help from Italy

Old July 10th 07, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
pope

Default help from Italy

Hi people

I would like to go to visit some of most important cities of England
(London, Manchester, Liverpool) and Scotland (Glasgow and
Edinburg) next august with my motorhome 7 mt lenght

My problem is to know if, in addition to normal camping sites, there are in
UK
some areas only allowed for campers parking and overnight, as we easily can
find in France, Germany or Italy, paying the due fee
I should need also a link where a list of these places is shown

Many tks for your help and excuse me for bad english

Paul

Old July 10th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DavidM

pope wrote, On 10/07/2007 16:38:
Hi people

I would like to go to visit some of most important cities of England
(London, Manchester, Liverpool) and Scotland (Glasgow and
Edinburg) next august with my motorhome 7 mt lenght

My problem is to know if, in addition to normal camping sites, there are in
UK
some areas only allowed for campers parking and overnight, as we easily can
find in France, Germany or Italy, paying the due fee
I should need also a link where a list of these places is shown

Many tks for your help and excuse me for bad english

Unfortunately not, we do not provide motorcaravan only facilities. In
the UK you have a choice of either fully equipped camp-sites, or
'certified locations' (CLs) which are usually fields in the countryside.

The CLs sometimes have basic toilet facilities and cost much less than
camp-sites, but can take no more than 5 vehicles. Most CLs are nothing
more than a spare farm field, in wet weather they can become
motorcaravan traps.

You would need to join one of the big UK camping/caravaning clubs to use
CLs, or stay on camp-sties at a slightly discounted rate.

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Old July 12th 07, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
pope

"DavidM" ha scritto nel messaggio
pope wrote, On 10/07/2007 16:38:
[...]

Many tks for your answer, I understand that UK is prohibited
for city-tours by camper because all cmp-sites are located
too far from the center of the cities
In London, for example, the nearest is the Lee Valley Campsite
(Chingford) about 23 km to Piccadilly Circus, that means
about 45 minutes of bus

I will take some days to think about situation

best rgds

Old July 12th 07, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

snip

Many tks for your answer, I understand that UK is prohibited
for city-tours by camper because all cmp-sites are located
too far from the center of the cities
In London, for example, the nearest is the Lee Valley Campsite
(Chingford) about 23 km to Piccadilly Circus, that means
about 45 minutes of bus

I will take some days to think about situation

best rgds

I wouldn't give up!

The UK has many interesting places to visit other than the cities.

However, if that's what you wish to do, I would not recommend taking a 7
metre van into any of the city centres you have mentioned.

It is easy to visit London, Edinburgh and Manchester from Caravan Club sites
(www.caravanclub.co.uk).

Abbey Wood (London) site easy to reach from channel ferries, and good for
Central London (bus or train). Ticket can include all travel in London for a
day at good price.

Edinburgh site has easy access to city by bus from site entrance. Bus ticket
gives all-day travel.

Both these sites are very good quality - if not cheap, and personally
recommended.

Burrs Country Park site is good for Manchester (by tram), but there are
alternatives.

If you need any more advice post again.

Bob

Old July 12th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jim Kewley

In message , Bob Douglas
writes
snip

Many tks for your answer, I understand that UK is prohibited
for city-tours by camper because all cmp-sites are located
too far from the center of the cities
In London, for example, the nearest is the Lee Valley Campsite
(Chingford) about 23 km to Piccadilly Circus, that means
about 45 minutes of bus

I will take some days to think about situation

best rgds

I wouldn't give up!

The UK has many interesting places to visit other than the cities.

However, if that's what you wish to do, I would not recommend taking a 7
metre van into any of the city centres you have mentioned.

It is easy to visit London, Edinburgh and Manchester from Caravan Club sites
(www.caravanclub.co.uk).

It's also very easy to visit Liverpool from the Southport Caravan Club
site. Southport Station is less than 10 minutes walk away, from the
station there's an excellent train service right into Liverpool centre.
The Caravan Club site at Wirral Country Park is also very convenient for
Liverpool and highly recommended, we always use it when in the
Merseyside area.

--

Jim
Old July 12th 07, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robert Peffers.

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
snip

[...]

There is a Municipal Caravan Site at Marine Drive, actually within
Edinburgh, and there may still be one at Little France in the city, (don't
know if it still exists). Furthermore, there are several sites in
surrounding areas with good public transport links to the city centre.
--

Robert Peffers,
Kelty,

Old July 13th 07, 03:35 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Robert Peffers." wrote in message

snip

There is a Municipal Caravan Site at Marine Drive, actually within
Edinburgh, and there may still be one at Little France in the city, (don't
know if it still exists). Furthermore, there are several sites in
surrounding areas with good public transport links to the city centre.
--

The site on Marine Drive and the Caravan Club site are one and the same.

Owned by the City Council, run by the Caravan Club.

Bob

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old July 13th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Neil McD.

"Robert Peffers." wrote in message
snip

Edinburgh, and there may still be one at Little France in the city, (don't
know if it still exists). Robert Peffers,
Kelty,
Fife,
Scotland, (UK).

No longer exists - now the site of the new Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Mortonhall site is within Edinburgh (south, near the A720 city bypass), also
Slatebarns (Roslin, on the A6094) and Newtongrange (cannot remember name, on
the A7) outside Edinburgh on the south side have bus services and Drum Mhor
(Wallyford, to the east on the A1) has bus and train service into town.
I have never stayed on any of these sites so cannot comment on them - they
are my local ones.
--
Neil McD.

Old July 13th 07, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robert Peffers.

"Neil McD." wrote in message
news
"Robert Peffers." wrote in message
snip

Edinburgh, and there may still be one at Little France in the city,
(don't know if it still exists). Robert Peffers,
Kelty,
Fife,
Scotland, (UK).

No longer exists - now the site of the new Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Mortonhall site is within Edinburgh (south, near the A720 city bypass),
also Slatebarns (Roslin, on the A6094) and Newtongrange (cannot remember
name, on the A7) outside Edinburgh on the south side have bus services
and Drum Mhor (Wallyford, to the east on the A1) has bus and train service
into town.
I have never stayed on any of these sites so cannot comment on them - they
are my local ones.
--
Neil McD.

Most folks would opt for something like Seaton Sands or other sites down the
coast that have good public transport links into the city.
--

Robert Peffers,
Kelty,

Old July 14th 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
pope

"Bob Douglas" ha scritto nel messaggio

Many tks for your answer, I understand that UK is prohibited
for city-tours by camper because all cmp-sites are located
too far from the center of the cities
In London, for example, the nearest is the Lee Valley Campsite
(Chingford) about 23 km to Piccadilly Circus, that means
about 45 minutes of bus

I will take some days to think about situation

best rgds

I wouldn't give up!

The UK has many interesting places to visit other than the cities.

Yes, I know, but at the moment I'm interested in visiting
the cities - I think it would be very difficult ti find elsewhere
churches museums or historical buildings

However, if that's what you wish to do, I would not recommend taking a 7
metre van into any of the city centres you have mentioned.
It is easy to visit London, Edinburgh and Manchester from Caravan Club
sites (www.caravanclub.co.uk).

Abbey Wood (London) site easy to reach from channel ferries, and good for
Central London (bus or train). Ticket can include all travel in London for
a day at good price.

Edinburgh site has easy access to city by bus from site entrance. Bus
ticket gives all-day travel.

Both these sites are very good quality - if not cheap, and personally
recommended.

Burrs Country Park site is good for Manchester (by tram), but there are
alternatives.

If you need any more advice post again.

Bob

ok many tks