Gas refill gadget any good?

Old December 17th 07, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Postie

Default Gas refill gadget any good?

Hi
What do you think of this? Its for refilling your LPG bottle at Garage LPG
pumps. There is a system that you can fit to caravans, I know, But A, its
expensive and B, you have to take the caravan to a garage every time you
need Gas!

I've done some sums and I think that at the price on calors web site for a
6Kg Propane this has paid for its self in 5 refills! LPG is 52p a litre
[1.04 a Kg] Calor charge you over 1.20 a litre. [if my sums are correct!]

a bit of a faf at petrol stations perhaps? any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lpg-Propane-bo...QQcmdZViewItem

--
Postie
I raise money for charity just by searching the web!

www.everyclick.com is an internet search engine with a big difference - it
donates half its revenues to charity, please support them too!

Old December 18th 07, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

Default Gas refill gadget any good? - NO, NO, NO.

"postie" postie-at-madasafish-dot-com wrote in message
[...]

Do not try to refill a standard Calor or any other brand bottle with this,
you have know way of guaranteeing that you have only filled to 80%, the
result could be 4ft high flames inside your van.

Proper refillable bottles and fixed tanks have systems and valves so you can
ONLY fill to 80%

Old December 18th 07, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

[...]

I'd carry one for emergency use if I was touring abroad for a long time and
couldn't afford a fixed tank. Provided you wait until the bottle is empty
before refilling it's not hard to work out how many litres is 80%

It does break the terms of the rental agreement from calor though.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 18th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Andy R" wrote in
:

I'd carry one for emergency use if I was touring abroad for a long
time and couldn't afford a fixed tank. Provided you wait until the
bottle is empty before refilling it's not hard to work out how many
litres is 80%

It does break the terms of the rental agreement from calor though.

It might work abroad, but I supsect that filling stations in this country
would throw a hissy-fit if they caught you refilling a Calor et al.
cylinder with one of those devices. It's bad enough getting them to let
you refill a stand-alone Gaslow cylinder (which is designed to be user-
refillable) because of the FUD that Calor et al. have spread. Here's the
text of an LPGA release I found from a quick search of the 'net:

"It is our advice that user owned, portable LPG cylinders should not be
refilled at autogas refuelling sites. It is our view that UK Health and
Safety law, particularly the new Dangerous Substances and Explosive
Atmospheres Regulations (DSEAR) and the Transportable Pressure Vessels
Regulations, impose significant duties on the site operator to ensure
safety. Autogas filling points are places of work and their personnel
have responsibility for safety to everyone on the site, including the
general public. They authorise the flow of gas from the dispenser and
they may be considered, in law, the filler. Safe filling of LPG cylinders
requires appropriate expertise and/or equipment. Staff at autogas filling
points cannot fulfil statutory obligations as they have neither. Were
there to be any accident the site operator could be liable to
prosecution. Tanks which are permanently attached to a vehicle for
heating or cooking (on camper vans or similar) come under the Road
Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations and present similar risks on
filling to those for propulsion purposes and may be permitted to be re-
filled at autogas refuelling sites."

But see http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/archive.shtml (search the page for
"LPGA" to find the article about halfway down). IMO it smacks of Calor
trying to protect their market share more than anything, but AFAICT it
seems that the LPGA claim it unlawful to permit use of the sort of device
the OP cited.

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old December 18th 07, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin[_4_]

I do my barbeque bottle like this - cheaper than swapping it.

The LPG place has an adaptor.

However it is more expensive than the local bigger places for autogas so I
put only a tenner in the car

Old December 18th 07, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:38:32 -0000, "Martin" wrote:

I do my barbeque bottle like this - cheaper than swapping it.

The LPG place has an adaptor.

However it is more expensive than the local bigger places for autogas so I
put only a tenner in the car

He He - it's not the filling place next to a military surplus shop is
it?

Neil

Old December 18th 07, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:43:55 -0000, "postie"
postie-at-madasafish-dot-com wrote:

Hi
What do you think of this? Its for refilling your LPG bottle at Garage LPG
pumps. There is a system that you can fit to caravans, I know, But A, its
expensive and B, you have to take the caravan to a garage every time you
need Gas!

I've done some sums and I think that at the price on calors web site for a
6Kg Propane this has paid for its self in 5 refills! LPG is 52p a litre
[1.04 a Kg] Calor charge you over 1.20 a litre. [if my sums are correct!]

a bit of a faf at petrol stations perhaps? any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lpg-Propane-bo...QQcmdZViewItem

Hi

This adapter has been assembled from parts readily obtainable from the
company which supplied my see-through refillable bottles several years
ago. And I might add that the total price of the bits is LESS than
the price of that eBay item!

I use it regularly to fill them up with Autogas and have saved a lot
on the gas!

If you want further info, it can be provided.

Neil

Old December 19th 07, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Neil" wrote in message

This adapter has been assembled from parts readily obtainable from the
company which supplied my see-through refillable bottles several years
ago. And I might add that the total price of the bits is LESS than
the price of that eBay item!

I use it regularly to fill them up with Autogas and have saved a lot
on the gas!

If you want further info, it can be provided.

Can you provide it to me, please, Neil?

By mail if you prefer,

Mary

Old December 19th 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Postie

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Neil" wrote in message

This adapter has been assembled from parts readily obtainable from the
company which supplied my see-through refillable bottles several years
ago. And I might add that the total price of the bits is LESS than
the price of that eBay item!

I use it regularly to fill them up with Autogas and have saved a lot
on the gas!

If you want further info, it can be provided.

Can you provide it to me, please, Neil?

By mail if you prefer,

Mary

Hi,
to all of you and thank you for the prompt informative replies. I would like
more info please Neil. By mail if you wish, it is fairly obvious what to do.
I apologise if this ends up as a top post but I have not had a lot of
experience with replying to newsgroups.

Regards,

Postie

Old December 19th 07, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

The *problem* is not the adaptor or if it's legal, the problem is how you do
not fill above 80 % with this thing, trust me if you do will regret it.

My old Westie had a fixed tank which had the valve to stop the over filling
and a guage that you could watch while filling, with this adaptor you are
trusting the pump meter and your own reactions.