TV licence

Old May 22nd 07, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

Default TV licence

As I've probably mentioned before we've just sold the house and until we
find where we want to leave will be touring in the camper .

I spoke to tv licence authourity and apparently they dont have a rule in
their books to cover not having a fixed abode. Between 3 members of staff
they have suggested:-

a) tranfer the address as c/o to friend or relative - which may or may not
confuse the computer when the residents' of said address tv licence comes up
for renewal.

b) leave it where it is - and hope it doesnt screw up the new owners
application, which apparently it might? And again technically if you dont
imform them of your change of address to a new fixed abode you arnt covered.

c) cancel it - but they cant find anything to back that one up, wont put it
in writing and have said that random spot checks on camp sites have taken
place in the past. Although they rely mainly on database information now
they cant guarantee spot checks wont be instigated. At the same time signing
up for a tv licence without a fixed address is apparently technically not
possible according to their understanding of the rules.

So have others done in that situation?? Anyone got a definitive ruling?

( )))))) --- me banging my head against the nearest wall ( which I
dont own anymore).

Old May 22nd 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Hilary" wrote in message
As I've probably mentioned before we've just sold the house and until we
find where we want to leave will be touring in the camper

delete leave and insert live - cant spell now!!!!!

(

Old May 22nd 07, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"Hilary" wrote in news:f2v3kk$5q7$1
:

As I've probably mentioned before we've just sold the house and until we
find where we want to leave will be touring in the camper .

I spoke to tv licence authourity and apparently they dont have a rule in
their books to cover not having a fixed abode.

You might find it far worse than that and that your TV license might be the
least of your problems.

You must inform DVLA and your insurance company of your change of abode and
unless you have a permanent, UK address, you cannot be the registered
keeper of a UK motor vehicle. Also, your insurance will be based on the
permanent address you gave, and so that too could be invalid.

Just a thought,

--
Geoff
Old May 30th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher Irritates Me

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting - something I wasn't aware of.

A few years ago we spent 7 weeks touring in our MH, having completed the
sale on one property and awaiting some lazy arsed builders to finish our new
one. Technically we had no fixed abode - our furniture was in storage, and
we were homeless apart from the van. Never gave any thought to the points
you raised.

Actually, it wasn't the wonderful experience that you might imagine. For
starters, I was acutely conscious that the MH was our only abode - and I was
constantly worried about someone driving into the back of it, leaving us
well and truly up that well known creek without the proverbial paddle.

Also, the freedom to wander palls much sooner than you might think. We
stayed mostly on CCC holiday rallies - and, as the weeks progressed, we
became increasingly envious of the regular holidaymakers who would pack up
after a week or two and head back home. It's surprising how boring
'touring' can become when you have nothing else to do

I can still recall the wonderment of moving into our new home - with what
felt like its giant sized cooker, and enormous showers - as for a WC that
didn't need to be emptied..........can heaven really be better much than
that?