Brainwave - Upgrading motorhome chassis cabs.

Old January 12th 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lefty

Default Brainwave - Upgrading motorhome chassis cabs.

Use to work fitting bodies to various chassis cabs, suh as Lutons,
Pickups, Flat beds.

It's just occured to me that, in theory, it should be fairly
straightforward to remove a luton camper body from an old chassis, and
put it on a newer chassis. Say a transit 1994 upgrade to a transit
2001 or whatever. The chassis cabs are completely self contained so no
complicated issues there.

So if you had a 1994 camper with an immaculate body worth about 6k,
for a few grand you could upgrade the chassis cab to a 2001 or
something and the money it costs would be more than recouped in the
new camper value!

Ever been done before?
Old January 15th 08, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"Lefty" wrote in message
Use to work fitting bodies to various chassis cabs, suh as Lutons,
Pickups, Flat beds.

It's just occured to me that, in theory, it should be fairly
straightforward to remove a luton camper body from an old chassis, and
put it on a newer chassis. Say a transit 1994 upgrade to a transit
2001 or whatever. The chassis cabs are completely self contained so no
complicated issues there.

So if you had a 1994 camper with an immaculate body worth about 6k,
for a few grand you could upgrade the chassis cab to a 2001 or
something and the money it costs would be more than recouped in the
new camper value!

Ever been done before?

Think you will find that the way the Coachbuilts are built that you can not
just take off the camping body and stick it on another chassis.

Old January 15th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On 15 Jan, 11:59, "Campa-Man" wrote:
"Lefty" wrote in message

Use to work fitting bodies to various chassis cabs, suh as Lutons,
Pickups, Flat beds.

It's just occured to me that, in theory, it should be fairly
straightforward to remove a luton camper body from an old chassis, and
put it on a newer chassis. Say a transit 1994 upgrade to a transit
2001 or whatever. The chassis cabs are completely self contained so no
complicated issues there.

So if you had a 1994 camper with an immaculate body worth about 6k,
for a few grand you could upgrade the chassis cab to a 2001 or
something and the money it costs would be more than recouped in the
new camper value!

Ever been done before?

Think you will find that the way the Coachbuilts are built that you can not
just take off the camping body and stick it on another chassis.

It would be a lot easier mounting a caravan on to the chassis

Steve
Old January 18th 08, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
KM[_3_]

wrote:
|| On 15 Jan, 11:59, "Campa-Man"
|| wrote:
||| Think you will find that the way the Coachbuilts are built that you
||| can not just take off the camping body and stick it on another
||| chassis.
|| It would be a lot easier mounting a caravan on to the chassis
|| Steve

I have always wondered what happens to Coachbuilts when the Cab goes end of
life but there is still lots of life left in the living quarters... I have a
Swift 550 on a VW T4 chassis (not the best choice I agree), and I have often
thought if it would be possible to buy a new Cab/Chassis and transplant the
back end. Has anyone actually done this? It appears that the back end is
held on by 4 bloody big bolts
--
===========================
Martyn K

http://www.czd.org.uk

Old January 18th 08, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lefty

"Lefty" wrote in message

[...]

Not quite the same I'm afraid.

The coachbuilt unit is completely self contained and simple as it
sounds is bolt on. Look at it as a slightly more complicated version
of a Luton body. Not easy but easily achievable.

I'm just amazed no one appears to have done it, although it would
appear the DIYers do not stem from the more expensive camper market so
maybe messing around with a 10/15k camper is considered a bit risky.

I'll give it a go, one day I'm sure :-)

Old June 1st 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
bill wilhelm

I have a 1980 bedford that has seen better days with a ventura camper on the
back and just about to remove it from that chasis and put it on a 1995 ford
transit ex ambulance. It is difficult to due but with some early preparation
and makeing sure all screws and bolts are free and the camper moves alittle
useing a two post ramp and some supports we feel that it should lift right
off.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/13151786.aspx