Protecting a laptop in a motorhome?

Old May 18th 07, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

Default Protecting a laptop in a motorhome?

Will the normal surge connector I use at home be sufficient to protect it
from surge or spikes or do I need something else/different?

And if the power is supplied by generator does that make any difference?

Or with an inverter - its a better one with a steady sine wave output I
think?

)

Old May 18th 07, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Hilary" wrote in message
Will the normal surge connector I use at home be sufficient to protect it
from surge or spikes or do I need something else/different?

And if the power is supplied by generator does that make any difference?

Or with an inverter - its a better one with a steady sine wave output I
think?

Most laptops have a decent power supply quite capable of dealing with
surges, spikes and cheap inverters. In addition the battery will have a
damping effect. I've run several laptops over the years from cheap
inverters and generators with no problems.

What I'd worry about more is the data on the laptop if it gets stolen. Do
you keep a backup elsewhere and is the data securely encrypted?

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 18th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Andy R" wrote in message

What I'd worry about more is the data on the laptop if it gets stolen. Do
you keep a backup elsewhere and is the data securely encrypted?

Thank you for mentioning encryption. It had slipped my mind. We are quite
well backed up but am also leaving a copy with my son. Normally I'd leave a
copy at home in the fire safe as well as taking one with me but that wont be
much use this time.

I am assuming a passworded zip file should be sufficient or would you
recommend another utility?

)

Old May 18th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Hilary" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message

What I'd worry about more is the data on the laptop if it gets stolen.
Do you keep a backup elsewhere and is the data securely encrypted?

Thank you for mentioning encryption. It had slipped my mind. We are
quite well backed up but am also leaving a copy with my son. Normally I'd
leave a copy at home in the fire safe as well as taking one with me but
that wont be much use this time.

I am assuming a passworded zip file should be sufficient or would you
recommend another utility?

If it's worth protecting then it's worth protecting with something a lot
better than winzip's algorithm. I'm no expert on encryption but if you
search for some commercial product on the web that should be OK.

IIRC, with XP pro, you can encrypt with the operating system and, provided
you're using decent passwords, this is about as secure as it gets.

Rgds

Andy R