PLease help! Advice needed. I want to buy a motorhome.

« - | - »

Old June 5th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher Irritates Me Frequently

Default PLease help! Advice needed. I want to buy a motorhome.

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all. I just signed up, so please be kind if I joined the wrong
group!?

Being a child of the Internet, I can't make any big descisions without
consulting a relevant user community somewhere!

So, I am I complete newcomer to the world of motorhomes, but I do know
that I want to be able to tour the UK at my leisure with a vehicle
that as a mimimum will have:

Shower
Toilet
Kitchen with gas cooking and fridge.
Optional - some sort of awning?

I have approx 5000 to spend, but could rustle up some more cash if
there was a really good buy somewhere.

Also - very important would be the how well it would hold it's value;
if I descided after a year it wasn't for me, i can;t really afford to
loose much cash!

So - that's in in a nutshell. Can anyone of you lovely people help
out a rookie?!

Thanks in advance,

Hello, child of the 'net. - you'd be better off asking your questions at
uk.rec.motorcaravans (to which I've cross-posted the thread) but I can give
you some answers anyway.

Firstly, 5k isn't going to go very far in the world of MH's, and you really
need to buy privately if you're going to get anything decent at that price.

Dealer warranties at that price level are going to be pretty limited, so
assuming you have the basic mechanical knowledge to avoid buying a banger
you won't be any worse off buying privately, and you'll certainly get a lot
more for your money.

I don't know what caravan experience you have - but, assuming none, the
first thing to realise is that MH's come in two flavours - those derived
from panel vans, and those using a light goods vehicle chassis to which a
'caravan' has been attached.

Caravans leak - i.e, water penetrates the seals and causes rotting in the
wooden frame and interior wallboards. That's a fact of life (particularly
for British caravans) and MH's are no exception to this rule. So, after
ascertaining the mechanical condition your next important task is to see if
it is (as has been) leaking, and whether there is any damp - particularly
adjacent to the exterior seals and around the windows/door.

Damp is *the* killer - it costs a fortune to repair and is much more
troublesome than a straightforward mechanical defect like a worn clutch, or
similar.

So, because of that, and given that anything you buy for 5K will probably be
damp, I'd suggest a panel van conversion - meaning that you neatly side-step
the damp problem in exchange for smaller living accommodation and reduced
facilities.

Look out for something like an LDV conversion by Devon (the Devon Sahara,
for example) They were relatively inexpensive when new, are based on the
LDV Convoy (which is a bit antiquated, but has cheap and easily available
parts) and will give you the shower, etc. that you are seeking. Being a
panel van with a manufacturer fitted high roof you can, at least, forget
about soggy walls and crumbling timber.

I suggest the LDV because it's about the only one that might off a decent
example in your price range - Autosleepers make better conversions, but they
tend to go for very silly prices.

For resale value, stay well away from 'home conversions' - try and get a
properly converted vehicle and, if you take the time to get a v=bargain,
you're unlikely to lose much on it when you re-sell.

I'm sure others will have even better advice - but I hope that's a starting
point.

Old June 5th 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tricky Dicky

On 5 Jun, 11:41, "Mary Fisher Irritates Me Frequently"
wrote:
[...]

Well MFIMF - thanks for the advice - it seems it was worthwhile asking
- I didn't know any of that - but now I do, so thank you... It sounds
like I need to restle up some more cash?! I'll go over to the
motorhomes groups and keep digging.... Thanks again!

Old June 5th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dog Poop

Tricky Dicky farted out
On 5 Jun, 11:41, "Mary Fisher Irritates Me Frequently"

I'm sure others will have even better advice - but I hope that's a
starting point.

Well MFIMF - thanks for the advice - it seems it was worthwhile asking
- I didn't know any of that - but now I do, so thank you... It sounds
like I need to restle up some more cash?! I'll go over to the
motorhomes groups and keep digging.... Thanks again!

Whoa ..... no need for more cash. If this is your first time motorhoming
then I'd say 5k is a good amount to spend. At the moment you think you
know what you want/need in a mh, but how do you know that unless you've
tried it? 5k isn't a lot to 'lose' if you buy wrongly.

I'd suggest buy what you can that you think fits your requirements for the
cash available and use it for a few weekends/weeks away in varied
situations. It took us a while before we settled for a layout/configuration
that _really_ suited what we do and how we do it. Same would go for (as in
our case) a caravan, as a mh just didn't suit what we do when we're away.

Use the budget available wisely and trade-up when you more definitely know
what you want from the motorhome.

--
Dog Poop

Stand by me,

Old June 5th 07, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tricky Dicky

On 5 Jun, 14:49, "Dog Poop" wrote:
Tricky Dicky farted out

[...]

Thank you Dog Poop! I'm currently bidding on a 1990 Renault motorhome
on ebay... hopefully will get it for less than 4000!

Old June 5th 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher

Whoa ..... no need for more cash. If this is your first time motorhoming
then I'd say 5k is a good amount to spend. At the moment you think you
know what you want/need in a mh, but how do you know that unless you've
tried it? 5k isn't a lot to 'lose' if you buy wrongly.

I'd suggest buy what you can that you think fits your requirements for the
cash available and use it for a few weekends/weeks away in varied
situations. It took us a while before we settled for a
layout/configuration that _really_ suited what we do and how we do it.
Same would go for (as in our case) a caravan, as a mh just didn't suit
what we do when we're away.

Use the budget available wisely and trade-up when you more definitely know
what you want from the motorhome.

I'd agree with that.

Mary

Old June 6th 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Trefor

Don't be too hasty about upping your price.
There are plenty of campervans available for under 3,000. Sure, they won't
be pristine status symbols, but many have low mileages for their year.
As mentioned, converted panel vans are probably best for you.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a shower, don't forget you have to get
the water, and then dispose of it. Most camping grounds have showers. There
are some that don't but you just avoid them,

A quick look on eBay at 10am 6th June, shows a 1990 Renault Master long
wheel base 43k diesel, listed as "Excellent", which ticks all your boxes,
currently at 3100 with 1 hour 40 minutes to go (item 300116460603), and a
1988 Fiat Ducato at 1500 with 3 hours to go. Item number: 140122733792

HTH
Trefor

Old June 14th 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tricky Dicky

On 6 Jun, 10:04, "Trefor" wrote:
[...]

Hey all, if you you're interested, got myself the 1990 Renault master
T35 camper for 4,500. She's a beaut! Off to Glastonbury next week
with her... I think I'm going to like this....

Old June 14th 07, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Trefor

Well, good for you, I had an "A" reg a few years ago, good size for parking
etc, and plenty of power with a 2.5 diesel, and reasonable amount of room.

Happy camping