laptop as in-car dvd

Old June 6th 07, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Default laptop as in-car dvd

hi
i will be spending 6 weeks of this summer travelling in the van to
france and was planning to use the laptop as a dvd player for the kids
whilst on the move. Any thoughts on a suitable way to stop the thing
sliding about the table and falling off?
stephen
--
http://www.pigtownfling.co.uk
email will bounce - try 'mail' instead
Old June 6th 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Stephen McNally" wrote in message
hi
i will be spending 6 weeks of this summer travelling in the van to france
and was planning to use the laptop as a dvd player for the kids whilst on
the move. Any thoughts on a suitable way to stop the thing sliding about
the table and falling off?

We use a non-slip tablecloth. It feels a bit like rubber, they're available
in most camping/caravanning stores.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 6th 07, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Andy R wrote:
We use a non-slip tablecloth. It feels a bit like rubber, they're
available in most camping/caravanning stores. Rgds Andy R

Not sure if I would be happy with that. The laptop is my wife's work
machine and I don't fancy it rolling off the table when breaking to
avoid kamikaze French tractors!
stephen

Old June 6th 07, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

Andy R wrote:
We use a non-slip tablecloth. It feels a bit like rubber, they're
available in most camping/caravanning stores. Rgds Andy R

Not sure if I would be happy with that. The laptop is my wife's work
machine and I don't fancy it rolling off the table when breaking to avoid
kamikaze French tractors!

Mine's a works laptop as well. I've travelled thousands of miles with it
using this method and never had a prob.

Try a defensive driving course. I used to teach PCV (PSV) driving where
sharp braking and sudden swerving is, at best, frowned upon and , at worst,
likely to result in injury to passengers, particularly if they're standing.
With the correct techniques you'll find it extremely rare to ever have to
brake or corner sharply.

Hope I don't sound too patronising

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 7th 07, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DavidM

Stephen McNally wrote, On 06/06/2007 08:11:
hi
i will be spending 6 weeks of this summer travelling in the van to
france and was planning to use the laptop as a dvd player for the kids
whilst on the move. Any thoughts on a suitable way to stop the thing
sliding about the table and falling off?
stephen

How about keeping the laptop safe in it's bag, and outputting to a cheap
TFT screen (such as Dabs quicklinx: 4412WS 85) or much cheaper via
eBay. It would have better sound output and viewing angle than a laptop,
and the base could be strapped down or screwed to something solid. The
rear mountains are often in a industry standard pattern, so any wall
mount kit should be OK, as long as it can be secured.

The power supplies usually output 12v (although I don't know about the
dabs one), so should be easily exchanged for a similar cigar lighter
version.

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Old June 20th 07, 06:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen McNally

Andy R wrote:
We use a non-slip tablecloth. It feels a bit like rubber, they're
available in most camping/caravanning stores. Rgds Andy R

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to try it with a non-slip mat and
the extra help of a luggage strap around both the laptop and the table.
stephen