Regulators/adapters for propane

Old January 4th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Default Regulators/adapters for propane

Just bought one of Machine Mart's (Clarke) 'Little Devil' fan-assisted
propane heaters for my garage/workshop - and boy, does it chuck out some
heat!

I have two sources of propane at my disposal - a couple of red propane
bottles (6Kg) intended for caravan use, and a larger (13Kg) bottle of 'patio
gas' acquired with a patio heater which SWMBO insisted on buying a couple of
years ago, and which has been used only once - so the bottle is almost full.

I had hoped to be able to use both sources with the Little Devil, as I have
regulators with both type of fitting and assumed that I would be able to
swap the Little Devil's pipe from one to the other. But no - for a start the
pressure is quite different. Caravans and patio heaters run at 37 mBar
whereas the Little Devil runs at 0.3 Bar (300 mBar). In addition, its rubber
hose has swaged threaded connections both ends rather than simply pushing
onto the regulator's fluted outlet pipe.

The regulator supplied with the Little Devil has the usual left-hand
threaded propane inlet connection, which fits the caravan bottles without a
problem. But I don't have a way of using the patio gas bottle - which uses a
(27mm cylindrical) quick-fit connection similar to the 21mm jobby on many
caravan butane bottles. Any ideas for solving this? It seems to me that I
would need either an adapter with a 27mm input and an output female
left-hand thread to take a conventional propane regulator, or a 'high
pressure' regulator which would fit directly onto the patio gas bottle and
which has a threaded outlet to take the Little Devil's pipe. Does either
exist and, if so, where can I find it? Any alternative ideas?

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 5th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

I believe the adaptor you describe is available - try the gaslow website?

Old January 5th 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I think you will be lucky to find something that will directly adapt
your cylinder-mounted regulator to a 27mm clip on connector.

Your best course may be a new high pressure regulator mounted on a 27mm
clip on base, then provide a new hose direct to the heater.

Have a look he
http://www.rotarex.com/
Search the database for 'snap tight regulator'

They do the standard 27mm 28/30 mbar clip on regulators but state that
other pressures are possible.
http://www.rotarex.com/srg/547.pdf

There is also an adjustable one
http://www.rotarex.com/srg/557.pdf

Both of these have barbed outlets which may require some further adaptation.

They have a huge range. It would be easiest to speak to them directly:

Rotarex s.a. - UK Office
17 Dagden Road
GU4 8DD, Shalford, Guildford, Surrey
United Kingdom
tel *44 1483 304 800, fax *44 1483 304 810 , mobile-phone + 44 ( 0 ) 777
55 234 91

ROTAREX UK Ltd
24 Fivefield Road
CV7 8JE, Coventry
United Kingdom
tel *44 24 76 33 19 44, fax *44 24 76 33 19 44 , mobile-phone mobile:
*44 7711 16 53 60

Alternatively try the websites of blow torch manufacturers selling in
countries where 27 mm clip on cylinder connections are used.
Old January 6th 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

TTT wrote:

I believe the adaptor you describe is available - try the gaslow
website?

Thanks for the suggestion. They certainly have a 27mm clip-on adapter which
might do the trick, but their website doesn't say what its outlet connection
is. I have emailed them for clarification.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 6th 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Dougal wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
It seems to me that I would need either an adapter
with a 27mm input and an output female left-hand thread to take a
conventional propane regulator, or a 'high pressure' regulator which
would fit directly onto the patio gas bottle and which has a
threaded outlet to take the Little Devil's pipe. Does either exist
and, if so, where can I find it? Any alternative ideas? TIA.

I think you will be lucky to find something that will directly adapt
your cylinder-mounted regulator to a 27mm clip on connector.

Your best course may be a new high pressure regulator mounted on a
27mm clip on base, then provide a new hose direct to the heater.

Have a look he
http://www.rotarex.com/
Search the database for 'snap tight regulator'

Thanks for that link. Someone else has suggested that Gaslow may do an
adapter - and I've found one on their site which may be ok, but will contact
Rotarex if the Gaslow one won't do.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 6th 08, 11:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Roger Mills wrote:
Dougal wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

I think you'll find that Gaslow don't have anything along the lines that
you need. There is a 27 mm clip on adaptor to take a hose to a
remote-mounted regulator: that's no good to you.
Old January 6th 08, 03:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
TTT wrote:

I believe the adaptor you describe is available - try the gaslow
website?

Thanks for the suggestion. They certainly have a 27mm clip-on adapter
which might do the trick, but their website doesn't say what its outlet
connection is. I have emailed them for clarification.

Before you spend anymore cash have you considered what all that water vapor
is doing to your stuff?
Propane heaters are a poor way to heat anything other than a greenhouse
unless its got a proper flu.
Those space heaters really are not suitable for a workshop although they may
be OK on a building site.

Old January 6th 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Dougal wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

Dougal wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Here's another possibility:
http://www.cavagna.co.uk/

The parent company is Italian
http://www.reca.net/default.asp?Div_code=Reca&IDL=4
and has Kosangas, Reca and Oara brands of clip-on regulators. I couldn't
find any hard technical info. on their sites.
http://151.1.209.147/Reca/sh_doc.asp?ID=20869