Swift Royale 5.9 tyre pressures?

Old November 30th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Smith

Default Swift Royale 5.9 tyre pressures?

Hi does anybody have any details as to what the correct tyre pressure
should be for a Swift Royale 5.9m (mine is a 1996 model).

I have contacted Swift who referred me to a Fiat dealer. i have checked
my Fiat handbook and label on the door and it states 5 bar (apx. 73
psi)but a tyre dealer thought this was too excessive.
Regards
Dave
Old November 30th 07, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
hugh

In message , Dave Smith
writes
Hi does anybody have any details as to what the correct tyre pressure
should be for a Swift Royale 5.9m (mine is a 1996 model).

I have contacted Swift who referred me to a Fiat dealer. i have
checked my Fiat handbook and label on the door and it states 5 bar
(apx. 73 psi)but a tyre dealer thought this was too excessive.
Regards
Dave

The tyres themselves will have max pressure on the side wall. Check that
to ensure it is not being exceeded.
--
hugh
Old November 30th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi Dave,

Dave Smith schrieb:

Hi does anybody have any details as to what the correct tyre
pressure should be for a Swift Royale 5.9m (mine is a 1996 model).

The only way to find the correct value ist to contact your _tyre_
manufacturer!

Most of them offer some kind of "pressure calculator" or an e-mail
service on their home page.

All you have to know is the exact name of your tyre model and the
actual axle weights.

but a tyre dealer thought this was too excessive.

Well, a tyre dealer should know...
He only have to read thr tyre manufactureres specs...
The best example is the Michelin XC Camping. You have to use this tyre
at about 0.5 bar above a "normal" tyre (usually at 5 bar). Neither the
cars manufacturer nor the motorhome manufacturer can forsee, that you
will use exactly this tyre. So, what should he mention an a very
generic pressure table?

But anyhow, make sure to use metall valves instead of rubber valves!
Rubber valves can't resist the required pressure!

Roland
(Austria)

Old December 1st 07, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Hi does anybody have any details as to what the correct tyre pressure
should be for a Swift Royale 5.9m (mine is a 1996 model).

I have contacted Swift who referred me to a Fiat dealer. i have checked
my Fiat handbook and label on the door and it states 5 bar (apx. 73
psi)but a tyre dealer thought this was too excessive.

Just use the Ducato published figures cos that's what it is, IIRC mine is 5
bar. As for asking a tyre fitter, I think I'd rather ask the cat.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 1st 07, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

"Roland Messerschmidt" wrote in message
Hi Dave,

Dave Smith schrieb:

[...]

I would concur with Roland. Next time you are going out in the van and it
is laden with what you would normally take on holiday (including the family)
take your van to the local council/trading standards weighbridge and make a
note of the weights for the front and rear axle.

Then contact your tyre manufactures and advise them of your tyre size and
the axle weights and they will get back to you with what is recommended.

When I contacted both Michelin and Continental by e mail (we have run our
van on both), both manufacturers replied with pressures significantly less
than those give in either the Hymer manual or the Fiat base manual (I think
that these tend to give the *maximum* allowable pressure to be on the safe
side).

The result has been a softer, more comfortable ride with better handling -
the van is much less bouncy and skittish.

Hope that this helps.

Nigel.

Old July 21st 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gary

The Michelin product quoted is able to run at the following axle
loads/pressures, when fitted to a 'single fitment' axle (one tyre only each
end of axle):

215/75 R 16C 113Q 'XC Camping'

Axle weight Pressure
(Kgs) (psi)

Quoted wts: 1500 44 Front, Plated
Quoted wts: 1500 44 Rear, Plated
Quoted wts: 1500 44 Tag, Plated

+10% front below minimum:
Normally, we would suggest an increase of the front tyre pressure by 10%
above the final calculated 'static' value, to help the front axle tyres cope
more easily with the weight transfer forward under braking (providing the
maximum pressure, 80 psi, is not exceeded). The static axle weight provided
is so low, however, that the minimum pressure level should be considered as
having this 10% already included.

Final recommended pressures:

Front: 44 psi
Rear: 44 psi
Tag: 44 psi

Plated axle weights:
Have you verified that each axle weight for your vehicle is actually being
run at or below these quoted 'plated' weights, by visiting a local
weighbridge?

* The above pressure values are only recommended for the axle weights stated
above.

We suggest that individual axle weights from weighscale readings are used,
in order to calculate pressure recommendations for each quoted load
condition. These would be preferred, due to readings being taken in the
actual vehicle 'running' condition - that is to say, with all
water/fuel/baggage & passengers etc. onboard - and may result in better
comfort if the vehicle is running way below maximum capacity.

The results of roadside surveys indicate that some motorhomes have been
found to be overladen, especially the rear axle, with potential for
subsequent tyre related problems.

The overall tyre industry, therefore, tries to build-in a safety factor by
fitting specific, strong 'motorhome' tyres, inflated to high pressure, in
order to remove the potential for consequences of overloading &/or
under-inflating the tyres.

One 'overall' weight is of no use in calculating tyre inflation pressure
levels, since the vehicle may appear to be within the maximum permitted, but
in reality may have the rear axle severely overladen & the front axle very
lightly laden.

Thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely,
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/13151686.aspx