Left hand drive

Old June 15th 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wallbike

Default Left hand drive

Hi All,
Thinking of buying a Left hand drive Fiat Granduco, And would
appreciate any views or pitfalls on driving a LHD vehicle in the UK.
Cheers Wallbike.

Old June 15th 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Whilst perusing Usenet on Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:29:51 -0000, I read
these words from wallbike :

Hi All,
Thinking of buying a Left hand drive Fiat Granduco, And would
appreciate any views or pitfalls on driving a LHD vehicle in the UK.

IME, no pitfalls at all.
Last one was a LHD Burstner,
I now have a LHD Weinsberg.

Passengers can become 'excited' with oncoming
traffic on narrow roads . . .

-- jjj
Old June 16th 07, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustYŠ

"wallbike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,
Thinking of buying a Left hand drive Fiat Granduco, And would
appreciate any views,,,,,

Some insurers will not touch them. You will have problems when you want to
sell it (and get less than you think). It is sometimes difficult /
impossible to see traffic as you join motorways / dual carriage ways via
slip roads. Overtaking can be difficult especially in town in slow moving
traffic. Paying at toll booths can be fun. etc etc. But, you can get them
much cheaper than UK spec models so it is worth thinking about. It depends
on what you want to do with it - like all things 'motorhome'.

Old June 16th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi,

wallbike schrieb:

Thinking of buying a Left hand

Go for it! ;-)

appreciate any views or pitfalls on driving a LHD vehicle in the UK.

From my view - I'm Austrian and therefor used to LHD - there isn't any
pitfall. When visiting GB several times I never had either problems to
drive on the "wrong" side, or sitting on the wrong side in the car.

Even the mentioned slip roads are no problems, or at least no other
problems as at home. Mirrors are invented... ;-)

Roland
(Graz, Austria)

Old June 17th 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wallbike

On Jun 15, 10:43 pm, Josiah Jenkins
wrote:
Whilst perusing Usenet on Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:29:51 -0000, I read
these words from wallbike :

Hi All,
Thinking of buying a Left hand drive Fiat Granduco, And would
appreciate any views or pitfalls on driving a LHD vehicle in the UK.

IME, no pitfalls at all.
Last one was a LHD Burstner,
I now have a LHD Weinsberg.

Passengers can become 'excited' with oncoming
traffic on narrow roads . . .

-- jjj

Hi jjj,
Thank you for your comments on LHD, Much appreciated.
Wallbike

Old June 17th 07, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wallbike

On Jun 16, 8:02 am, "RustYŠ" wrote:
"wallbike" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi All,
Thinking of buying a Left hand drive Fiat Granduco, And would
appreciate any views,,,,,

Some insurers will not touch them. You will have problems when you want to
sell it (and get less than you think). It is sometimes difficult /
impossible to see traffic as you join motorways / dual carriage ways via
slip roads. Overtaking can be difficult especially in town in slow moving
traffic. Paying at toll booths can be fun. etc etc. But, you can get them
much cheaper than UK spec models so it is worth thinking about. It depends
on what you want to do with it - like all things 'motorhome'.

Hi Rusty,
Thanks for your advice on LHD campers much appreciated.
Wallbike

Old June 17th 07, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wallbike

On Jun 16, 11:20 am, "Roland Messerschmidt"
wrote:
Hi,

wallbike schrieb:

Thinking of buying a Left hand

Go for it! ;-)

appreciate any views or pitfalls on driving a LHD vehicle in the UK.

From my view - I'm Austrian and therefor used to LHD - there isn't any
pitfall. When visiting GB several times I never had either problems to
drive on the "wrong" side, or sitting on the wrong side in the car.

Even the mentioned slip roads are no problems, or at least no other
problems as at home. Mirrors are invented... ;-)

Roland
(Graz, Austria)

Hi Roland,
Thanks for your comments on LHD much appreciated.
wallbike

Old June 19th 07, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"wallbike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,
Thinking of buying a Left hand drive Fiat Granduco, And would
appreciate any views or pitfalls on driving a LHD vehicle in the UK.
Cheers Wallbike.

Personally on my third LHD, never had any problems with insurance or selling
on.

You soon adapt for the few pitfalls such as some junctions where you have to
position your self slightly different to see, but that works both ways on
some others you can see better than RHD.

99% of the time I have the wife with me so also use her eyes, get some wide
angle mirrors to suplement the main ones.

Old June 19th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

snip...

Passengers can become 'excited' with oncoming
traffic on narrow roads . . .

-- jjj

Oh yes, much fun can be had :-)

Old July 15th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Vister.co.uk

I suppose the question to oneself is, why am I considering buying a LHD?

Regards,
www.vister.co.uk