ALKO

Old January 1st 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

Default ALKO

Hi.
Happy new year to all.

Can anyone advise.

Recently changed towing vehicle which is already
fitted with towbar and ball (normal type).

There are several inches clearance between towball and bodywork
of car,more than enough space to take the 1300kg hitch.

My caravan has a AL-KO 1300kg stabilizer fitted and
as you know the section where the towball goes in is
larger than a normal steel towing hitch and it is possible to
fowl car bodywork with normal ball//towbar.

The AL-KO towball has a longer neck on it to push the
ball further from the car to accommodate the larger AK-KO
hitch head and avoid fowling bodywork.

**BUT** is that the only reason for fitting a AL-KO towball ???
or does the AL-KO 1300 kg hitch*** have to be*** married with
a AL-KO towball ?.

Both are 50mm//both are the same height side by side and
the only difference I can see is the longer neck.

I'd rather not fit an AL-KO ball unless necessary.

Anyone know for sure.
Barry

..

Old January 1st 08, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

ForeverArsenal wrote:
[...]

It's basically a clearance issue to allow for 25 degree roll
articulation, pitch articulation and operating handle clearance.

See he
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/su...Proddata32.doc

or for something more specific to your hitch (but less helpful otherwise):
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/su...ckHandbook.pdf

If you can meet Al-ko's conditions without their ball, fine. Those
limits are very generous for those operating normal cars on the road -
but I didn't say that!

Old January 1st 08, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

ForeverArsenal wrote:
Hi.
Happy new year to all.

Can anyone advise.

Recently changed towing vehicle which is already
fitted with towbar and ball (normal type).

"Dougal" wrote in message
. uk...

It's basically a clearance issue to allow for 25 degree roll articulation,
pitch articulation and operating handle clearance.

Hi Dougal.
Many thanks for that,just what I needed.

Best wishes for happy/healthy new year.

Barry

Old January 2nd 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TonyM

As Dougal has said, it is a clearance issue.

It would be quite acceptable to use the Alko couplings on a swan-neck towbar
or a detachable (subject to towbar manufacturers recommendations) but there
is an issue with pitch on a standard towball. Certainly in the case of the
heavier Alko stabilizers, there are times when the front of the coupling
strikes part of the towball.

Imagine a situation going over speed bumps for instance. At some point, the
back of the car and the front of the caravan will drop significantly. It is
possible for the coupling to try and lever itself off the ball. Clearly,
this not desirable!

Best advice is, with a flange ball towbar, to use the dedicated Alko
towball.

--
Kind Regards

Tony Maris
BROOKSIDE STORAGE
Chesterfield.

www.brooksidecaravanstorage.co.uk

CaSSOA Gold Award

Old January 2nd 08, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brute Force

"TonyM" wrote in message
[...]

It's also worth pointing out that insurers might quibble (that's a polite
euphemism for 'sod off, we're not paying out') if, in the event of an
accident, it was discovered that the OP was not using the Alko recommended
tow ball.

Insurance companies are getting increasingly clued-up about such things -
after all, we now live in an age where one of the first things their claims
investigators do is connect a laptop to the damaged vehicle to ascertain
whether it has been 'chipped'. If the CPU *has* been modified, and they
have not been so advised, it's 'bye,'bye claim.

The Alko balls are over-priced and they rust like mad. I wanted to fit an
elctro-plated alternative, but decided to stick with the Alko version just
in case insurers got restive.

Old January 2nd 08, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , ForeverArsenal
writes
ForeverArsenal wrote:
Hi.
Happy new year to all.

Can anyone advise.

Recently changed towing vehicle which is already
fitted with towbar and ball (normal type).

"Dougal" wrote in message
.uk...

It's basically a clearance issue to allow for 25 degree roll articulation,
pitch articulation and operating handle clearance.

Hi Dougal.
Many thanks for that,just what I needed.

Best wishes for happy/healthy new year.

Barry

If you retain your existing ball make sure you thoroughly degrease it
before using your Alko hitch.
--
hugh
Old January 2nd 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Brute Force
writes

"TonyM" wrote in message
[...]

That's because it is a performance enhancement.
The Alko balls are over-priced and they rust like mad. I wanted to fit an
elctro-plated alternative, but decided to stick with the Alko version just
in case insurers got restive.

If in doubt just drop a line to your insurer - but the towball would
have to be material to the accident to refuse a payment.

Of course if you buy your insurance on price alone then you must expect
them to try to cut their costs at every opportunity.
--
hugh
Old January 2nd 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brute Force

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Brute Force
writes

"TonyM" wrote in message
[...]

Well. that's told me, eh?

I think I need to make an appointment to see a Psychiatrist - I was insane
enough to think that it would be possible to start the new year on ukrc
without some silly argumentative **** stirring the pot for yet another flame
war.

As always, I failed to take your perverse nature into account.

Old January 2nd 08, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Brute Force
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Brute Force
writes

Toys out the pram already.
--
hugh
Old January 2nd 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brute Force[_2_]

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Brute Force
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Brute Force
writes

"TonyM" wrote in message
[...]

Nope - just a bit annoyed that you've waded in with more querulous bollox,
so early in the new year.

I was (and, in fact, still am) hoping to see this group return to its
former usefulness - and, to that end, I have taken the (for me) *highly*
unusual step of killing your posts.

You can bask in a certain amount of glory for that achievement - not even
Mary 'there's-nothing-that-I-don't-know-about-everything' Fisher made it to
a killfile.

Of course, one useful thing about consigning you to the pit is that I'm free
to tell you so - happy in the knowledge that you will be aware that your
fulminating response will be quite in vain, as you know I'll never see it

'Bye Hughie.

('per.....lonk', as they say)