6 metre motor homes

Old July 1st 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Susie

Default 6 metre motor homes

We have decided to buy a motor home to explore the West Coast of
Scotland, which is where we live. We are wondering if it is practicable
to drive a 6 metre motor home along Scottish country lanes. We were
thinking that 5.5 metre motor homes would be the longest sensible.
Originally we looked at 5 metres or thereabouts, but decided that we
need more storage etc, as we plan on staying away for a couple of weeks
at a time.

There is a great deal of difference in storage and living space between
the 5.5 and 6 metre vehicles. A 15 seater Ford minibus is 5680mm and
they get everywhere. Are we being over cautious in trying to stick to
the 5.50 metre and less vehicles? The maximum vehicle length we can
have for home parking is 6 metres.

Thanks for your help

Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!
Old July 1st 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Susie,

Susie schrieb:

We were thinking that 5.5 metre motor homes would be the
longest sensible.

our motor home is 8 metre long. On several tours throughout Great
Brittan we never got stuck... ;-)

Roland
(Austria)

Old July 1st 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Susie" wrote in message
[...]

Depends just what lanes you want to drive down, and how often you're going
to use the really narrow ones.

My current van (as was my previous) is approaching 7 metres plus bike rack
(and slightly wider than many).

I have no problems with the (remaining) single track roads in Scotland, but
wouldn't attempt some of the *very* minor roads. What this means is that you
can tour very easily, but maybe not get down the very last drop to say a
beach or somewhere.

We don't find this at all restricting, since we walk and cycle to get access
to such places.

So, North Coast round from Wick to Durness, Fort William to Mallaig, Cock
Bridge to Tomintoul for instance, hold no problems. Gairloch out to Redpoint
no issue, and neither is driving round Ardnamurchan.

Certainly, extra length will have a few downsides (more difficult to park,
but hey, if you can't get a 5.5 metre van parked, odds are you won't a 6
metre one either, and sometimes the turning circles at the end of Scottish
dead-ends will be challenging).

IMO, width/height are a greater limiting factor in such circumstances,
combined with your own confidence and familiarity in the vehicle. They look
big, but you quite quickly get used to it.

You will be able to go anywhere that delivery lorries etc. go, but you might
be a little more fussy about the vegetation scratching the side of the
'van' - polycarbonate windows in particular are prone to twigs and branches.
In reality, cars will give way to you on single track roads, 'cos its the
line of least resistance.

Only you can assess your ideal balance, since motorhome are almost always a
compromise.

If you want to tour and have a base from which you can walk/cycle, consider
the space and comfort as a priority (and get some externally accessed
storage for all the wet gear ;-) )

If you don't walk or cycle, and want to drive around in the day every day,
you may find this slightly too restrictive, and choose to limit the size.

HTH

Bob
-
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old July 2nd 07, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"Susie" wrote in message
[...]

As others have said, plus my personal findings.

We have a 6m Hymer, don't really find the length to be a problem as even
though its 6m the wheelbase is just under 5m so it turns well etc. the
biggest problem with the narrow lanes is the width as we are 7'5" wide.

Old July 3rd 07, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Susie

In message , Campa-Man
writes
We have a 6m Hymer, don't really find the length to be a problem as even
though its 6m the wheelbase is just under 5m so it turns well etc. the
biggest problem with the narrow lanes is the width as we are 7'5" wide.

I think we've decided that something just around 5.5m is going to be the
answer. After spending ages (too long!) googling for motor homes of all
shapes and sizes, at the moment Autocruise seems the most likely -
especially the Starfire or Valentine. Has anybody got one of these and
how do they get on with it? Thanks for all your help so far.

Susie