Fiat Ducat0 2.8 starting

« - | - »

Old July 6th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Peter & Andrea

Default Fiat Ducat0 2.8 starting

Hi,
I have Fiat Ducato panel van motorhome, 2004, 2.8 engine

Can anyone tell me if it should start on the first turn of the key?

I switch on, wait for the glow plug light to go out, then turn the
key.
The engine turns over at a good speed but the engine doed not start.
I switch off and repeat the procedure and the engine will fire up
normally.

If I stop for a short period, say getting fuel, the engine will start
first turn of the key.

I seem to remember that it did start first time before it's first
service. (Fiat Main dealer). The service was in December and I did not
use the van for several months, so not 100% sure how it started when I
first got it.

It sound to me as if the fuel system has to be primed every time I
start the engine. Is this correct or do I have a fault on the fuel
system or fuel pump.

The van is out of warranty in 5 months, so if there is a problem I
want it sorted.

Thanks for reading this.
Peter
Old July 6th 07, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Peter & Andrea" wrote in message
[...]

Mine starts instantly and the glow plug light is only on for a very short
time (less than one second).

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 6th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

[...]

Peter:

We've never had a problem with our 2.8 JTD - starts first time every time -
now nearly five years old.

Nigel.

Old July 6th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dudley Simons

Peter & Andrea wrote:
[...]

You may have lost one or more of the glow plugs or they just aren't up
to much. First thing in the morning so the engine is nice and cold, try
turning key until light goes out then flick ignition off and back on
quickly, when light goes out a second time turn key to start. If it
fires up quicker than is normal (for a cold morning) its most likely a
duff glow plug. Come winter it could be a pig to start.

What could be happening at the moment is that the extra unburnt diesel
in the cylinder further increases the compression and thats what
actually starts the engine rather than the glow plug. It is sometimes
possible to get a finger onto the body of the glow plug and feel a
slight change in tempreture as the core heats up but to test them
properly you need to remove them which is not usually difficult (no idea
about Fiat 2.8 specifically)but it is often fiddly.

regards

Dudley
Old July 6th 07, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Anthony Eccles[_2_]

[...]

I have a 3 year old fiat on 20,000 miles and it has always started hot or
cold first turn of the key,sounds as if you have an air bleed problem in the
fuel feed or as the previous writer says get the glow plugs sorted,if its
still under warranty get them to do a diagnostic check
Tony

Old July 10th 07, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Brooky

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:33:31 +0100, Peter & Andrea
wrote:

[...]

Have you read the manual CAREFULLY for starting procedure.
Dont know about the 2.8, but many other modern diesels use a computer
to time the injection, except when starting, so diesel pump timing is
important for starting if not running. If its common rail ignore the
above! Get it sorted whilst in warranty!
All our 1.9 JTDs start very prompt on the button without waiting for
glowplug (they are direct injection).
Good lucK
Dave
Old July 10th 07, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, [OP] "I switch on, wait for the glow plug light to go out, then
turn the key." [/OP], if it had no glow plugs why would it have a glow
plug warning light, of course it's possible that the warning light is
for something else and it's true meaning is being mistaken (air bag
perhaps?).

Taking the OP on face value I would suggest that either one or more
glow plugs have (partially) failed and or the control relay is
failing - quite common on some makes.

If it is direct injection I agree with you, the OP should get down to
the dealer ASAP and make sure it's dealt with under warranty as the
cost of a new ECU might well be an unpleasant surprise if that is
what's out of sorts...

« - | - »