Putting up an awning

Old December 26th 07, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sam Farrell[_2_]

Default Putting up an awning

We are thinking of getting a caravan next year but hear terrible stories of
people struggling to put up an awning. Is there a website or some such where
I can get an idea what putting up an awning involves

Sam

Old December 26th 07, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Sam Farrell
writes
We are thinking of getting a caravan next year but hear terrible stories of
people struggling to put up an awning. Is there a website or some such where
I can get an idea what putting up an awning involves

Sam

If you have a dealer nearby they will probably have awnings on display
and you will see how they are assembled.
--
hugh
Old December 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous[_2_]

"Sam Farrell" wrote in message
We are thinking of getting a caravan next year but hear terrible stories
of people struggling to put up an awning. Is there a website or some such
where I can get an idea what putting up an awning involves

Have you ever put up a tent? It's no more difficult than putting up many of
them.

Do you need an awning at all? My parents have given up on their one in the
last couple of years, which was a good deal for us as I swapped his awning
with bedroom extension for an unused porch awning I had.

We found it very useful for a largish family as we often ate in it and could
use it as storage for wellies, jackets, tables etc. If we only had one or
two nights we sometimes didn't bother though.

Just to give a cautionary tale on awnings. We bought a 5 month old caravan
at a substantial discount to the new price. The people we bought it from
claimed they had never slept in it and from the look of it that was probably
true. They were demonstrating the awning and explained how they had put it
up in the garden and colour-coded all the poles. At that point he went into
the house and she commented, which we found strange at the time:- "He has a
terrible temper you know."

So we loaded up set-off and pitched for the night on the way home. We were
struggling to put up the awning and an elderly gentleman from a motorhome
came over to help. He was there about two minutes when he dropped a pole and
bang, made an obvious ding on the skin of our new caravan. Two minutes later
he did the same again.

I was in one of those situations where your words are saying one thing and
your body language the complete opposite. Verbally I was still thanking him
profusely for his help. My body language was screaming -if you so much as
look at my caravan again I'm going to throttle you. Fortunately his wife
must have seen me swell and she called him in for his tea.

Well it took us about an hour and a half, but we eventually realised all
their markings and coloured circles on the poles were wrong. We came to the
conclusion the previous owners had had such a falling out trying to set-up
the awning in their own garden that they had never used the caravan and then
had sold it unused.

It worked for us though we got a caravan at a huge saving and we got putting
up the awning down to about 20 minutes with the children helping and no
further damage to the skin of the caravan.

Neb

Old December 26th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Sam Farrell" wrote in message
We are thinking of getting a caravan next year but hear terrible stories
of people struggling to put up an awning. Is there a website or some such
where I can get an idea what putting up an awning involves

It's a PITA.

In well over a decade of caravanning I could count on one hand the number of
times I put up an awning, and even then it was only for stays of a week or
more.

If you're going to put up an awning for every trip you may as well get a
folding camper. It's much more stable to tow, far more economical to tow and
easier to store.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 26th 07, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Sam Farrell wrote:

We are thinking of getting a caravan next year but hear terrible
stories of people struggling to put up an awning. Is there a website
or some such where I can get an idea what putting up an awning
involves
Sam

It's similar in a way to erecting a frame tent - except that you attach the
canvas to the caravan *first* and then assemble the frame under it.

The most difficult part - in my experience - is attaching the awning to the
caravan, particularly a full length one rather than a porch awning. There is
an awning channel on one side of the caravan, which goes (more or less)
vertically up the back edge, horizontally along the top and then follows the
slope of the front edge down to the bottom. There is beading all along the
edge of the awning, which has to be fed into one end of the channel and
pulled all the way through. That's the real fun bit!

I did see some awnings at the NEC show a few years ago which were much
easier to erect - and also much more expensive. I don't know whether they
ever caught on. On those, the beading was attached to a strip of canvas
which was only a few inches wide - with a zip on the other side. The strip
was much easier to handle when sliding the bead into the channel and, once
in, the rest of the awning simply zipped onto it. I have a feeling that it
also had spring-loaded glass fibre poles attached to the canvas, so that the
whole thing almost erected itself.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 26th 07, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:31:41 GMT, "Sam Farrell"
wrote:

We are thinking of getting a caravan next year but hear terrible stories of
people struggling to put up an awning. Is there a website or some such where
I can get an idea what putting up an awning involves

Sam

The first thing I do is to put in the draught skirt and peg it down
and then comes the hardest hardest job of pulling the awning through
the rail, it is easiest if one person feeds it into the rail and the
other person pulls it through the rail. Once this is done I find it
easiest to lay the poles out in the approximate position that they
will go so that I have three piles one at each end and one in the
middle all pointing towards the van and then the front rails lying
parallel to the caravan at about the right distance from the van, it
takes only seconds to do this and makes life much easier. I then check
that the distance from the ground to the front and rear zips is the
same height ( it just happens that I should just be able to walk under
this zip and the zip brush my hair, but something equally rough and
ready will do ) Then starting in the middle, attach the centre roof
pole to the pad on the caravan and extend the pole so that it is about
the right length and then rest it on the floor, then put the front
centre pole into the awning and extend it to the correct height, then
join the centre roof pole to the centre front pole and tighten it so
that you get a reasonably square looking centre. I then put a couple
of pegs into the bottom of the centre pole ( this prevents the awning
from trying to fly away ). Now start at one end and do the front and
roof poles in the same order, now put the pole in between the centre
pole and the end you have constructed and tighten the poles, then go
to the other end and complete the process. Now before you put any more
pegs in make sure that the awning looks square and the the roof is
nicely tensioned by increasing the pressure from the poles.
Now peg the awning into place, start at either the front corner next
to the caravan or the rear corner, then move out to the outer corner
and pull the awning tight so the the end wall is at the right angle
from the van and that it looks tight with no wrinkles. Now go to the
other end and do the same. At this point it may be necessary to remove
the pegs that you put in earlier because they are probably not in the
right place. Now peg the awning all the way around. Then I go inside
and make sure that every pole is extended as far as I can possibly
make it go ( I use a hercules extender to do this, worth every penny )
Put the groundsheet down, and the loungers in place and demand a brew
from the supervisor.
It sounds complicated but if the end it is easy, and I always do it
one handed, and nly rarely do I have any problem and those are always
caused by too much wind. It takes me something like 45 mins from
starting to sitting down with a brew.
Bill Lord

Old December 27th 07, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Sam Farrell wrote:

[...]

The only awning I'd consider now is one of the wind-out ones like you have
on a motor home. Most of the time all you need on a short stay is a shelter
from sun/rain or somewhere out of the rain to take off boots etc. These
will do the job adequately and take less than 10 econds to extend/retract.
For the odd longer trip you can get zip in sides and ends to make it like a
'normal' awning. Even then it has the advantage of protecting you from the
rain as soon s it's extended while you zip the sides on.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 27th 07, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

Isabella post their instructions on their website, and downloadable as a
..PDF file - well worth a look. Start with a basic one - eg. the CapriLux.

Old December 27th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley

In message , TTT
writes
Isabella post their instructions on their website, and downloadable as a
.PDF file - well worth a look. Start with a basic one - eg. the CapriLux.

Agreed, our Isabella is a doddle to put up, I leave it all to the wife
to supervise and just do as I'm told. Easy peasy.
--

Jim
Old December 27th 07, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:22:42 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:
The most difficult part - in my experience - is attaching the awning to the
caravan, particularly a full length one rather than a porch awning. There is
an awning channel on one side of the caravan, which goes (more or less)
vertically up the back edge, horizontally along the top and then follows the
slope of the front edge down to the bottom. There is beading all along the
edge of the awning, which has to be fed into one end of the channel and
pulled all the way through. That's the real fun bit!

What makes the pull through harder is how much other canvas is
attached to the roof. The front of my third awning zipped in after
the roof was done, so I had the end walls made the same by adding
zips.

This left us with just the roof to pull through into the awning rail,
and if the weather is fine I stop at that and wait until rain or wind
looks likely before adding an end or front. This reduces the work to
be done in the initial stage to about half an hour as it only needs a
peg and a guy to the foot and head of each of the three poles.

Less work than a porch awning and almost as effective.

However I do agree that I would not put an awning up for less than 5
or 6 days, and that is despite having the space to bundle a sopping
wet awning into the front box and dry it thoroughly when back home.

That is the other big downside of an awning if it is raining when you
have to pack up.