oil change

Old October 15th 07, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dutchman

Default oil change

I want to change my oil in my Fiat ducatto 2.8 2003. Has anyone any advise
? Can you get to the drain plug without lifting etc. I will use fully
synthetic 5-40 diesel oil. Thanks D................

Old October 16th 07, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Dutchman" wrote in message
I want to change my oil in my Fiat ducatto 2.8 2003. Has anyone any advise
? Can you get to the drain plug without lifting etc. I will use fully
synthetic 5-40 diesel oil. Thanks D................

1) Make sure you can get a replacement sump bung washer before you undo the
old one (they're bigger than most cars)
2) Lifting the front up a few inches makes life much easier, I use the same
yellow plastic ramps I use for levelling it on site
3) Don't waste your money on fully synthetic oil, this generation of engine
wasn't designed for it. Whatever you use it'll still need changing at the
recommended intervals because of contamination by the products of
combustion, not because of degradation by extreme pressures/temperatures.
4) Use manufacturer's replacement oil filters, not pattern parts.

Rgds

Andy R

Old October 16th 07, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
:Jerry:

"Andy R" wrote in message

snip
3) Don't waste your money on fully synthetic oil, this generation of
engine wasn't designed for it. Whatever you use it'll still need
changing at the recommended intervals because of contamination by
the products of combustion, not because of degradation by extreme
pressures/temperatures.

It's also wasted if such oil hasn't been used from the outset, cross
contamination of oil types will reduce any advantage of using fully
synthetic oil.

4) Use manufacturer's replacement oil filters, not pattern parts.

Not 100 percent true, as long as one uses a reorganised brand (Fram or
Crossland) there will be no difference in performance as many OE
filters are made by the same companies. If in any doubt about what is
being offered though, use manufacturer's replacement oil filters, an
OE filter might be more expencive but a replacement engine is even
more so...