Replacing engine - Talbot Express

Old October 4th 07, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
WolfWilf

Default Replacing engine - Talbot Express

Good morning all,

I have been offered a rather nice 1989 Talbot Express camper van. It's a
2.0l petrol and I'm wondering about the practicalities and potential costs
in replacing that power unit - and presumably the gearbox as well - with a
diesel unit for longevity and economy. Does anyone have any thoughts about
this? Thinking on, I would assume that the suspension would need upgrading
as well.

Diesel vans are worth so much more than petrol versions that I would like to
think this conversion might be cost effective.

Any views welcome.

WolfWilf
Cardiff, UK

Old October 4th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"WolfWilf" wrote in message
Good morning all,

I have been offered a rather nice 1989 Talbot Express camper van.
It's a 2.0l petrol and I'm wondering about the practicalities and
potential costs in replacing that power unit - and presumably the
gearbox as well - with a diesel unit for longevity and economy.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thinking on, I would
assume that the suspension would need upgrading as well.

Diesel vans are worth so much more than petrol versions that I would
like to think this conversion might be cost effective.

On top of what you have already noted;

First, check the body shells (try and find the part numbers from a
friendly main-dealer), if they have different numbers there will
likely be differences to the structure, be that engine/gearbox mounts
to structural strengthening - meaning a lot more work, if possible at
all.

Second, you're likely to need at least a different 'main loom' (due to
connections, engine ancillaries being different), this isn't a great
problem in the cost of parts but if you're paying someone then labour
could be. Oh, and you might also need to change part of dashboard.

Third, the fuel system layout is completely different, you might have
to change the fuel tank even if you can modify the rest to fit.

Fourth, you're insurance might cost more as the vehicle will have to
be declared as modified to DVLA, you might even need to get the
conversion inspected before they will issue the vehicle with an MOT
(and possibly revised registration docs).

It's not beyond the realms of possibility but it might not save you
much, unless you can do all the work yourself, over buying a factory
version.

Old October 4th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gary G Jones[_2_]

"WolfWilf" wrote in message
Good morning all,

I have been offered a rather nice 1989 Talbot Express camper van. It's a
2.0l petrol and I'm wondering about the practicalities and potential costs
in replacing that power unit - and presumably the gearbox as well - with a
diesel unit for longevity and economy. Does anyone have any thoughts
about this? Thinking on, I would assume that the suspension would need
upgrading as well.

Diesel vans are worth so much more than petrol versions that I would like
to think this conversion might be cost effective.

Any views welcome.

WolfWilf
Cardiff, UK

I have a 1990 Talbot Express 2.0L petrol the autoquest 270, so it the small
one of the bunch, The engines I have found to be brilliant, I had the same
engine in a 505 estate as well 130,000 miles no problems at all, as long as
its serviced regularly then they seem to run really well, admittedly my
camper only has 48000 miles on the clock but does not miss a beat. I have
just driven a round trip to Cornwall and back , just over 860 miles in total
and it ran spot on, Most of the route there and back was via motorway so I
kept the speed to 60mph as much as I could and it gave me 26mpg which I
thought was pretty good really. One advantage with petrol is that it runs
nice and quiet in the cab. No clatter like old diesel engines. (Although I
must admit if I could I would like to try a modern diesel engine from my 406
hdi into the camper to see how it ran.)
Going by the cost of converting it to diesel I would not bother , spend
the money on using it and enjoying yourself travelling around instead as
long as the petrol engines got life left in it.
I don't think there is that much in it really, when it comes to the re-sale
value of the petrol compared to the diesel engine vans at this age, petrol
is also 3p a ltr less than diesel at the pumps as well.
So I would say that the difference is not enough that you would recuperate
the cost of the conversion anyway.

GGJ

Old October 4th 07, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"WolfWilf" wrote in message
Good morning all,

I have been offered a rather nice 1989 Talbot Express camper van. It's a
2.0l petrol and I'm wondering about the practicalities and potential costs
in replacing that power unit - and presumably the gearbox as well - with a
diesel unit for longevity and economy. Does anyone have any thoughts
about this? Thinking on, I would assume that the suspension would need
upgrading as well.

Diesel vans are worth so much more than petrol versions that I would like
to think this conversion might be cost effective.

Any views welcome.

WolfWilf
Cardiff, UK

Also be aware that initiatives such as the London LEZ (Low Emission Zone -
soon to be visiting a location near you) are making older campers with
diesel engines considerably less attractive than petrol (which are exempt),
and I think any such conversion is of questionable value.

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old October 5th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
WolfWilf

Thank you all for your detailed and useful advice. I think I will put the
prospective conversion into my "brilliant but useless ideas" file.

I am quite light on the throttle and fuel consumption of 25mpg+ is quite
acceptable, and Gary Jones makes a good point about the noise factor.

This will be my first camper van since the Fiat Amigo I had in the late 70's
as a young man! I took that to the South of France and cooked the brakes
going over the mountains on the way back. All four wheel cylinders popped,
fortunately at a point where I could bring the thing to a halt through the
gears...but enough of that.

Old October 5th 07, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"WolfWilf" wrote in message
snip

This will be my first camper van since the Fiat Amigo I had in the
late 70's as a young man! I took that to the South of France and
cooked the brakes going over the mountains on the way back. All
four wheel cylinders popped, fortunately at a point where I could
bring the thing to a halt through the gears...but enough of that.

Oh the joys of drum brakes.... not! :~(