (if true). I dont think the cc help people to
set up a cl at all.

I think the local councils are against anything thats slightly different.
Its all down to revenue in my oppinion. You apply they charge you then turn
you down. You apply again they charge you then turn it down. Most people
going for any sort of planning permission end up re-applying at least once.
I heard of someone who was turned down the first time because the drain pipe
was 2" to near the corner of the building, they'd already moved it cause it
was too far the other way! Nice little earner in my view?

)

Old May 9th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Whilst perusing Usenet on Wed, 09 May 2007 18:27:19 +0100, I read
these words from DavidM :
Hilary wrote, On 09/05/2007 04:26:
"Josiah Jenkins" wrote in message

snipped

Are the Local Councils really against Stellplatz style sites,

Looks that way in most areas of the UK.
Even parking a motorhome appears to be a problem
in many areas. I don't think that they realise just how
much potential (ie income/money) there is to be had by
encouraging people to stop for a couple of hours or
overnight. We have to buy groceries somewhere !

or is it the hassle of getting planning permission that
puts people off?

That has to be a factor.
As you said, 'They MCC mention that the certified