'Motorhome Only' Spaces Petition

« - | - »

Old June 21st 07, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

Default 'Motorhome Only' Spaces Petition

The Prime Minister's Office has responded thus :

"Thank you for your petition suggesting that the Government should
require Local Authorities to allocate 'motorhome only' spaces in local
authority car parks.

It is for local authorities and individual traffic authorities, to
decide on the allocation of spaces to particular classes of road user
in their car parks. They have to do this in light of the many
competing demands for such space, and the requirements of the local
population. This judgement of the right balance is rightly a matter
for local authorities who are much better placed than central
Government to make the relevant assessments. The Government, however,
encourages local authorities to consider the views of their local
communities. Information on how parking is managed is available on the
DfT website (new window).

At the moment, the Government has no plans to change this arrangement,
and it would in fact require primary legislation to force local
authorities to provide off-street spaces for motorhomes. It is,
however, already possible (but not mandatory) for traffic authorities
to reserve on-street spaces for motorised caravan or caravans drawn by
motor vehicles where there is a local demand for this and where
appropriate space is available.

With regards to height restrictions at local authority off-street car
parks, height barriers are used to prevent unsuitable vehicles, such
as heavy goods vehicles using car parks. Whilst the Government cannot
comment on the merits of individual councils' polices, we believe that
local authorities are acting within their legal powers to erect such
barriers. It is possible that councils may be prepared to review their
policy on these barriers following representation from local
communities."

Didn't expect much else, did we ?

-- jjj
Old June 22nd 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

Didn't expect much else, did we ?

-- jjj

No, exactly what I expected.

I know we have this www.motorhomeparking.co.uk and that someone tried to do
something similar, but wasn't enough contributions, we just need good
information on where you can actually park. Below is what I found on our
latest trip out and about incase it may of be of use to anyone else.

Barton On Sea, the car park at the southern end of the sea front has spaces
you can get into.

Woolacombe, the two car parks in the centre can handle 6m or possible more
in the one towards Marine Drive on your left.

Torbay, Paignton. Torbay Leisure Centre car park nr. Goodrinton Sands has
quite a few spaces suitable.

Sidmouth, follow the car park signs towards Exeter side, around 10 spaces
suitable.

Ringwood, Dorset, large spaces available only at weekends and bank holidays
at main shoppers car park.

Lymington, New Forest follow the signs for the marina's, towards the back of
the marina car park there are some large spaces.

Burley, New Forest ignore the car and coach park sign, you won't get in as
there is a hight barrier and father down the road a 6'6" width limit,
instead head out on the Brokenhurst road, at the top of the hill (approx
200/300 yards) opposite the cricket pitch is a Forest car park, free and
loads of space.

Old June 22nd 07, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Peter Amey

Josiah Jenkins wrote:
The Prime Minister's Office has responded thus :

"Thank you for your petition suggesting that the Government should
require Local Authorities to allocate 'motorhome only' spaces in local
authority car parks.....

I haven't signed because my van fits comfortably in a standard car bay -
it is smaller than most up-market 4x4s. What I do find frustrating is
being banned from some car parks despite this. The tax disc says
"private light goods" just like any car, it is smaler than many cars but
I've still been evicted for the crime of "being a camper van".

Peter

--
www.amey.org.uk
Old June 22nd 07, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

Didn't expect much else, did we ?

-- jjj

No, exactly what I expected.

I know we have this www.motorhomeparking.co.uk and that someone tried to
do something similar, but wasn't enough contributions, we just need good
information on where you can actually park. Below is what I found on our
latest trip out and about incase it may of be of use to anyone else.

snip

Following up my own post, I sent the information to Graham at the above site
and he has added it to the site straight away, if we all do this the site
could be very useful.

Andy

« - | - »