The Baltic Coast of Poland.

Old December 17th 07, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave[_9_]

Default The Baltic Coast of Poland.

I posted this yesterday to uk.rec.caravanning as I do tow a small caravan

but afterwards thought that somebody here may have wandered east and

might be able to advise, so here goes :-

Last year we went east beyond Berlin to the border with Poland and cycled
into Poland and the Czech Republic. This has given us the urge to go
further next spring and I have been looking at the northern coast of Poland.
We want to have a look at Peenemunde in Germany where the rocket that got
our house in 1944 came from but after that venturing into Poland to perhaps
Gdansk and Elblag. There seem to be plenty of campsites.
Many reports I have seen say that the roads in Poland are awful and I am
thinking of the poor caravan. Car and motorhome suspensions can cope with
bad roads but I think a caravan would soon be damaged if towed on rutted or
potholed surfaces.
Has anybody here any recent experience of the roads across northern Poland?
Regards and a merry Xmas to one and all.
Dave

Old December 17th 07, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AJK

On Dec 17, 9:39 am, "Dave" wrote:
I posted this yesterday to uk.rec.caravanning as I do tow a small caravan

but afterwards thought that somebody here may have wandered east and

might be able to advise, so here goes :-

We spent 20 days in Poland this summer with our brand new campervan,
including a week on the Baltic coast so I feel qualified to comment on
the state of the roads.

In the South we encountered truly dreadful roads - a rutted 40km of
dual carriageway that tested our vans build quality and our fillings.
But the North was much better and there is a helluva lot of road
building going on. The road from Stettin to Miedesdrowoje was
excellent as were most of the through routes. Some of the quieter
roads were surfaced OK but quite narrow and windy; the Poles seem to
be reckless drivers, at least by UK standards.

I have no hesitation in recommending you go for it. Campsites are
variable - strongly recommend one in Leba (if interested get back to
me and I'll confirm it's name ). The dunes on the Baltic coast are
tremendous and Gdansk is well worth a visit - just don't be put off by
the air of dereliction surrounding the inner majesty.

Anthony

Old December 17th 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave[_9_]

"AJK" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 9:39 am, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Thank you for that Anthony. I shall check the maps later for Stettin,
Miedesdrowoje and Leba. If you got as far as Gdansk then you were in the
area we were thinking of. As far as Poland and the Baltic are concerned you
are certainly the most qualified I have found on the newsgroups but last
year we met a couple at Emsworth in Hampshire whilst walking around the
harbour. They told us they had been to Poland with a campervan. Was it you
?

Regards.
Dave.

Old December 18th 07, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AJK

Hi Dave,

it wasn't us you met. UK chuggers/tuggers are quite rare in Poland
though - we only saw and met one other couple as we travelled up from
Jelena Gora in the South up to the Baltic coast. Lots of Germans
though. Often German was the second language of Poles, particularly
the older ones; the younger Poles did have some English, though not as
much as we are used to in other parts of Europe.

Regards

Anthony