Prime Minister - pre-screening of video website material

Old July 31st 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Vister.co.uk

Default Prime Minister - pre-screening of video website material

Petition the Prime Minister to cause pre-screening of video material
intended for websites.

Violent videos involving children are being posted on the internet without
being properly screened by the video websites, instead the websites rely on
visitors to the sites to report inappropriate material.

Footage showing children punching and kicking other youngsters are regularly
uploaded on to popular video-sharing websites.

Technically it can be illegal to upload violent footage on to the internet
but no one has been prosecuted so date.

The petition calls for a law requiring website owners to carry out
pre-screening of video material to prevent material such as violence amongst
youngsters from being posted.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Childvideos/

Old July 31st 07, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher Is Not A National Treasure

"Vister.co.uk" wrote in message
Petition the Prime Minister to cause pre-screening of video material
intended for websites.

Violent videos involving children are being posted on the internet without
being properly screened by the video websites, instead the websites rely
on
visitors to the sites to report inappropriate material.

Footage showing children punching and kicking other youngsters are
regularly
uploaded on to popular video-sharing websites.

Technically it can be illegal to upload violent footage on to the internet
but no one has been prosecuted so date.

The petition calls for a law requiring website owners to carry out
pre-screening of video material to prevent material such as violence
amongst
youngsters from being posted.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Childvideos/

Regards

I certainly agree with the sentiment - but asking the Government to take
action seem a bit futile, since it is the Government who are helping to
support these sites.

Example - a popular site (which I won't name because I don't want to give
the sewer any more publicity) features violent footage from war zones - and,
on several occasions, has had material submitted by the Ministry of Defence.

The same site also features 'happy slap' videos, and footage of violent gang
attacks on teenagers.

It's a matter of opinion whether these things are an expression of vibrant
multi-culturalism, or irrefutable evidence that the UK has been transformed
into a cesspit by uncontrolled immigration - but a Government that helps
enhance the popularity of a web site would be extremely hypocritical to
censor its content.

Old July 31st 07, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roger Mills

Vister.co.uk wrote:

Petition the Prime Minister to cause pre-screening of video material
intended for websites.

Violent videos involving children are being posted on the internet
without being properly screened by the video websites, instead the
websites rely on visitors to the sites to report inappropriate
material.

Footage showing children punching and kicking other youngsters are
regularly uploaded on to popular video-sharing websites.

Technically it can be illegal to upload violent footage on to the
internet but no one has been prosecuted so date.

The petition calls for a law requiring website owners to carry out
pre-screening of video material to prevent material such as violence
amongst youngsters from being posted.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Childvideos/

Regards

A worthy objective - but what do you expect the UK government, in isolation,
to do about it? This, surely, is a world-wide problem.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old July 31st 07, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Steve Walker

In message , Vister.co.uk
writes
Petition the Prime Minister to cause pre-screening of video material
intended for websites.

1. This is off-topic for every one of the five groups you've posted it
to.

2. It would be physically impossible for sites like youtube to vet every
video posted. The overhead would kill them off.

3. If I want to share a video, I want it available immediately, not
after some censor has approved it.

4. The UK government has no power or mandate to censor the Internet.

5. The Internet is for grown-ups. If people want to censor what their
kids use the Internet for, they should accept their parental
responsibility and do it themselves. It's not hard to do, and if they
are too thick or lazy to do that they need to either accept the
consequences or get off the net.

6. Sites like YouTube have community mechanisms for reporting
inappropriate content. Perhaps rather than whining, people who have a
problem could spend their own spare time trawling through it looking for
content to report.

--
Steve Walker
Old July 31st 07, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
snip

[ re http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Childvideos/ ]

A worthy objective - but what do you expect the UK government, in
isolation, to do about it? This, surely, is a world-wide problem.

It's also impossible to police as suggested (even if it was
technically possible to 'pre-screen' all submitted videos), unless one
is also going to stop people from within the UK accessing
international web sites, never mind the fact that any such law will
not stop the making or distribution of such 'images' - such as on
Usenet.

Old July 31st 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Cap

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:51:13 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

In message , Vister.co.uk
writes
Petition the Prime Minister to cause pre-screening of video material
intended for websites.

1. This is off-topic for every one of the five groups you've posted it
to.

Important though
2. It would be physically impossible for sites like youtube to vet every
video posted. The overhead would kill them off.

So how do we regulate child-pornography?.
3. If I want to share a video, I want it available immediately, not
after some censor has approved it.

Simple selfishness.
4. The UK government has no power or mandate to censor the Internet.

So let's give it one.
5. The Internet is for grown-ups. If people want to censor what their
kids use the Internet for, they should accept their parental
responsibility and do it themselves. It's not hard to do, and if they
are too thick or lazy to do that they need to either accept the
consequences or get off the net.

Absolute naive rubbish. Individual parents can never ensure their kids will not
see unsuitable material. It needs to be a collective responsiblity. It's called
living in a society !
6. Sites like YouTube have community mechanisms for reporting
inappropriate content. Perhaps rather than whining, people who have a
problem could spend their own spare time trawling through it looking for
content to report.

Leaving morality to media managers, driven purely by the need for profit is
insane.
Andy
Old July 31st 07, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher

"Andy Cap" wrote in message

Individual parents can never ensure their kids will not
see unsuitable material. It needs to be a collective responsiblity. It's
called
living in a society !

So I should determine what your kids watch?

It's bad enough having to send kids to school :-(

6. Sites like YouTube have community mechanisms for reporting
inappropriate content. Perhaps rather than whining, people who have a
problem could spend their own spare time trawling through it looking for
content to report.

Leaving morality to media managers, driven purely by the need for profit
is
insane.

So is leaving it to 'society'. Is that your society or mine?

Mary

Old July 31st 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Cap

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:36:03 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
.. .

Individual parents can never ensure their kids will not
see unsuitable material. It needs to be a collective responsiblity. It's
called
living in a society !

So I should determine what your kids watch?
It's bad enough having to send kids to school :-(

It's called the law and every society has lived by law because it's the only
way. I agree that too much law is made by the few but I have great faith in the
majority to come up with a sensible answer to most problems. Sadly a recent
survey suggests that 75% of people think government don't listen. :-(

6. Sites like YouTube have community mechanisms for reporting
inappropriate content. Perhaps rather than whining, people who have a
problem could spend their own spare time trawling through it looking for
content to report.

Leaving morality to media managers, driven purely by the need for profit
is
insane.

So is leaving it to 'society'. Is that your society or mine?

It's ours. We all have to make compromises for the benefit of all. If you like,
we're all traveling the same road and that requires rules. Simple as that.

It's also why multi-culturalism wont work, because you can't have different
segments of a society following different rules even if they choose to believe
in different things.

Andy

Old July 31st 07, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:36:03 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It's also why 'democracy' is a myth because you can't have different
segments of a society, who believe in different things (e.g. you and me, him
and her etc.), making rules. If two people disagree about what's right and
wrong what chance is there for millions?

For instance, some believe our laws should be changed to allow wider
caravans, others don't. Some believe speed limits should be changed, others
don't.

We're individuals - for the moment.

Mary

Old July 31st 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.classic,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Cap

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:56:19 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

It's also why 'democracy' is a myth because you can't have different
segments of a society, who believe in different things (e.g. you and me, him
and her etc.), making rules. If two people disagree about what's right and
wrong what chance is there for millions?

For instance, some believe our laws should be changed to allow wider
caravans, others don't. Some believe speed limits should be changed, others
don't.

Democracy doesn't say that we can all have what we want, just the the majority
will set the rules. Only those living in glorious isolation can't understand
this or those being deliberately obtuse.

We're individuals - for the moment.

Indeed, but we have to live in the same world unfortunately.

Andy