Buying a motorhome/camper

Old January 7th 08, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Jerry[_4_]

Default Buying a motorhome/camper

Morning campers.

I am interested in buying a camper around 10,000 or less. I think I
would prefer a Ford based diesel camper for reliability and servicing
costs etc. 2 to 4 berth and preferably a camper and not just a van
type (Duetto)

Touring UK/Europe

Not too worried about LHD/RHD will this affect insurance etc much?
What is the maximum weight I should be looking for so that it is still
treated as a PLG?

I presume this will get me something 1992 onwards. What should I be
looking out for, and more important what should IU avoid?
What's the cheapest running costs/servicing van?
Thank you all in anticipation. Happy 2008.
Old January 7th 08, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Jerry" wrote in message
Morning campers.

I am interested in buying a camper around 10,000 or less. I think I
would prefer a Ford based diesel camper for reliability and servicing
costs etc. 2 to 4 berth and preferably a camper and not just a van
type (Duetto)

Touring UK/Europe

Not too worried about LHD/RHD will this affect insurance etc much?
What is the maximum weight I should be looking for so that it is still
treated as a PLG?

I presume this will get me something 1992 onwards. What should I be
looking out for, and more important what should IU avoid?
What's the cheapest running costs/servicing van?
Thank you all in anticipation. Happy 2008.

Most 'normal' size campers are under 3.5t which is where various different
regs come in.

To get something worth having that doesn't leak like a sieve for 10K you
need to go German. Take a look at www.mobile.de

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 7th 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Jerry[_4_]

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:39:50 -0000, "Andy R"
wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .
Morning campers.

I am interested in buying a camper around 10,000 or less. I think I
would prefer a Ford based diesel camper for reliability and servicing
costs etc. 2 to 4 berth and preferably a camper and not just a van
type (Duetto)

Touring UK/Europe

Not too worried about LHD/RHD will this affect insurance etc much?
What is the maximum weight I should be looking for so that it is still
treated as a PLG?

I presume this will get me something 1992 onwards. What should I be
looking out for, and more important what should IU avoid?
What's the cheapest running costs/servicing van?
Thank you all in anticipation. Happy 2008.

Most 'normal' size campers are under 3.5t which is where various different
regs come in.

Should the log book state PLG?

To get something worth having that doesn't leak like a sieve for 10K you
need to go German. Take a look at www.mobile.de

Damn, you mean the campers are as bad as the caravans for leaking?

If I bought one for say 8k in Germany and drove it home, what would
it cost to get it UK legal?

www.mobile.de all looks double Dutch to me :-(

need to go German. Take a look at www.mobile.de

Damn, you mean the campers are as bad as the caravans for leaking?

If I bought one for say 8k in Germany and drove it home, what would
it cost to get it UK legal?

www.mobile.de all looks double Dutch to me :-(

I see it now. Lots of choice and some funnly looking buggers too ))
Old January 7th 08, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Jerry wrote in
news
Most 'normal' size campers are under 3.5t which is where various
different regs come in.

Should the log book state PLG?

Just a thought, but unless you passed your driving test after 1996 or are
over 70 years old and haven't renewed your C1 etc. "grandfather's
rights" categories, you might be better off with something larger. You
want to tour Europe, so I suspect the bigger living space of something
over the 3.5 tonne PLG limit might be welcome. Also, the VED is lower for
a "private goods vehicle" (165 vs 180 for a 2000 or earlier PLG).

To get something worth having that doesn't leak like a sieve for 10K
you need to go German. Take a look at www.mobile.de

Damn, you mean the campers are as bad as the caravans for leaking?

If I bought one for say 8k in Germany and drove it home, what would
it cost to get it UK legal?

Very little. Motorhomes don't need to undergo SVA, so I suspect you'd
just need to change the headlights and foglights and get it through MOT.

However, you need to get the procedure for buying a motorhome and legally
exporting it from Germany very clear before you go ahead. You'll need to
buy German insurance and obtain export plates to get the vehicle to a
channel port. That insurance will be minimal.
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/germany.shtml is one account of someone who
imported from Germany that can give you some insight. However,
http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/importing.htm goes into this in a little
more depth.

www.mobile.de all looks double Dutch to me :-(

At the top right of the page is a drop-down list with "Sprache" in it.
From that, select English and most of the site is translated for you.

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old January 7th 08, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Jerry[_4_]

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:17:27 -0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Jerry wrote in
news
Most 'normal' size campers are under 3.5t which is where various
different regs come in.

Should the log book state PLG?

Just a thought, but unless you passed your driving test after 1996 or are
over 70 years old and haven't renewed your C1 etc. "grandfather's
rights" categories, you might be better off with something larger. You
want to tour Europe, so I suspect the bigger living space of something
over the 3.5 tonne PLG limit might be welcome. Also, the VED is lower for
a "private goods vehicle" (165 vs 180 for a 2000 or earlier PLG).

Good point but I think I'd prefer something that drove more like a car
than a bus. Then there are the parking problems when out and about,
and also the parking problems on the street at home.

To get something worth having that doesn't leak like a sieve for 10K
you need to go German. Take a look at www.mobile.de

Damn, you mean the campers are as bad as the caravans for leaking?

If I bought one for say 8k in Germany and drove it home, what would
it cost to get it UK legal?

Very little. Motorhomes don't need to undergo SVA,

What would you class as little. I'm looking for something of the
Autosleeper style with the over cab bunk.

so I suspect you'd
just need to change the headlights and foglights and get it through MOT.

However, you need to get the procedure for buying a motorhome and legally
exporting it from Germany very clear before you go ahead. You'll need to
buy German insurance and obtain export plates to get the vehicle to a
channel port. That insurance will be minimal.
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/germany.shtml is one account of someone who
imported from Germany that can give you some insight. However,
http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/importing.htm goes into this in a little
more depth.

Thank you.

www.mobile.de all looks double Dutch to me :-(

At the top right of the page is a drop-down list with "Sprache" in it.
From that, select English and most of the site is translated for you.

Found it thanks.
Old January 7th 08, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Jerry" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:17:27 -0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Jerry wrote in
news
Most 'normal' size campers are under 3.5t which is where various
different regs come in.

Should the log book state PLG?

Just a thought, but unless you passed your driving test after 1996 or are
over 70 years old and haven't renewed your C1 etc. "grandfather's
rights" categories, you might be better off with something larger. You
want to tour Europe, so I suspect the bigger living space of something
over the 3.5 tonne PLG limit might be welcome. Also, the VED is lower for
a "private goods vehicle" (165 vs 180 for a 2000 or earlier PLG).

Good point but I think I'd prefer something that drove more like a car
than a bus.

None of them drive like a car, particularly older ones. Even before you put
any personal effects inside most are already only a few hundred kilos off
max weight, the centre of gravity is higher than a car, the performance is
snail like, body roll spectacular, roadholding relatively poor and there's
no lateral support for passengers in the back. You have to drive them like
a bus or it'll get messy.

Then there are the parking problems when out and about,

The height will cause you the probs, rarely the width, length or weight.

and also the parking problems on the street at home.

If it's over 1525kg unladen weight (which it almost certainly will be) you
could have big probs leaving it on the street. The concession to park at
night without lights in a 30mph limit only applies to vehicles below this
weight. If plod or the neighbours get stroppy you need to find a way of
powering the lights every night, day in day out. Otherwise find somewhere
else to park it.

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 7th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Jerry wrote in
:

If I bought one for say 8k in Germany and drove it home, what would
it cost to get it UK legal?

Very little. Motorhomes don't need to undergo SVA,

What would you class as little. I'm looking for something of the
Autosleeper style with the over cab bunk.

Whatever it costs you to get it back to UK then:

- 25 registration fee plus whatever it costs for a pair of
numberplates.
- 50 or so MOT fee
- About a tenner for a bumper-mounted rear foglight (only necessary if
the 'van only has one foglight and that's mounted on the left). If you
feel flush, you might want to buy a UK offside rear light cluster to
meet with the foglamp requirement.
- Whatever you have to pay to buy a pair of headlights that dip the
correct way for UK (but you might want to keep the old units to fit
for use on the continent). These can be expensive, so you might
want to try a scrappie or two!

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old January 7th 08, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Jerry[_4_]

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:19:24 -0000, "Andy R"
wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:17:27 -0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Jerry wrote in
news
[...]

Must be better than towing and moving a caravan around?

Then there are the parking problems when out and about,

The height will cause you the probs, rarely the width, length or weight.

and also the parking problems on the street at home.

If it's over 1525kg unladen weight (which it almost certainly will be) you
could have big probs leaving it on the street. The concession to park at
night without lights in a 30mph limit only applies to vehicles below this
weight. If plod or the neighbours get stroppy you need to find a way of
powering the lights every night, day in day out.

I wonder if it would be that difficult say with LED technology. I am
thinking of getting rid of the car anyway (hardly used) so the camper
would be used every few days at least I imagine, so battery charging
etc would be OK.

need to go German. Take a look at www.mobile.de

Would this also apply to the one piece bodies like the Autosleeper
Ravenna/Polensa etc?