Liesure batteries

Old June 19th 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Peter & Andrea

Default Liesure batteries

Hi,
My motorhome has 2 85 Ah lead/acid batteries that don't seem to hold
much of a charge. They are only 18 months old.
I've read recently that if the voltage is allowed to drop below 10.5
volts the cells can be damaged, I suspect the voltage has been low on
several occassions..
Have I damaged the cells????

I am considering putting in 2 110 Ah batteries.
Do gell batteries suffer the same if discharged too much??
Are there any other type of battery I should consider.

Many thanks
Peter

Old June 19th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lenny

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:33:35 +0100, Peter & Andrea
wrote:

Hi,
My motorhome has 2 85 Ah lead/acid batteries that don't seem to hold
much of a charge. They are only 18 months old.
I've read recently that if the voltage is allowed to drop below 10.5
volts the cells can be damaged, I suspect the voltage has been low on
several occassions..
Have I damaged the cells????

I am considering putting in 2 110 Ah batteries.
Do gell batteries suffer the same if discharged too much??
Are there any other type of battery I should consider.

Many thanks
Peter

Take a look at AGM (Absorptive Glass Micro-Fibre) batteries. They are
fully sealed life expectancy of 10 years, designed for deep cycle use
and engine cranking. Very low natural loss so should withstand being
left without charging for months, charge quicker than a Gel battery
cost about the same (110ahr about 110).

For info take a look here http://www.mpoweruk.com/leadacid.htm

and a look at ebay item 130126695019

Lenny

For better visability
Fit Osram Silver Star Headlamp Bulbs
50% Brighter beam, 20m Longer beam

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Old June 24th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"Peter & Andrea" wrote in message
Hi,
My motorhome has 2 85 Ah lead/acid batteries that don't seem to hold
much of a charge. They are only 18 months old.
I've read recently that if the voltage is allowed to drop below 10.5
volts the cells can be damaged, I suspect the voltage has been low
on
several occassions..
Have I damaged the cells????

I am considering putting in 2 110 Ah batteries.
Do gell batteries suffer the same if discharged too much??
Are there any other type of battery I should consider.

It's more important what use the batteries get, as long as your aux'
battery is a true 'leisure' type (the vehicle battery still needs to
be a vehicle type battery capable of high cranking currents), semi
deep cycling is not such a problem - what kills batteries is standing
and having no cycling at all, this is what used to kill lawn-mower
batteries when they used to be left sitting in the shed and what can
still kill a battery when a motorcaravan is laid-up over winter. IOW,
it's just as easy to kill 110Ah batteries as it is 85Ah batteries...

Old June 24th 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Peter & Andrea

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:07:08 +0100, ":Jerry:"
wrote:

"Peter & Andrea" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Many thanks for your comments.
I have now ordered a pair of 100Ar AGM batteries, which can even be
mounted on thier side.
These can be safely discharged by 70%, but have a very low discharge
when not on load. Therefore I will diconnect them when we are in
Australia for a couple of months.

Peter
Old June 2nd 09, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nick Potter

Also a great selection of batteries can be found at the following site, a
big selection of sizes.

http://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/sto...atteries.shtml

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/13151491.aspx