VW German campervan

Old January 8th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

Default VW German campervan

From: "Geoff Lane"
Subject: Date: 08 January 2008 10:22

Josiah Jenkins wrote in
:

You may not *have* the plates !!!

***As Far As I Know***
The "registered keeper" has to return them (for destruction)
to the local licencing office on disposal of the vehicle.

Can anyone confirm or otherwise ?

As far as I know from research into importing a German van for myself:

Each German licence plate is personal and area-specific. Every time a
vehicle changes hands or the owner moves region new plates are required.

AFAICT, when you buy a German vehicle you must either register it in
Germany (which implies have an address to use over there) or purchase
export plates before you can use it on German roads.

Again AFAICT, export plates are distinctive and marked with the date by
which the vehicle must have left Germany and after which the plates are
not valid. AFAICT, this date is the date on which the compulsory, short-
term, third-party, export insurance expires and are typically only valid
for 14 days.

See http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/importing.htm and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_car_number_plates for more info.

HTH,

--
Geoff

Geoff.
thanks for the time to reply...

I think the guy was thinking of driving it over (legally, its his with ins
and TUEV etc) then just swopping it with me, so could say having a holiday,
then coming accross a good deal...so doesnt want to drive it back to
Germany,. yes i know doesnt seem the normal way of going about things..(i
know peole in Germany wanted to buy my BMW touring, sought after over there,
and not common to find a mid 90's, even with it being RHD)

I havent heard from him yet, but i guess under EU law, we can swop, although
knowing German reguations, it wouldnt be so simple, but once here and signed
over, there isnt too much they can do...yes if they wanted the license
plates back..not much i could do.

I do have a address in Berlin i could use (that i used to set up a German
bank acc)

I love going around Europe, and in a few months have to drive to Italy, then
i go back upto Poland and Germany etc...

I cant afford to buy a campervan, so the swop would be ideal for me, i have
been offerd a old caravan, for 150quid, which i could easily tow with the
bimmer, but i wouldnt be happy towing a caravan for 5000 miles, esp with no
experiance in that...and a camper would be cool