France Newbie - Region / Ste Recs

Old January 11th 08, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JRS

Default France Newbie - Region / Ste Recs

I am taking caravan to France for first time this year (July / August) and
wondered if anyone could recommend any regions / sites. I have the CC Europe
guide but would like to hear some personal recommendations.

I don't want to travel too far from the port (max 200 miles if poss) and am
keen that the site and its facilities are immaculately clean and well
maintained with UK style loos. Fairly quiet with not too many pitches if
poss.

It would be nice if the site had a pool and even better if it is indoors.
don't mind a few other facilities but don't want 'holiday camp' type site.

I would like a clean, safe, sandy beach within 5 miles if poss for the
kids - (aged 10 and 12). Walking, vineyards and nice towns / food close by
would be fantastic.

I know weather can't be guaranteed but would like to give ourselves best
chance of good weather. Some have recommended the vendee region but other
have said it is bedlam at that time of year - we don't want too many other
people around - I'm grumpy!

I like CC and CCC spacing's and general feel and have found some UK
commercial sites cramped, busy and not enough loo cleans per day!

Price is not an issue.

Thanks

Jon

Old January 11th 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"JRS" wrote in message
I am taking caravan to France for first time this year (July / August) and
wondered if anyone could recommend any regions / sites. I have the CC
Europe
guide but would like to hear some personal recommendations.

I don't want to travel too far from the port (max 200 miles if poss) and
am
keen that the site and its facilities are immaculately clean and well
maintained with UK style loos. Fairly quiet with not too many pitches if
poss.

It would be nice if the site had a pool and even better if it is indoors.
don't mind a few other facilities but don't want 'holiday camp' type site.

I would like a clean, safe, sandy beach within 5 miles if poss for the
kids - (aged 10 and 12). Walking, vineyards and nice towns / food close by
would be fantastic.

snip

Jon

200 miles max and 5 from a beach really only puts you in Normandy. Another
100 miles could get you into the north coast of Brittany. We returned to
Normandy and Brittany for the first time for many years last September and
if it would be useful you can read about where we went here
http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/septe...ern_france.htm and you can
also follow the links the the sites we used. We used two nice sites either
side of the Cherbourg Peninsular Camping le Cormoran and Camping Haliotis
both of which can be booked via the Caravan Club.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old January 12th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

You could go inland to La Croix du Vieux Pont in Berny Riviere. It has
everything that children could wish for including sandy beach on one of
their lakes. They have 3 pools and many facilities - look it up on the web.
They also run a bus every week from the site to Paris and another to
Disneyland. The site is immaculate and well kept.

Old January 13th 08, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Stewart" wrote in message
You could go inland to La Croix du Vieux Pont in Berny Riviere. It has
everything that children could wish for including sandy beach on one of
their lakes. They have 3 pools and many facilities - look it up on the
web. They also run a bus every week from the site to Paris and another to
Disneyland. The site is immaculate and well kept.

That's something worth noting. The French know how to use their rivers and
lakes for leisure. In the UK it's extremely rare for lakes or rivers to
have 'beach' type areas whereas in France it's common and they are well
used.

If you don't mind going a bit further the Ardeche is spectacular, has good
weather and has many safe rivers to swim, pedaloe, canoe or dive into with
many 'beaches' to play on.

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 13th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"JRS" wrote in message
[...]

Jon,
We have been camping and caravanning in France since 1982 but it is
difficult to give advice because two of our three kids were grown up before
we went abroad and the youngest does not really thank us for subjecting her
to our idea of camping paradise. I am sure the parent of any teenager
understands. I love camping in France but have never, ever, prebooked a
site. French camp sites are like French bars. You do not pay until you
decide to leave. You can spend all evening in a French bar with friends and
it is not until you leave that the patron reckons up the bill. I have never
known it to be incorrect. Same with the camping. I am a touring caravanner
and we never know exactly how long we will be anywhere. In France you
present yourself at the office on the evening before you are moving on and
pay up for the time you have spent at the site.
The beaches of the Vendée are second to none and the area around St Jeans De
Monts has many campsites to suit families. Likewise at Royan. If you want
vineyards then it is Bourgogne with no beaches or Bordeaux with beaches
along the Gironde that are not really 'teenager friendly' unless you push on
to the Arcachon area on the Atlantic coast. On a lesser scale The Loire
Valley has fewer vineyards but many beautiful buildings. Would it suit
teenagers?. I do not know. Normandy and Brittany are fantastic but the
weather is just as variable as the south of England. The area around
Bordeaux and south to the Mediterranean and the Languedoc are our favoured
places but we are almost seventy
Thinking a bit more about it I would recommend somewhere near Royan. Lively
but not too noisy. Beaches, yes. Good shops in the town centre. Many
kilometres of cycle paths. Find a lively commercial site in this area and I
do not think you will go wrong.
Regards.
Dave.
You can see the Isle of Wight from he-)

Old January 19th 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Foster

"Dave D" wrote in message

"JRS" wrote in message
[...]

Only things missing(?)
Basque area (Atlantic coast)
Catalan area (Med coast)
Rhone Alps (Lakes Geneva, Annecy - paragliding trips, Bourget)
etc.
As a generalisation, the French like to take one's money but always offer
value. Just returned from a C&CC site - Toilet block closed, daily, for two
hours for cleaning (as are CC sites) - not known it to happen in France (nor
Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Austria and Germany) - mind you, the further
south you venture the more likely you are to encounter 'mixed' ablutions.
Keith