Oil Change

Old January 11th 08, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dutchman

Default Oil Change

Thinking of changing the oil in my ducato 2.8 JTD 2003 this weekend. Any
ideas if using fully synthetic such as Total 9000 would be an advantage over
semi-syth as used in the past Thanks

Old January 13th 08, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Custard" ignore the wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:14:51 -0000, "Andy R"
wrote:

"Custard" ignore the
wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:53:27 GMT, "Dutchman"
wrote:

Thinking of changing the oil in my ducato 2.8 JTD 2003 this weekend.
Any
ideas if using fully synthetic such as Total 9000 would be an advantage
over
semi-syth as used in the past Thanks

NO
Just use bog standard Diesel Oil.

The manual for the vehicle details the exact specifications the oil is
required to meet, IIRC a semi synthetic but I can't remember the precise
standards. Simply read the book and follow the instructions, you are then
in known territory and are less likely to get any nasty surprises. I
wouldn't use 'bog standard oil' unless you are an expert in this field and
don't mind using your vehicle as a test bed.

Rgds

Andy R

Using Bog standard Detergent Diesel oil isn't going to do any damage
at all.

Can you provide an authoratitive source for this wisdom? Could you pls also
specify which international standards your 'bog standard' oil conforms to
and what testing was done with it on these engines?

Using one of todays synthetic oils mixed with other oils WILL cause
problems.

Again, this needs to be checked.

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 14th 08, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Custard" ignore the wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:46:21 -0000, "Andy R"
wrote:

Using Bog standard Detergent Diesel oil isn't going to do any damage
at all.

Can you provide an authoratitive source for this wisdom?

Yeah sure. Pick up any Haynes manual

The last time I used a Haynes manual the technical specification for the
type of oil to be used reflected exactly the vehicle's hand book. Indeed,
I'd be surprised if it did anything else as it'd leave them open to claims
for damages.

Could you pls also
specify which international standards your 'bog standard' oil conforms to
and what testing was done with it on these engines?

Read the side of the Oil Container

Most oil containers state the standards the oil meets, you simply compare
these to the specs required for your vehicle and, if the oil meets or
surpasses these standards then you can safely use it.

Oil at the bottom end of the market, which I assume is what you refer to as
'bog standard', often doesn't meet the standards required for modern,
particularly turbo-charged, engines. As mentioned earlier, it's not hard to
check, just look in the vehicle handbook.

So far you haven't even mentioned viscosity although I suspect you'd
recommend anything that's runny enough to get out of the tin on its own.

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 15th 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"John Scott" wrote in message
Looks like its Fully syth check http://www.commaoil.com then go to
application guide. This is part of the Esso/Mobile group. The JTD is the
same as HDI and should have fully synthetic diesel oil

My 2.8 JTD manual says semi-synthetic. I'll trust the manufacturer rather
than a third party.

Rgds

Andy R