Aldi battery chargers

Old January 7th 08, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

Default Aldi battery chargers

Hi,

A belated Happy New Year to all here.

Now, has anyone here bought one of the Auto-XS car and motorbike
battery chargers that Aldi have recently been selling for 12.99?

After having a look at the instructions for one in the store, I though
it might be a good idea as a lay-up charger for the 110Ah 'van
battery. So I bought one. According to the manual, it is supposed to
charge at 3.8A until the battery voltage reaches about 14.4V, and then
switch to what it calls a maintenance/trickle charge. Well, it didn't
reach 14.2V before it switched to trickle charge so I exchanged it for
another. This one gets much closer to 14.4V(14.35) and then continues
to trickle charge as it's supposed to. Since connecting this one,
I've been monitoring the battery for voltage and electrolyte gassing,
level and specific gravity, and so far it appears to be maintaining
14.45V and there is no evidence of gassing or electrolyte loss(my
battery is semi-translucent which makes checking very easy), and the
SG is rising very gradually in all cells. So far, it seems to be
doing what I bought it for, quite satisfactorily.

It seems reasonably foolproof as it can't be damaged by short circuit,
reverse polarity or overheating, and the leads remain dead until a
button is pressed on the unit to activate it. Also, according to the
manual it is also suitable for use with Gel electrolyte batteries.

Just thought I'd share!

Neil

Old January 7th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

As per the Lidl one which has been offered a couple of times in the past
year, except this one handles 6v batteries as well. They are an exact copy
of, or actually made by the company selling them for 60 each. I bought one
of the Lidl units then bought a second one as soon as I worked out what they
were. Perfect they are, for maintaining batteries at peak.

Old January 7th 08, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous[_2_]

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

I think stores in different areas have different offers. We have a fairly
new Aldi and I was there on Saturday for the first time.

I didn't see any battery chargers, but they had inverters. There were two
different ones all in the same place behind a sign saying 14.99. One of
them said 150 watts and the other said 300/600 watts. (300 constant 600
peak?) We asked an assistant who said they were all 14.99, but when we
arrived at the check-out with the bigger one it came through at 24.99 so we
put it back.

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Neb

Old January 8th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Neil

I had one when they were out last time(9.99) and while it worked it was
fine
but came to it one day and just nothing, took it back, no more stock so got
my money
back !

so hope it lasts !!

Metwo

Old January 18th 08, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:50:00 -0000, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:

"Neil" wrote in message
.. .

Now, has anyone here bought one of the Auto-XS car and motorbike
battery chargers that Aldi have recently been selling for 12.99?

As per the Lidl one which has been offered a couple of times in the past
year, except this one handles 6v batteries as well. They are an exact copy
of, or actually made by the company selling them for 60 each. I bought one
of the Lidl units then bought a second one as soon as I worked out what they
were. Perfect they are, for maintaining batteries at peak.

Thanks for that Harry.

You prompted me to dig out the leaflet for a certain silver coloured
battery charger, and I do believe you are correct - the resemblance is
remarkable!

As for the test of the one connected to the 'van battery, the specific
gravity is now 1.3 in all cells with no loss of electrolyte. The
trickle charge which was a constant 78mA, has now stopped
automatically. Looking at the manual and also the leaflet for a
"similar" looking charger suggests that the battery will continue to
receive pulses at 78mA in response to measurements of the battery
condition for as long as the charger remains connected.

I'm quite impressed, so I've just gone out and bought another for the
AGM and gel cell batteries I've got here.

Neil

Old January 18th 08, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:32:24 -0000, "METWO"
wrote:

Hi Neil

I had one when they were out last time(9.99) and while it worked it was
fine
but came to it one day and just nothing, took it back, no more stock so got
my money
back !

so hope it lasts !!

Metwo

So do I! For what it delivers it seems very good value!

Neil