Getting bogged down - remedies please?

« - | - »

Old July 18th 07, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Smith

Default Getting bogged down - remedies please?

I have only taken my front wheel drive motorhome out around 5 times and
managed to get bogged down twice now. We prefer to go to
caravan/motorhome rallies in fields or CS/CL's as opposed to commercial
sites so realise that this may be a bit of an occupational hazard.

I know that some of you more experienced motorhomers will be able to
suggest tips that you have picked up whilst some of you will be able to
suggest some not so polite tips (lol) but what the heck if you don't ask
you don't learn!

To date I've armed myself with rubber door mats, sand ladders for 4x4's
(but not too succesful) and orange plastic mesh netting used around
roadworks which have limited value. I was told to consider all terrain
tyres as used on 4x4's but the tyre fitter told me they do not have
reinforced sidewalls for coachbuilt motorhomes.

I am considering buying snow chains (16mm are supposed to be best for
motorhomes as opposed to 9mm) so has anybody found these useful?

Thank you

Dave
Old July 18th 07, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Been stuck myself plenty of times as well, here's some ideas.
1. If the site's on a slope don't use a pitch at the bottom, pick one at the
top.
2. Take a couple of lengths of 4x2 about 1ft long and when you stop put the
back wheels on them. The biggest prob in getting moving in the first place
is that the back wheels have usually sunk into the ground and have to be
pulled out.
3. Get a winch, manual or electric, and carry plenty of rope. If all that's
happened is the wheels have sunk a bit you can pull it a few ft first.
Alternatively, if you've got a very long rope, someone with a car on a dryer
part of the field may try to pull you from a distance.
4. Best option, before you park somewhere soggy look for another
camper/caravanner with a 4x4 on the site. Ask him when he's leaving and if
he's still going to be there when you leave would he pull you out if you get
stuck. Buy him a couple of bottles of beer on the first night and you've
got a guaranteed tug. 4x4 owners are desperate to show the capabilities of
their vehicles at every opportunity so if there's more than one on the site
don't bother with the beer, they'll be queueing up to pull you out.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 18th 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen messages posted elsewhere that suggest the plastic bottom of
breadcrates are excellent for this, the type that the bakers deliver into
the shops and supermarkets in, you just have to cut the sides of and use the
plastic base which is an open weave pattern.

Old July 18th 07, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DavidM

Campa-Man wrote, On 18/07/2007 11:30:
I have seen messages posted elsewhere that suggest the plastic bottom of
breadcrates are excellent for this, the type that the bakers deliver into
the shops and supermarkets in, you just have to cut the sides of and use the
plastic base which is an open weave pattern.

Something similar to that is used for offroading as an alternative to
sand ladders. They are called Waffle Boards, and made from glass
reinforced plastic. Very strong and spread load very well, so would work
well if left under a motorhome overnight.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290036684492

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Old July 18th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"Andy R" wrote in
:

4x4 owners are desperate to show the capabilities of their vehicles at
every opportunity so if there's more than one on the site don't bother
with the beer, they'll be queueing up to pull you out.

Oh dear! we 4x4 owners have been rumbled! Truth is that most 4x4
enthusiasts are only too happy to help if they can. We've had enough
experience down the odd "green lane" or on "pay and play" sites where other
drivers have hauled us out of the cack (sorry, helped our recovery). Also,
a yellow diamond or other club insignia in the windscreen is usually a sign
of a friendly, helpful 4x4 owner.

However, there's a lot that you can do yourself with a few, simple tools. A
hand winch, a towrope, a pair of waffle boards, a "tree strop", and a
couple of very large tentpegs (to act as a ground anchor) will often be
enough to recover your pride and joy - and you should be able to get all
that for under fifty quid. Of course, you will need someone to steer and
brake while you winch, and it wouldn't hurt to have a practice or two ahead
of needing to use the gear for real.

Good luck and HTH!

--
Geoff
Old July 18th 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
hugh

In message , Dave Smith
writes
[...]

I found a few twigs under the front wheels to work quite well. I also
carry a tow rope. You can pick them up quite cheaply at any 4x4 show.
Just get one of suitable strength for your size of vehicle.
--
hugh
Old July 19th 07, 02:26 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robert Peffers.

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

You can get Snow Belts rather than Snow Chains, these have treads on them
rather like the all-terrain tyres, but the cheapest solution is to carry
those couple of bits of wood and also carry a lump of old carpet, (they make
good car boot liners or locker bottom liners).

When you want to move off chuck a couple of bits of carpet under the driven
wheels to provide a bit of extra grip. Also put the vehicle into a higher
gear than first and be very gentle on the clutch. If you spin the wheels too
much you will just dig in and fill the treads of your tyres with mud.
--

Robert Peffers,
Kelty,

--

Robert Peffers,
Kelty,

Old August 17th 07, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Zozzer

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Dave,
I've only been motorhoming 12months but I was advised last winter when we
had spot of sinking in that when parking up on grass, dry or wet, always put
anti-slip matts under the drive wheels. Should the van sink in overnight
that
matts will help prevent digging in. Once saw another van parked up with
each wheel on a three foot long plank of wood.

--
Zozzer

Old August 27th 07, 03:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robert Peffers.

"Zozzer" wrote in message
k...

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Stick a bit of old spare carpet in the van somewhere. It gives good traction
under wheels.
--

Robert Peffers,
Kelty,