fotos up of VW

Old January 14th 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

Default fotos up of VW

Hi all

Got fotos up on my site...please take a look at let me know what yo think.
it looks better in the flesh..

Any tips etc, that will make life better on a months Euro trip...electrics,
gas, water...things you have found out over the years...

www.julianhales.co.uk

ta!!!

Old January 14th 08, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
caroline

"Jules" wrote
Hi all

Got fotos up on my site...please take a look at let me know what yo think.
it looks better in the flesh..

Any tips etc, that will make life better on a months Euro
trip...electrics, gas, water...things you have found out over the years...

www.julianhales.co.uk

ta!!!

Very nice. I have one of those too
A 1.9D '84 T25 (originally a 1.6D)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...atcampsite.jpg

Here is the '79 Bay Westy mentioned in my other post.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...rafflebus1.jpg

Oh,and a '71 Bay Pickup

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../71pickup2.jpg

A '70 1200 Beetle

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ybackright.jpg

Two more beetles, '72 1200 & '73 GT, and a rolling chassis from a '74
beetle...
You may have guessed, classic vws are a bit of a passion of ours...

With regards to yours, looks ok to me. Water-cooled. What engine do you
have, and what year is it?
Looking at your earlier posts I see you mentioned '79....this would be
HIGHLY unlikely....the first couple of production years for T25 were
*air-cooled* only...and yours is most *definitely* water-cooled, so anywhere
from '83 onwards.
That interior is going to need some serious work if you're going to any
extended camping it.

Here's some pics of my T25 interior, which hopefully should give you some
ideas of what can be made to fit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...us/ZigUnit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...%20Bus/bed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fridgeopen.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...%20Bus/bed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rivingArea.jpg

And here's a pic of the bay window's interior. Slightly less room, but just
as workable.

http://www.type2ireland.org/charitybus/012.jpg
http://www.type2ireland.org/charitybus/014.jpg
http://www.type2ireland.org/charitybus/011.jpg

Also, if you're heading away in April. Try to get as much camping under
your belt as you can before you go. Its only by using it for your intended
purpose that you work out what extras are needed, whether the interior
you've set up is workable, and what bits are superfluous.

Old January 15th 08, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

"caroline" wrote in message
[...]

i once drove a british kaefer, hated it, fun with the weight at the back,
but not my cup of tee, i know someome in Berlin, but bought one of the last
off the production like, retrofitted and ltd ed and worth a absolute fortune
in Germany...looks really old but is newish

With regards to yours, looks ok to me. Water-cooled. What engine do you
have, and what year is it?

ok its aircooled, now having gone through the mass of German paper work...2
dates come up often on everything on lots of them

15.05.79 datum zu K

Tag Der ersten Zulassung 23.12.83

Looking at your earlier posts I see you mentioned '79....this would be
HIGHLY unlikely....the first couple of production years for T25 were
*air-cooled* only...and yours is most *definitely* water-cooled, so
anywhere from '83 onwards.
That interior is going to need some serious work if you're going to any
extended camping it.

Here's some pics of my T25 interior, which hopefully should give you some
ideas of what can be made to fit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...us/ZigUnit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...%20Bus/bed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fridgeopen.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...%20Bus/bed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rivingArea.jpg

yes ta. was even dreaming about it last night.. :-)

And here's a pic of the bay window's interior. Slightly less room, but
just as workable.

http://www.type2ireland.org/charitybus/012.jpg
http://www.type2ireland.org/charitybus/014.jpg
http://www.type2ireland.org/charitybus/011.jpg

Also, if you're heading away in April. Try to get as much camping under
your belt as you can before you go. Its only by using it for your
intended purpose that you work out what extras are needed, whether the
interior you've set up is workable, and what bits are superfluous.

yup. got a couple of ideas and will go out locally and see what im missing
or what i think works better

Old January 15th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

ok its aircooled, now having gone through the mass of German paper
work...2 dates come up often on everything on lots of them

That doesn't seem right, as from the pictures it has the bottom grill which
was for the watercooled ones. Are you sure it is not the Watercooled 1.9
petrol?

Also agree that the 1983 date would seem to be the one.

Old January 15th 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

ok its aircooled, now having gone through the mass of German paper
work...2 dates come up often on everything on lots of them

That doesn't seem right, as from the pictures it has the bottom grill
which was for the watercooled ones. Are you sure it is not the Watercooled
1.9 petrol?

well its petrol :-) i was only going on what the Oz guy told me (it was his
German girlfriends and paperwork in her name) and she didnt know the
differance.

The engine reciepts from 05 for 2300eu (breakdown of all parts, inc 1000eu
for L and R cylinder heads), i can understand a bit, but a lot is
handwritten and cant make out sod all...

Im off to my local mechanice on Thur, so he will be able to tell me...

Also agree that the 1983 date would seem to be the one.

thanks...i can tell a early or late car, which year..spec etc on 70 and 80's
Celica's cos had loads, but this being my first VW etc its all
new...learning bits as i go along, so please dont think im stuuuupid :-)

Old January 15th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
caroline

"Jules" wrote

"caroline" wrote in message

With regards to yours, looks ok to me. Water-cooled. What engine do you
have, and what year is it?

ok its aircooled, now having gone through the mass of German paper
work...2 dates come up often on everything on lots of them

No, its *definitely* **NOT** air-cooled....You have 2 grills on the front,
and if you look under them you'll see a dirty great radiator...this I
promise!
Air-cooled vans don't have the lower grill, because they don't have a
radiator, and don't need the extra grill
Its is most definitely a *water-cooled* van.

If for some extremely bizarre reason someone has done an air-cooled
conversion I'd walk away from it as fast you can, preferably after you've
pushed it off a cliff!

15.05.79 datum zu K

They didn't make water-cooled T25's in '79. Even if it was manufactured in
'79 and registered later, its would NEVER have been water-cooled, and would
only have *ONE* grill on the front.

Someone has either hugely dicked around with this van or you have false
paperwork.

The information you are giving me is throwing up *HUGE* warning sirens in my
mind!

Old January 15th 08, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

"caroline" wrote in message
"Jules" wrote

"caroline" wrote in message

With regards to yours, looks ok to me. Water-cooled. What engine do
you have, and what year is it?

ok its aircooled, now having gone through the mass of German paper
work...2 dates come up often on everything on lots of them

No, its *definitely* **NOT** air-cooled....You have 2 grills on the front,
and if you look under them you'll see a dirty great radiator...this I
promise!
Air-cooled vans don't have the lower grill, because they don't have a
radiator, and don't need the extra grill
Its is most definitely a *water-cooled* van.

yes i looked...i can see a big rad behind the grill...in the engine bay
seems to be lots of water pipes.

If for some extremely bizarre reason someone has done an air-cooled
conversion I'd walk away from it as fast you can, preferably after you've
pushed it off a cliff!

15.05.79 datum zu K

They didn't make water-cooled T25's in '79. Even if it was manufactured
in '79 and registered later, its would NEVER have been water-cooled, and
would only have *ONE* grill on the front.

Someone has either hugely dicked around with this van or you have false
paperwork.

The information you are giving me is throwing up *HUGE* warning sirens in
my mind!

i opened the rear hatch (broke key inside barrel) from the inside after
taking the inside panel off and took a look at the engine.

It has a tag, from the garage who fitted it (tells type of oil to use etc
etc) the date and some info and it matches the paper work, which matches all
the chassis numbers (number plates have changed as its been in W and E
Germany)

\Where would i find the chassis number? i found some FAQs online but didnt
tell me this

Im a little drunk...me and next door was sat inside it (on the drive)
exploring it and playing around...

Where would i find the rear fog light switch? someone as you can see, has
fitted the 2 front fogs (found that switch!!)

I found a fog light switch on the dash, with a little LED and a 2 throw
switch....only seems to work the fronts.

The guy flew back to Berlin, then drove it over for me last week (hes
working here for a year, hence wanted a English car, and with a new baby and
here, no use for the camper)

I know the headlights, and if has a single fog light, that needs changing,
oh and the broken locks for the MOT

Old January 16th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

\Where would i find the chassis number? i found some FAQs online but
didnt tell me this

If you look under the front just behind the front wheels you will find the
Chassis number stamped into the chassis, think it will be on the UK offside,
passengers side for your van.

Im a little drunk...me and next door was sat inside it (on the drive)
exploring it and playing around...

Where would i find the rear fog light switch? someone as you can see, has
fitted the 2 front fogs (found that switch!!)

Probably be an aftermarket switch as German vans of that era didn't have to
have to have a rear fog light although UK spec ones did. I fitted a single
one from Halfords on mine.

I found a fog light switch on the dash, with a little LED and a 2 throw
switch....only seems to work the fronts.

The guy flew back to Berlin, then drove it over for me last week (hes
working here for a year, hence wanted a English car, and with a new baby
and here, no use for the camper)

I know the headlights, and if has a single fog light, that needs changing,
oh and the broken locks for the MOT

You can pass a mot with beam benders on. Not sure at what year you need the
fog light for the UK, but easy enough to fit one.

Old January 16th 08, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

\Where would i find the chassis number? i found some FAQs online but
didnt tell me this

If you look under the front just behind the front wheels you will find the
Chassis number stamped into the chassis, think it will be on the UK
offside, passengers side for your van.

couldnt see it but will look again better in daylight tomorrow

Im a little drunk...me and next door was sat inside it (on the drive)
exploring it and playing around...

Where would i find the rear fog light switch? someone as you can see, has
fitted the 2 front fogs (found that switch!!)

Probably be an aftermarket switch as German vans of that era didn't have
to have to have a rear fog light although UK spec ones did. I fitted a
single one from Halfords on mine.

It seems pretty simple to fit, i know if it was fitted to only one side in
Germany, it has to be switched to the other side...but not sure if it must
have one if none at all, i had many oldish cars that had none as standard
and was fine..

I found a fog light switch on the dash, with a little LED and a 2 throw
switch....only seems to work the fronts.

The guy flew back to Berlin, then drove it over for me last week (hes
working here for a year, hence wanted a English car, and with a new baby
and here, no use for the camper)

I know the headlights, and if has a single fog light, that needs
changing, oh and the broken locks for the MOT

You can pass a mot with beam benders on. Not sure at what year you need
the fog light for the UK, but easy enough to fit one.

looking agian online, if i can get the good taped masked, that is fine too.

Old January 17th 08, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"Jules" wrote in message
. uk...

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

[...]

Rear fog light required from 1st April 1980

See here for more info http://www.motuk.co.uk/default.asp