astra diesel towcar

« Christmas | Ferries »

Old December 24th 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
howie

Default astra diesel towcar

Hi,good wishs to you all.
as previously mentioned we intend to change the car early this coming
year.We have a 1600 - 8 valve petrol astra 2001 and intended to upgrade it
anyway.Two things ive noticed is a lack of power on hills and the drinking
of petrol as we tow the van(1100 kgs).Otherwise im quite pleased with it.
Due to the size of the garage im not sure a bigger car will fit ,so i was
going to stick with the astra but move up to the newer 1.9 diesel a/for more
power and b/the economy.
Having started to look around i now realize there are 2 types of 1.9 the 120
bhp and the 150 bhp,i believe the 120 is 8 valve and the 150 is 16 valve,i
have also found you can buy bolt-on boxes that allegedly boost the power
up.So which is the better option ?
The other thing that i noticed is the difference in cost from the petrol
version,ie 1000+ pound more,as our general none 'vanning mileage is not
massive about 7K a year how do i determine the overall saving of a diesel
against say a 1800 16 valve petrol astra or is it not as simple as that ?
any thoughts anyone
howie

Old December 24th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , howie
writes
[...]

Simple Work out our fuel cost for petrol and diesel based on your
estimated annual mileage and the comparative mpg for the two variants.
Then multiply potential savings by estimated number of years of
ownership and compare with additional cost of buying diesel. Finally
estimate respective resale values and adjust accordingly.
If you put it all in a spreadsheet you will be able to play around with
the variables and see the outcome.

Then go and buy the diesel.
--
hugh
Old December 26th 07, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
howie

Simple Work out our fuel cost for petrol and diesel based on your
estimated annual mileage and the comparative mpg for the two variants.
Then multiply potential savings by estimated number of years of ownership
and compare with additional cost of buying diesel. Finally estimate
respective resale values and adjust accordingly.
If you put it all in a spreadsheet you will be able to play around with
the variables and see the outcome.

Then go and buy the diesel.
--
hugh

seems straight forward enough,thank you for the reply ;0)
Howie

« Christmas | Ferries »